Quotes: Who said it and where?

Duty Honor Country

Here is the deal. I will name a quote and you'll tell me who said it and where. Each quote will have a different value depending on how hard I think it is to find it. I will give hints if no one can find it.

"The General says this hill must be taken at all costs - the Gordon Highlanders will take it...Officers and pipers to the fore."

300 mil bucks

I do believe it was the Battalion officer of the 1st Btn Lt-Col Mathias who went and said it. In 1897 during the Chitral expedition in the Northwest Territory of India. Or am I being to vag again?

not correct, what hill was he talking about....jk

"If you choose to tax us, give us members in your legislature, and let us be one people."

You only need the person for this one and you will get 100 mil bucks.

"If you choose to tax us, give us members in your legislature, and let us be one people."

any takers??? Get it right and you'll get 200 mil bucks

Correct for 200 mil bucks. nulli secundus, do you have some inside information on my quotes. I might have to challenge you a bit harder..

For 200 mil bucks, what battle is this quote from?

"Always our infantry advanced, drawing near and closing up on the village till at last they formed under the mangrove trees at the foot of the hill on which the stone fort stood. With a rush they swept up the slope and the stone fort was ours. From the blockhouses and trenches from which the Spaniards could not safely retreat, flags of truce were waved. Guns and side arms were being taken away from such Spaniards as had outlived the pitiless fire, and their dead were being dumped into the trenches without ceremony into the trenches after Spanish fashion."

I'll give it to you. The quote was from an eye witness account of the Rough Rider's charge at San Juan Ridge.

"The enemy's design was clearly to cut us off from our supporting tanks and then catch us enfilade in belts of crossfire from his Spandaus. NO quarter was asked or given; no inert body could be assumed to be dead unless it bore the most easily visible wounds. Wounded SS men would throw grenades at stretcher-bearers coming up to attend to them. Soon the battalion was committed to in-fighting throughout its depth. As the forward companies were clearing their final objectives, the reserve companies were fighting section and individual battles in the corn; flushing dugouts, verifying the deadness of corpses, and watching for the hidden sniper or by-passed Spandau teams.

200 for the location of battle. This quote comes from a distinct landmark.
600 for the Brigade involved.

You may ask questions in the form of yes or no answers.

doomshot wins 600. The quote was about the 4th Brigade "Wiltshires"
nulli secundus wins 200. The battle was on Hill 112 JUN-JUL 1944

"The superiority of our troops, the promptitude with which we can set them in motion, in a word, the clear advantage we have over our neighbors, gives us in this unexpected emergency an infinite superiority over all other powers of Europe. England and France are foes. If France should meddle in the affairs of the empire, England could not allow it, so I can always make a good alliance with one or the other. England could not be jealous of my getting..."

200 for who said it
300 for what that quote is in reference to

Major-General Isreal Putnam wouldn't have said it would he? (shot in the dark) I do believe it was about the French and Indian War.

My guess is Gustavus Adolphus and it's in reference to the War of Spanish Succession aka the "thirty years war".

Doody said:
hint - dig deeper into history my freind

actually I was wrong on my hint. The 1700's is where you will find the person who said that quote.

Charge 7, that is also a well educated guess. You are getting closer

Back