Radio Check..Over

FULLMETALJACKET

MilForum Bad Apple
so being a RTO, I constantly ask myself, why has no one made a new communications system.

of course the Army would get it, and the Corps would get it after the Army found it useless.

but i mean.

comm's down..

how hard would it be for some thinkers to come up with something, that weighed less, less bulk, and could function better than what we got?

just a thought.

:drunkb:

Good point. I'm on a county emergency response team and our radios suck. On a good day we get ok coverage. TX/RX is ok. On a bad day, which is a good portion of when we're out, TX/RX is horrible.

All in all, we get the most disrespect from nearly anyone and it's because we're a volunteer department.

My attitude is how grateful they oughta be instead. Go pay professionals to do our work. Taxes would increase, people would whine and moan about that, then when they strip the department down to make it more cost effective, we'll get called out for a rescue and because we would be stripped down to satisfy the anti-tax nut jobs we wouldn't even have radios and someone WILL die because of our seriously dimished capability.

Can't please all the people all the time, but I guarantee you, when we are called out, everybody we rescue everytime is pretty damn glad we're there!

So what are ya humpin the 119? Man you shoulda had to deal with the 77. Talk about no joy. You'd be doin good to be able to talk line of sight.

Good thing about a 77 was this. If you held it at waist level and performed a drop test on it, it might actually start working.

hehehe.
Well I wasn't the radio op so I wouldn't know the intricate details.
Good thing about being bad at understanding Korean communicated over phone or radio: I don't have to carry the damn thing ever. The bad news: NBC stuff is even heavier.

So what are ya humpin the 119? Man you shoulda had to deal with the 77. Talk about no joy. You'd be doin good to be able to talk line of sight.
Nah, Kenwoods, mostly. The Motorolas have difficulty with LOS sometimes though.
I love my Kenwood. At least it works! :rambo:

Good thing about a 77 was this. If you held it at waist level and performed a drop test on it, it might actually start working.

As long as you feed the hampster that runs in the wheel and pwoers the damn anchient thing:)

Oh come now,
The 77 is a fine piece of military hardware........:firedevi:

At least you didnt hear the valves warm up like the 524 vehicle mount.
And most grunts could operate on, same cant be said about the newer technology.
I did find with a 77, it was all about the Antenna setup, sometimes don-10 (field telephone wire) can be your friend.

Oh come now,
The 77 is a fine piece of military hardware........:firedevi:

At least you didnt hear the valves warm up like the 524 vehicle mount.
And most grunts could operate on, same cant be said about the newer technology.
I did find with a 77, it was all about the Antenna setup, sometimes don-10 (field telephone wire) can be your friend.

Yeah with a field expedient antenna you could make a good directional out of slash wire. You actually got range and comm then, but it was no good on the move. Didn't always work if you had KY gear but was in the clear.

and how about the PRC 104 you could talk to someone 2000 miles away but couldn't talk to a ship 4 miles off the coast. And lets not get started on the PRC 75.

Last edited:
So you humpin it for the PC or the CO? Could work out in your favor if you do a good job and don't ***** about it.

Back