Quotable women

AmericanSweetheart

Ok guys there have to be some women who said some good things and I think that its time we have a few on here. Whether its someting a woman said about war or men of war or just about life in general post it. I'll start it off with a quote about military men.

"A ship in port is safe, but that's not what ships are built for."-Rear Admiral Grace Hopper

That should be Rear Admiral Grace Hopper (phd). One of the first computer scientists. She coined the term "bug" for the moths that got into one of the first computers (UNIVAC).

Perhaps her best-known contribution to computing was the invention of the compiler, the intermediate program that translates English language instructions into the language of the target computer. She did this, she said, because she was lazy and hoped that "the programmer may return to being a mathematician." Her work embodied or foreshadowed enormous numbers of developments that are now the bones of digital computing: subroutines, formula translation, relative addressing, the linking loader, code optimization, and even symbolic manipulation of the kind embodied in Mathematica and Maple.

And another good one:

Please let me do your cooking , washing and ironing. My Mother, a great woman.

going in another direction:
" dont call me a :cen: , call me easy, it sounds better" (a girl from my work)

"computer bugs" removed, please start a new thread about that in the computers forum instead...

Now let's continue on topic here from now on.. :)

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't."
- Margareth Thatcher
http://www.military-quotes.com/database/t.htm

Thanks! RedLeg

"Cautious, careful people always casting about to preserve their reputation or social standards never can bring about reform. Those who are really in earnest are willing to be anything or nothing in the world's estimation, and publicly and privately, in season and out, avow their sympathies with despised ideas and their advocates, and bear the consequences."
—Susan B. Anthony

Humor distorts nothing, and only false gods are laughed off their pedestals.-Agnes Repplier

There's a hell of a distance between wisecracking and wit. Wit has truth in it; wisecracking is simply calisthenics with words.-Dorothy Parker

Here's another one from Dorothy Parker (and a personal favorite :p )

"Brevity is the soul of lengerie"

The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!
Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945

OO-RAH! to that one, Eleanor Roosevelt is so right with that one, it's one of my favorite quotes about the military, from a woman.

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
Helen Keller

Courage is the price that life exacts for granting peace.
Amelia Earhart

I cannot do all the good that the world needs, but the world needs all the good I can do.
Jana Stanfield

We must have perseverance and above all confidence in ourselves. We must believe that we are gifted for something and that this thing must be attained.
Marie Curie

How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment to improve the world.
Anne Frank

Rather than fearing death, we're embracing life-life is now seen as more precious, more meaningful than it seemed before that tragic fall day.
Laura Bush, First Lady on 9/11/01

The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!
Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945

That is a great quote!

"Out in the field you were all in the same predicament, with nothing between you and the piece of metal with your name on it except the whim of God." - Kate Webb

"I was struck that war, for all its brutality and horror, nevertheless offered men an opportunity like no other to be fearless and brave, to be selfless, to be a hero." - Jurate Kazickas

"In my youth I thought I was invincible, that if I didn't get shot or visibly maimed, I'd get a way clean. But surviving a war doesn't mean you escape being its victim." - Tad Bartimus

"War's eternal mystery is that some humans die and some don't, and nobody gets to choose." - Tad Bartimus

All of these are quotes from women who went to Vietnam as reporters.

"is it tuna or chicken, i know it says chicken of the sea but i just dont understand it" -jessica simpson. sorry i had to :)

MilidarUSMC said:
"is it tuna or chicken, i know it says chicken of the sea but i just dont understand it" -jessica simpson. sorry i had to :)
lol
you heard she filed for divorce, that means shes up for grabs LOL

From the mouth of Paris Hilton:

Wal-mart... do they like make walls there?

"If i don't stand up and fight for my country, than I fight for nothing, cause my country makes me who I am" ~my best friend who is a LCPL in the Marine Corps.

Back