R.I.P.

I don't know if you remember this story:-

A World War Two veteran who disappeared from his nursing home to attend the D-Day commemorations in France is on his way back to the UK.

Bernard Jordan, 89, left the home in Hove unannounced at 10:30 BST on Thursday and was reported missing to Sussex Police that evening.

Staff later discovered he had joined other veterans in France.

The former Royal Navy officer said he hoped his trip would not land him in trouble.

On Friday evening, it was confirmed Mr Jordan was on an overnight ferry and had been given a cabin, meals and a transfer back to his nursing home.

He recently passed away but left £600,000 to the Royal National Life Boat Institute. A hero in death as he was in life.

Yes, I do remember this story.^^^^.
Wonderful one at that.
R.I.P. to another great man.
Royal Navy Officer Bernard Jordan.

A World War Two veteran who disappeared from his nursing home to attend the D-Day commemorations in France is on his way back to the UK.

Bernard Jordan, 89, left the home in Hove unannounced at 10:30 BST on Thursday and was reported missing to Sussex Police that evening.

The former Royal Navy officer said he hoped his trip would not land him in trouble.

On Friday evening, it was confirmed Mr Jordan was on an overnight ferry and had been given a cabin, meals and a transfer back to his nursing home.

He recently passed away but left £600,000 to the Royal National Life Boat Institute. A hero in death as he was in life.

A sneaky bugger to, too have fooled them all like he did.

Otto Carius, a World War II German panzer ace has died at 92.
Carius died at home in western Germany Jan. 24 after a short illness, according to a statement Friday on the website of the Tiger Pharmacy, which he founded in 1956.

Awards and achievements

• Wound Badge in Black (8 July 1941)
  • Eastern Front Medal (20 August 1941)
  • Iron Cross 2nd Class (15 September 1942)
  • Iron Cross 1st Class (23 November 1943)
  • Wound Badge in Silver (15 December 1943)
  • Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
    • Knight's Cross on 4 May 1944 as Leutnant of the Reserves and platoon leader in the 2./schwere Panzer-Abteilung 502
    • 535th Oak Leaves on 27 July 1944 as Leutnant of the Reserves and leader of the 2./schwere Panzer-Abteilung 502
  • Panzer Badge in Silver
    • 2nd Grade (15 July 1944)
    • 3rd Grade (1 September 1944)
  • Wound Badge in Gold (11 September 1944)
Total victories (kills):

• 150+ tanks, similar number of antitank guns (100–110 tanks following another source,) majority on the Eastern Front.
  • He was the second highest scoring tank ace of the war behind Feldwebel (Sergeant) Kurt Knispel (168)

Seems he died a week before his wife...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...ourney-as-hes-laid-to-rest-with-his-wife.html

New Zealand loses a 'remarkable man' with death of Les Munro; John Key says

RACHEL THOMAS AND LIBBY WILSON
Last updated 17:23, August 4 2015

MIKE SCOTT/Fairfax NZ
Former WWII dam buster pilot Les Munro, who died this week, had offered to auction his medals and pass on the funds for the upkeep of a London memorial that honours his comrades.

Prime Minister John Key says New Zealand has "lost a remarkable man who led a remarkable life" with the passing of Les Munro, the last remaining Dambuster from the RAF 617 Squadron.
Munro died in Tauranga Hospital on Tuesday at 6.15am.
"I was honoured to meet Les Munro in person when I attended the presentation of his medals to Motat just a few months ago," Key said.
1438665784873.jpg

Les Munro leaning out of the cockpit of a Lancaster, which he flew on the Dam Busters raid.

"His contribution to his country and his generosity will not be forgotten," he said.
Munro's son, Graeme, said his father died "peacefully, after a very short illness".
Out of the 19 commanding officers who flew on the raid on the Ruhr Valley in May 1943, Munro was the last remaining. He lived in Tauranga.
1438665784873.jpg

Supplied/Adrian Brooks Les Munro, pictured at the Bomber Command Memorial, London.

In March this year, Munro offered to sell his war medals to help fund the upkeep of a London memorial that honours his comrades.
However, British businessman Lord Ashcroft made a donation to the RAF Benevolent Fund; in return, Munro withdrew his medals from auction and gave them to the Museum of Transport and Technology (Motat) in Auckland.
Peter Wheeler, chief executive of the New Zealand Bomber Command Association, said he'd had dinner with Munro about a month ago and he seemed fine.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/708...ble-man-with-death-of-les-munro-john-key-says

Birth name: John Leslie Munro
Born 5 April 1919 Gisborne, New Zealand
Died 4 August 2015 (aged 96) Tauranga, New Zealand

Allegiance
23px-Flag_of_New_Zealand.svg.png
New Zealand
Service/branch Royal New Zealand Air Force Rank Squadron Leader

Battles/wars World War II

Awards:
Companion of the New Zealand Order of Merit
Distinguished Service Order
Companion of The Queen's Service Order