RAF Jurong and Operation Rimau

I arrived in Singapore in late November 1967, I arrived at Jurong a few weeks later just before Christmas which was after the exhumation of the bodies, so I'm I afraid that cannot tell you very much more then I have. Perhaps the chaps at Jurong who were there before me can be of more help.

The only other information I have is, RAF Jurong was originally Radio Malaya, when the Japanese invaded they took the site over for their own use. At the end of the war the RAF took over from the Japanese. If I remember correctly it was also shared with Cable and Wireless during my time there.

Last edited:
Thanks Brit, sorry to be such a pain but really appreciate your help.

It seems odd that the War Graves Commission said they were the remains of the Rimau men when there records would have shown them already exhumed in 1946. Too odd, no smoke without fire maybe…

I’ve tried to work out whereabouts RAF Jurong was on google maps and guessing somewhere around the outskirts of the University and facing I guess the straits which would obviously be perfect as an outpost for either the Japanese or RAF. Whether they held POWs their might be anyone’s guess, I can’t find anything yet.

I’m afraid I think you need to be RAF (or ex) and have been stationed at Jurong to have access to that. I did put a request through but then read the conditions so as a civvy, it’s unlikely for me to have access. If you had contact name, that would be great – I’m not sure if Mick is still checking this site.

Brit, many, many thanks again

Best wishes

Last edited:
Thanks Brit, sorry to be such a pain but really appreciate your help.

It seems odd that the War Graves Commission said they were the remains of the Rimau men when there records would have shown them already exhumed in 1946. Too odd, no smoke without fire maybe…

I’ve tried to work out whereabouts RAF Jurong was on google maps and guessing somewhere around the outskirts of the University and facing I guess the straits which would obviously be perfect as an outpost for either the Japanese or RAF. Whether they held POWs their might be anyone’s guess, I can’t find anything yet.

I’m afraid I think you need to be RAF (or ex) and have been stationed at Jurong to have access to that. I did put a request through but then read the conditions so as a civvy, it’s unlikely for me to have access. If you had contact name, that would be great – I’m not sure if Mick is still checking this site.

Brit, many, many thanks again

Best wishes

My pleasure. It also took me a while to find out exactly what happened to my uncle John. Until a couple of years ago before contacting FEPOW I didn't know that he actually died on the Sandekan Death March on 26th March 1945. The Japs said he died of Malaria, they failed to mention the beatings and starvation handed out to the POW's by the bastards. Only 6 Aussies survived because they managed to escape, the rest were deliberately and systematically murdered. My dad had a deep seated hatred of the Japanese until the day he died. My granddad, grandmother and my two aunts never got over Johns death, my grandmother kept a light in her window until she died, which was carried on by my aunts after her death.

Curiously my dad died on 30th March this year, my uncle John died on 26th March 1945, which as you can see, is very close to the anniversary of my uncle Johns death.

A few of us have been trying to find the actual location of RAF Jurong using Google Earth, everything has obviously changed quite a bit. The only guide I can give you is, Jurong was on the South West side of Nangyang University.

I have also been trying to find out what POW's were at Jurong, but I have hit a bit of a brick wall.

Don't hesitate to ask if I can be of more help.

Last edited:
Brit, it is truly heartbreaking to hear the stories from the Sandakan Death March and other FEPOWs tragedies, even more so when hearing the pain and loss from the families themselves. My deepest sympathy to you and your family and for your great losses then and now with your father’s passing this year.

For your father passing only days after the anniversary of your uncle’s death, certainly is very curious, it must have been incredibly hard on him. The anniversaries become any less painful with time.

For the families of the FEPOWs that never made it home, so many like yours waited for years to find out what truly happened to their loved one, details being inaccurate and very difficult to substantiate due to the lack of witnesses left.

Many were told that they were MIA, and still held out hope for some time after the war that their men were delayed in the ensuing chaos after trying to repatriate the soldiers. I wonder how many families left a light on or lit a candle in a window like your Grandmother; I have heard a number of others doing the same.

Others were told, like your family, that their men had died of malaria... it was the most common cause of death given by the Japs regardless of what had actually happened and to cover up massacres and executions. Of course, malaria was extremely widespread and the lack of medical supplies would indeed lead to the loss of many.

It is almost beyond comprehension today, the sheer size of the Second World War, the devastation felt by so many millions over all continents. It must never be forgotten.

Out of the 2434 prisoners incarcerated at Sandakan, 1787 were Australian and 641 were British. And as you say, only 6 Australians survived because they escaped and were helped by the locals. Absolutely truly shocking and tragic.

Brit, have you read Lynette Silver’s ‘Sandakan, Conspiracy of Silence’? She is quite approachable and very knowledgeable – maybe she might be able to help work out more the location of your uncle’s death with the date that you have?

http://sandakan-deathmarch.com/

http://lynettesilver.com/

And a link to more of the Japanese War Atrocities for those who are less aware and interested to learn more:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Japanese_war_atrocities

Regarding the location of RAF Jurong, yes, I saw that from the site that attempts were being made to give the exact location of the station, would this be what you thought to? I tried looking at some maps from Singapore online but it is very difficult to work out. If I come across anything meaningful, I shall certainly send on to you. On one site, they indicate that it was very close to the Jurong Bird Park? It must be on RAF archives I guess.

A cheeky favour, but would you be able to ask the RAF Jurong forum if any there remember any more details about the exhumation from 1967 and if they would be willing to speak to me? I will see if I can find anything more out too from other organisations and let you know what I find.

Many thanks Brit and my very best wishes to you and yours

Brit, it is truly heartbreaking to hear the stories from the Sandakan Death March and other FEPOWs tragedies, even more so when hearing the pain and loss from the families themselves. My deepest sympathy to you and your family and for your great losses then and now with your father’s passing this year.

I didn't know that much about the Sandekan Death Marches until a couple of years ago. Many years ago I was shown a post card from my uncle John when he was a POW simply saying "I am well." which was all he was allowed to say. Then a couple of years ago I began to do a bit more research and the more I looked into it the more angry I became, I then too began to feel a deep hatred for the Japanese. I also lost a family member who was a rear gunner in Bomber Command, he's buried somewhere in Southern Germany, but I don't feel any hatred for German gunners, or any Germans whatsoever, they were doing their job. A few chaps I worked with were POW's in Germany, they were treated fairly. But as regard to the Japanese, what they did to POW's was out and out torture and murder.

For your father passing only days after the anniversary of your uncle’s death, certainly is very curious, it must have been incredibly hard on him. The anniversaries become any less painful with time.

I kept the details of my Uncle John from my dad as he was in his 80's and didn't need any more grief.

For the families of the FEPOWs that never made it home, so many like yours waited for years to find out what truly happened to their loved one, details being inaccurate and very difficult to substantiate due to the lack of witnesses left.

The Japanese made sure there wasn't many if any witness's. I still get angry when I think about it.

Many were told that they were MIA, and still held out hope for some time after the war that their men were delayed in the ensuing chaos after trying to repatriate the soldiers. I wonder how many families left a light on or lit a candle in a window like your Grandmother; I have heard a number of others doing the same.

My family thought that he might be alive and living in Australia, my Granddad and Grandmother took that hope to their graves. In a way I am glad they never learned the whole truth. When I was in Singapore I found his name on the wall at Kranji, took a few photo's and sent them home. They at least had some closure that they finally knew he wasn't coming home.

Others were told, like your family, that their men had died of malaria... it was the most common cause of death given by the Japs regardless of what had actually happened and to cover up massacres and executions. Of course, malaria was extremely widespread and the lack of medical supplies would indeed lead to the loss of many.

I worked with a chap many years ago who was a POW of the Japanese, he was forever ill and died far too soon due to the treatment handed out to him. He was a really nice chap, it was such a shame he died so young

It is almost beyond comprehension today, the sheer size of the Second World War, the devastation felt by so many millions over all continents. It must never be forgotten.

Out of the 2434 prisoners incarcerated at Sandakan, 1787 were Australian and 641 were British. And as you say, only 6 Australians survived because they escaped and were helped by the locals. Absolutely truly shocking and tragic.

What angers me greatly, the Japanese have never apologised for their actions, they even deny their vicious treatment of POW's. Schools in Japan are never taught what their forefathers did during WW2 and before that in China. I find it disgusting. Leonard Cheshire VC was an observer to one of the Atom bombs drops, while on a visit to Japan a journalist asked him how it feels to be a war criminal. If I had been Cheshire I would have beat the living crap out of him and reminded of the Japanese atrocities.

Brit, have you read Lynette Silver’s ‘Sandakan, Conspiracy of Silence’? She is quite approachable and very knowledgeable – maybe she might be able to help work out more the location of your uncle’s death with the date that you have?

http://sandakan-deathmarch.com/

http://lynettesilver.com/

And a link to more of the Japanese War Atrocities for those who are less aware and interested to learn more:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Japanese_war_atrocities

I cannot remember if I have read Lynette Silver’s ‘Sandakan, Conspiracy of Silence. My uncle is just one of many who is buried somewhere along the route of the death march, I think finding an actual location of where he is would be impossible.

Regarding the location of RAF Jurong, yes, I saw that from the site that attempts were being made to give the exact location of the station, would this be what you thought to? I tried looking at some maps from Singapore online but it is very difficult to work out. If I come across anything meaningful, I shall certainly send on to you. On one site, they indicate that it was very close to the Jurong Bird Park? It must be on RAF archives I guess.

A cheeky favour, but would you be able to ask the RAF Jurong forum if any there remember any more details about the exhumation from 1967 and if they would be willing to speak to me? I will see if I can find anything more out too from other organisations and let you know what I find.

The owner of the site is a very good mate of mine, I've only just found out only ex Jurong personal can be members. I'll ask him if he would allow you to post as a temporary member.

Many thanks Brit and my very best wishes to you and yours

Thank you and the same to you. It was my pleasure to help where I could.

Last edited:
It must be painful, Opa Brit, to have to go through what you did. Even if one day, you find it right to forgive the people who did what they did to your family, you will not forget, I can only deduce?

Just to get my bearings right, Opa Brit, was it suppose to be a hush-hush thingy? That station, I mean...

I tried, without much success, to try to use to locate Radio Malaya, then I thought I could pin point the location, didn't do much success there...

That BBC transmission relay station in Kranji was set up after the way, right?

It must be painful, Opa Brit, to have to go through what you did. Even if one day, you find it right to forgive the people who did what they did to your family, you will not forget, I can only deduce?

I didn't actually go through anything Viper, it was the poor buggers who were POW's went through hell. I will never forgive the Japanese for what they did, even though I didn't actually know my Uncle John. I saw what it did to my Granddad and Granny, it tore them apart.

Just to get my bearings right, Opa Brit, was it suppose to be a hush-hush thingy? That station, I mean...

I don't think the station was supposed to be hush hush as there were Singaporeans actually living on the aerial farm as well as Cable and Wireless civi employees living in Married Quarters on the station.

I tried, without much success, to try to use to locate Radio Malaya, then I thought I could pin point the location, didn't do much success there...

I did have a road map from Singapore from when I was there, but over the years its got lost.

That BBC transmission relay station in Kranji was set up after the way, right?

I didn't know there was a relay station at Kranji, that's news to me, unless you are talking about Amoy Quee . However, there was a sub station to Jurong at Chin Bee (just down the road), firstly run by Royal Signals blokes, then taken over by the RAF.

I did have a road map from Singapore from when I was there, but over the years its got lost.

I didn't know there was a relay station at Kranji, that's news to me, unless you are talking about Amoy Quee . However, there was a sub station to Jurong at Chin Bee (just down the road), firstly run by Royal Signals blokes, then taken over by the RAF.

There were some talk that it was in teh area near the now presetn Singapore Discovery Centre. Becasue the location is going through some development, it is pretty tough to pin the exact location.

There is a BBC transmitting station in Kranji. It would seem that it was built after the war...

The one in Chin Bee is long gone, Opa...

I still owe you one thing, Opa Brit, just have not the time to do it- just be patient, dear friend...

There were some talk that it was in teh area near the now presetn Singapore Discovery Centre. Becasue the location is going through some development, it is pretty tough to pin the exact location.

What a pity we didn't have GPS back then. Jurong was an exceptional station, it was huge as far as the aerial farm was concerned, but tiny regarding personnel. The food and the accommodation were brilliant. I did a lot of favours for the cooks, and in return I got quite a few steak dinners. lol

There is a BBC transmitting station in Kranji. It would seem that it was built after the war...

I never knew that, just goes to show how much I don't know lol

The one in Chin Bee is long gone, Opa...

That's a shame, but we cannot stay in the past. I remember during one monsoon, Chin Bee was cut off, we had to borrowed a rubber dingy from the fire section to change the shifts. It was hilarious. Ah wonderful memories.

I still owe you one thing, Opa Brit, just have not the time to do it- just be patient, dear friend...

Thank you Viper, I know you are busy I would be very grateful when you can do it, but please there is no rush. Thank you again for your kindness.

Got some updated news on the location of RAF Jurong, guys.

http://goodmorningyesterday.blogspot.sg/2008/09/memories-from-old-news-clipping-2-saf.html

This particular article mentioned that the RAF Jurong premise were taken over by the 3rd Signal Battalion of the SAF. It is belive to be the site of the present Singapore Discovery Centre...

Thanks Viper that's brilliant. I wonder who took over my room??? lol

Last edited:
Opa Brit and Kabor,

I've been doing a bit of reading and small scale investigative work- based on the assumption that the 3rd SAF Signal Battalion took over the RAF Jurong premesis. This is also based on this article from Mindef Singapore-
http://www.mindef.gov.sg/imindef/mi...es/3th_Division/Brigades_Battalions_3Div.html

If that is indeed true, then RAF Jurong would be where Jurong Camp I & II now is. It is actually within 5 kilometres from my residence.

I also was looking at an old photo from one of the websites-

http://www.hariggers.co.uk/places.htm

It showed a photo of the aerial field with the Nanyang University at the background. Based on this photo, this would also indicate that RAF Jurong site is where Jurong Camp I & II is now. These two camps are also adjacent to the Discovery Centre, Singapore.

I hope I am right...

Thanks for the info Viper. Personally I rarely ventured out onto the aerial farm near the university fence, only once or twice in two and half years.

Brit, so sorry about the delay in responding, I’ve had problems with my laptop.

With my interest in Operation Rimau I undertook a lot more research and like you felt like I was peeling back more and more shocking stories for both locals and POWs in the Far East. There doesn’t seem to be much understanding or appreciation for what our (British) POWs went through in the Far East for whatever reason.

The countless atrocities and stories of torture are horrific, and one wonders what support these men got after the war. I know it was different in those days, and people kept quiet but from our understanding now of trauma, there must have been many with PTSD, let alone their health problems. From a lot more digging, the reality certainly did seep out and that many did suffer post war, died far too young, either from the physical maltreatment or mentally not recovering from it.

I am from two generations later but I can understand your anger and hatred very well.

Forgiveness is an individual thing, and it is hard to forgive a nation which has not done enough to neither admit nor apologise for the atrocities they caused; and even then forgiveness is a personal thing. There are still far too many apologists and revisionists out there. As you say, the focus goes on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. What so many fail through a lack of educating themselves but those bombs probably saved hundreds of thousands of lives, if not millions – both Japanese and Allied, civilian and military – no doubt this has been much debated before on this forum.

It probably was the kindest thing that your grandparents thought that he may be alive still in Australia and that your father didn’t know the details. Just too heart-breaking. From what you say, was that the first that knew he was dead, from looking at the Kranji war memorial?

Everything you say about the Japanese of today not being educated properly, harks back a long way, and it’s not just the Japanese, many British at least, can’t speak for the Americans and Australians, also are unaware and or on a never-ending guilt trip for the atomic bombs. We are the baddies.

Of course, MacArthur has a lot to do with it and so many of the A list war criminals and below escaped punishment, headed up corporations and had positions in the new government. Sickening. The schooling fails to present an accurate and objective picture of what led up to the war and what they did. I believe, in some cases, they are still making out that the Japanese were the heroes of the Far East for the Asians, let alone their denial of the Nanking massacre, Unit 731 and the rest.

Thank you for your PM and I’ve just replied to it. I’ll keep in touch of anything else that comes my way. Thank you so much for your time and your help.

Wishing you and yours the very best

My family didn't know for sure that my Uncle John was dead, they were never informed or assisted by the Air Ministry despite many requests and plea's for information. It was only when I visited the Kranji War Memorial in 1967 and found his name that I knew he was dead.

All the information I obtained regarding his death came from a website called FEPOW, they gave me his POW number, date of death and cause of death which according to the Japanese was Malaria. The Japanese forgot to mention starvation and beatings.

The Jewish segment of the Holocaust(rest of the victims tend to be overlooked) gets the publicity, but the Atrocities/Crimes of the Japanese would seem to be worse & more extensive but is virtually unknown in the West except for people with an interest in history

The Jewish segment of the Holocaust(rest of the victims tend to be overlooked) gets the publicity, but the Atrocities/Crimes of the Japanese would seem to be worse & more extensive but is virtually unknown in the West except for people with an interest in history

EXACTLY George. An ex 14th (British) Army soldier said, "Not only were we the forgotten Army, we are also the forgotten POW's."

As I said before, I personally knew an ex Jap POW, the poor bugger was always off sick and in constant pain, he was such a nice bloke and he died well before his time due to the treatment the Japs handed out.

There was an ex POW on TV who told of a British prisoner got hold of an egg for his sick best mate. The Japs caught him, tied him to a post, tied his legs wide open and lit a fire under his genitals. He died screaming in agony.

It is when I hear stories like this my hatred for the Japanese grows ever deeper. In all honesty I wish the Allies had invaded Japan, evacuated all the Allied POW's then nuked the place until it sank below the sea and nothing was left.

Last edited:
Back