Quote by Lewis B. Puller, LGen, USMC

HA6

The road to hell is paved with the bleached bones of Marine Second Lieutenants who fail to put out their local security.

DAVID C said:
yes that is true but i think he was a little out of his mind

Are not all Marines a little "Off"?

Another Chesty Quote:

"When the new recruit is standing in front of his D.I., he knows what he had to do, what his D.I. wants him to do, his Mama, his Daddy, his leader says to do. But what our whole recruit training program is heading towards is that Marine doing what he has been trained for when his leader, or any other "senior" is not there looking over him. Those moments when he is alone in combat, and he has to rely on one person, himself!"

Semper Fi...

Chesty Puller

There will never be another Chesty Puller. Men like that do not grow on trees. We can only celebrate his legacy, and thank God Almighty that such a man was loaned to us when we needed him. I've got an ex- Jarhead in my immediate family, and he, bad-boy-biker that he is, will stand at attention and salute when Chesty is mentioned. Well, so do I. Chesty Puller was a man's man, and anyone who thinks otherwise needs a history lesson or an a**-whipping.

Conquistadore.

He was amazing... took such a dire situation(I believe his Company was surrounded by 50+ enemy companies and they somehow made it out) and turned it into an amazing feat. I'll always be thankful for such a man.

"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of
us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time"

Gotta love ole Chesty!

I believe that I had heard Gen. Puller say "Retreat hell, were just fighting in the other direction". Is this accurate?

I prefer Major Everett Pope's (Medal of Honor, Commanding Officer Charlie Company, 1st Marines at Peleliu) assessment of Col. Puller's leadership of the 1st Marines at Peleliu in a 2005 interview:

"The adulation paid to him these days sickens me." and that Puller was:

"The greatest platoon leader in the history of the Marine Corps"

Lt.Col Ray Davis' 1st Battalion, 1st Marines suffered 71% casualties getting chewed up in the Umurbrogol Mountain defensive positions of the Japanese.

General Geiger had to order General Rupertus to withdraw the 1st Marines from the line on September 22nd and evacuate them to Pavuvu, and replace them with--HORRORS--Army troops of the 321st Infantry, 81st Division.

Back