A Quiz for American Citizens.

Yossarian

Forum Resistance Leader
So anyway, here is the question.

Who was the first President of the United States?

Last edited:
If i was an american i would find this very offensive,i never been to america but i'm sure not everyone there are like the sterotype,

and you know they can just google it right?lol.

If i was an american i would find this very offensive,i never been to america but i'm sure not everyone there are like the sterotype,

That's why I wanted to meet the ones to prove me wrong.

To give hope on against this tide.

Also , once upon a time, before this era, there was a archaic period before google.

George Washington... Are you insulting my intelligence or is this one of those trivia trick questions? :sarc:

I knew it was one of those trick questions! But then again, George Washington is the first president of the United States after the ratification of the Constitution.
Were you referring to the first person to reside over the Continental Congress?

No actually, and I don't know what kind of trick question this is.

But the reason I was fooled was by someone I work with who just had to take their American Entry test not to long ago.

I went by the libaray and jumped straight into world book but to no avail I finally found a title called "Forgotten Presidents". Which led me to mailing a letter to a publishing company in Naperville IL who runs a website as well on the topic of the U.S. Constitution.

Of which was a excerpt from the then famous Maryland Gazette. From 1783.

So think back to the Articles of Confederation. It was before the Union, but however at the time we were a loose Federation., and yes Washington knew him, if fact admired his statesmen ship to the point of not running against him.

It was not until the position was Federalized by the then new Constitution that we know today. But from the approval of the articles until then we were a country, and a country needed a President.

Also another fun notion was that Washington was a delegate member of Congress during one of his terms.

It's easy to pick apart now but at the time none of this had really been tried before, much was very well laid out and crafted but many of our first leaders had to leave much to guess work, including what the Presidency would be.

The first president of the First Continental Congress, or of "the United States in Congress Assembled", was Peyton Randolph, who was elected on September 5, 1774.

then again it might be John Hanson in 1781!

The new country was actually formed on March 1, 1781 with the adoption of The Articles of Confederation. This document was actually proposed on June 11, 1776, but not agreed upon by Congress until November 15, 1777. Maryland refused to sign this document until Virginia and New York ceded their western lands (Maryland was afraid that these states would gain too much power in the new government from such large amounts of land). Once the signing took place in 1781, a President was needed to run the country. John Hanson was chosen unanimously by Congress (which included George Washington). In fact, all the other potential candidates refused to run against him, as he was a major player in the Revolution and an extremely influential member of Congress.

That confuses matters, doesn't it! ;-)

Last edited:
The first president of the First Continental Congress, or of "the United States in Congress Assembled", was Peyton Randolph, who was elected on September 5, 1774.

then again it might be John Hanson in 1781!

The new country was actually formed on March 1, 1781 with the adoption of The Articles of Confederation. This document was actually proposed on June 11, 1776, but not agreed upon by Congress until November 15, 1777. Maryland refused to sign this document until Virginia and New York ceded their western lands (Maryland was afraid that these states would gain too much power in the new government from such large amounts of land). Once the signing took place in 1781, a President was needed to run the country. John Hanson was chosen unanimously by Congress (which included George Washington). In fact, all the other potential candidates refused to run against him, as he was a major player in the Revolution and an extremely influential member of Congress.

That confuses matters, doesn't it! ;-)

I trust no copy and pasting! Now shush before you allow others to cheat off of you!

But yes, you should have seen the ass of myself I made when arguing in front of our new HR who immigrated from Thailand only to do the homework and see what I have done....:shock:

But found out some interesting facts of this country's infancy.

Guilty.. but the first part is not copy/paste. I'm forgiven tho' I think because I'm not an American but I teach American history. ;-). If you had to be a "citizen" to be eligible for the quiz, I don't qualify but I still beat most of the citizens! ;-)

It's THIS BLOKE: "The first president of the First Continental Congress, or of "the United States in Congress Assembled", was Peyton Randolph, who was elected on September 5, 1774"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peyton_Randolph

I WIN!! (tho' I could be wrong.. it happened once before, back in the 1980s) ;-)

Last edited:
Back