Quick Question

Lamm

I know that if I enlist in the active Marine Corps, I can only get 03 guaranteed. And, I have heard they stick the small guys with the heavy stuff, the machine guns. I want 0311 though, but if I do get 0331 (machine gunner), does a machine gunner still get promoted like an 0311 would? Could there be a Squad Leader who's an 0331?
Silly question, I was just curious though.
Thanks,
Lamm

PFC and Lcpl are time in grade/service promotions and as long as you keep your nose clean are pretty much gimmies.

Cpl and Sgt. Are based on a cutting score for that particular field based on Your Pro and Con Marks, PFT, Weapons Quals, TIG ,TIS and other factors. When the Corps has billets open in those ranks the cutting scores can be low, but when when the billets are short the cutting scores can be pretty high. You can also be promoted meritourisly.

Yes a 0331 can have a squad. It depends on whether your in a weapons company or a line company as to what kind of squad.

It depends. If your assigned to Weapons Company with Heavy Guns your not gonna have a Rifle squad.

There is nothin wrong with bein a 31. Yes you can be a squad leader. A 31 squad leader has same responsiblilities as a 11 would. Bein a 31 you have all the same trainin as an 11 and then you are trained with heavy guns.

But, can I lead the same kind of squad as a 11 would lead? I really want 0311, but ofcourse I can only get 03 guaranteed when I enlist, unless I go into the USMCR. But, whatever job the Corps gives me, I'll do my best at it.
Lamm

The Marine Corps Infantry is broken down by Rifle, Weapon and H&S Companies. As Sooner said yes you can have a squad. And there is nothing wrong with being a 31. You have all the same training as a 0311 except that 11's don't have training with the Heavy Guns.

As a an 0331 assigned to a Rifle Company you can have a Rifle Squad. As an 0331 assigned to a Weapons Company you will have a Squad in Heavy Guns. It depends on your billet not your MOS.

But first you need to worry about Boot, SOI, learning your MOS whatever that may be cause 0311 and 0331 ain't the only 03 field MOS's 0341 Mortarman. 0351 Antitank, 0313 LAV Crew could all pop up based on the needs of the Corps.

When you learn your MOS then worry about becoming an assistant Fire Team Leader, then Fire team leader then maybe you can get a spot in Combat Squad leaders Course, then maybe you can get a squad.

Your way spun up Lamm. Relax high speed yer head might splode.

Sooner Brother you know all us fugly 0311's love you Pig Packers :lol:

Well said, well said...lol. I'm not worrying at all, just gettin' some little questions out of my head. But, I really do want 0311. But like I said earlier, I'll do what ever the Corps tells me to do. But give the chance that I might not get 0311 if I just enlist the active USMC, I might want to enlist in the USMCR, so that I can get my exact MOS I want, 0311, so long as the unit I'm going to has a slot open for that MOS.
One more thing, what's a billet? That's sort of like a slot, right?
Thanks,
Lamm

So when you said "it depends on your billet", you're saying it depends on the position you're filling....I don't get it..duh..can you explain that a little.
Thanks,
Lamm

If you are Assigned to Weapons Co. with a Heavy Gun Section you are an 0331 filling a billet in Wpn's Co.

If you are assigned to say B 3/7 you are filling a billet as a 31 assigned to Bravo Co.

Back