Quick question for those that know!!

dlmagoo

It's been forever since I have gone through the recruitment process and I was Navy so I really have no idea what Army and NG do that might be different, so I have a question. Two of my students (I teach in an adult hs/ged program) are 17 & 18. The 17 yo has a 9th grade level (with a felony conviction) and the 18 yo.. I'm not really sure, but neither have finished high school. They went and spoke to rectuiters yesterday for the National Guard and were told that the NG would pay for them to attend school to get their diploma or ged (provided they have at least a 9th grade level). After they obtain that certificate then they would enlist, go to basic, and most likely deploy.

This sounded fishy to me, especially since I know for sure that no organization is going to fork out cash when they don't have you on some form of committment (Unless they get you in a DEP program)...right??

Are there any recruiters onboard that can explain this to me so that I can make sure these boys aren't being taken for a ride?? Or.. if it's legit then I want to make sure they can take advantage of it, if they find out all the information and truly want to do so.

Thanks
Dee :angel:

Really it's going to depend on the State your in. I'm in the ARNG and we will accept persons studying for their GED depending on other criteria. Felony convictions are not all expelling depending on the length of time since conviction and the type of offense and the age when the offense was commited with appropriate waivers.

The ARNG when not federalized operates under the AG of your particular State and Army guidelines. The AG can authorize in state programs by virtue of the Governer of the State who acts as the CINC of the Guard when the Guard is not federalized. So it's not out of the ballpark that they would pay for the GED classes thru your states Dept. of Education or some Gov sponsered literacy program. Especially if the recruitment numbers are down.

Best bet would be that you call the main ARNG recruiting office in your State's Cap and ask them.

It's been forever since I have gone through the recruitment process and I was Navy so I really have no idea what Army and NG do that might be different, so I have a question. Two of my students (I teach in an adult hs/ged program) are 17 & 18. The 17 yo has a 9th grade level (with a felony conviction) and the 18 yo.. I'm not really sure, but neither have finished high school. They went and spoke to rectuiters yesterday for the National Guard and were told that the NG would pay for them to attend school to get their diploma or ged (provided they have at least a 9th grade level). After they obtain that certificate then they would enlist, go to basic, and most likely deploy.

This sounded fishy to me, especially since I know for sure that no organization is going to fork out cash when they don't have you on some form of committment (Unless they get you in a DEP program)...right??

Are there any recruiters onboard that can explain this to me so that I can make sure these boys aren't being taken for a ride?? Or.. if it's legit then I want to make sure they can take advantage of it, if they find out all the information and truly want to do so.

Thanks
Dee :angel:

Hi Dee,
The Army National Guard will help them get a GED. We have several programs for kids that need a GED. However,they have to pass the ASVAB test.

SPC.VEGA
NJARNG
Recruiting & Retention NCO

Back