Quick question on flashbangs

deerslayer

Milforum Swamp Dweller
I know that back in the days of the Branch Davidian massacre, the FBI refused to send in their men because they were worried the intense heat from the fires would cook off their flashbangs. What kind of damage would a flashbang do on a human body? I know it would probably cauterize the wound it created, but what kind of penetration are we talking here?

The Flashbang is designed to let the blast and light out of the container and not to generate any shrapnels.

The grenade produce a 1 million candela light flash and a blast of 170 to 180 decibels. They affect your body suddenly, but do not leave any damages of lasting character. The flash light makes the eye to loose forcus for about 5 to 10 seconds and the blast affects the semicircular canals of the ear, making it hard to maintain balance.

The Flashbang we used contained ammonium (perchlorate(?)) and magnesium which can cause burns to exposed surfaces of the skin (in some cases).

I cannot think of any penetration damages by the Flashbang, though it might be possible in case of manufacturing failure.

Last edited:
major liability said:
Yes, that's good, but what would happen if a flashbang went off while it was right on you.
The flashbangs I used had a small hole in the base of the grenade to act as a pressure release point. I would expect some major burns IF the pressure release hole was aimed in the right direction ... any charge that puts out the noise and light flash, burn quite hotly and could do serious burn damage.

technical thing for something I was writing. I was wondering if we had ironed that caveat out of the various designs since 1980.

deerslayer said:
technical thing for something I was writing. I was wondering if we had ironed that caveat out of the various designs since 1980.
Caveat????? What do you expect?????

Anything which goes bang with a loud noise and with a bright flash of white light isn't a toy ... it's ordnance and ordnance can do harm.........

I was just curious about the capacity for burning human flesh is all. I had to make sure that what I've written is technically correct. Of course, the wounds would probably cauterize extremely quickly.

An explosion results in the production of hot gas. Hot gas must be vented from the object otherwise it will explode. The primary words here are "hot" and "gas". They burn people.

While I doubt it would cause any lasting disability, I wouldn't hold one in my hand when it popped. Sounded like a reasonable question to me.

Besides, we know the FBI excuse was just that, an excuse. If you're going to burn the place and its inhabitants to the ground, why bother going in?

moving0target said:
While I doubt it would cause any lasting disability, I wouldn't hold one in my hand when it popped. Sounded like a reasonable question to me.

Besides, we know the FBI excuse was just that, an excuse. If you're going to burn the place and its inhabitants to the ground, why bother going in?
Stay on topic. You can start another thread about paranoid anti-government conspiracy theories or whatever if you like but this one's about f/b grenades only. Thanks.

major liability said:
Yes, that's good, but what would happen if a flashbang went off while it was right on you.

Severe trauma to ones hearing and eyes, potential heart attack if the condition is set, possible loss of limbs by the blast (fingers, hands, toes), bleedings and burns.

that answers my question. Thanks a lot. Oh, and by the way, according to the video surveillance of Waco... the Branch Davidians lit the fires themselves.

I have another question about flashbangs;

If you threw one into a carpeted room or a room with other common flammable objects, would it burn the house down?

major liability said:
I have another question about flashbangs;

If you threw one into a carpeted room or a room with other common flammable objects, would it burn the house down?
It could ... there have been instances where a fire was started by the flash-bang.

The XM84 Stun Grenade is a non-fragmentation, non-lethal "Flash And Bang" stun grenade that is intended to provide a reliable, effective non-lethal means of neutralizing & disorienting enemy personnel.

The M84 non-lethal stun grenade is a non-lethal, low hazard, non-shrapnel producing explosive device intended to confuse, disorient or momentarily distract potential threat personnel. The device produces a temporary incapacitation to threat personnel or innocent by standers. This device will be used by military personnel in hostage rescue situations and in the capture of criminals, terrorists or other adversaries. It provides commanders a non-lethal capability to increase the flexibility in the application of force during military operations.

Detonating the M84 Stun Grenade in the presence of natural gas, gasoline, or other highly flammable fumes or materials may cause a serious secondary explosion or fire, resulting in death, or severe injury to friendly forces or unintended victims, as well as serious property damage. The operator must wear proper hearing protection when employing the M84. Injury to personnel could result if the grenade functions prior to being deployed.

The M84 contains a minimal amount of explosives and, when initiated, produces illumination through oxidation (burning) of the components of the charge. Some non-toxic smoke is produced in minimal amounts. In the event the grenade functions prematurely or bounces back when tossed, the user could feel the effects of the grenade. Approved eye protection should be worn when employing the M84 to preclude possible damage to the eyes. The grenade when initiated produces an intense ?bang?. The noise levels will be above 170 decibels within 5 feet of initiation. The user must wear approved single hearing protection when employing the grenade in the event of a premature functioning or bounce back when tossed. Activation of the M84 should not ignite paper or cloth. However, other hazards such as volatile fumes in the space where the grenade will detonate should be considered prior to tossing it into a closed structure.

The US Army Military Police Corps is involved in missions that require the use of a stun hand grenade (diversionary device) to confuse, disorient, or momentarily distract a potential threat. The device will be used to apply the minimum force necessary by tactical and non-tactical forces while performing missions of hostage rescue and capture of criminals, terrorists and other adversaries. The congressionally mandated Soldier Enhancement Program (SEP), of which one purpose is to enhance the survivability items used by the US Army soldier, is the initiative to provide this increased level of protection.
Source:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/xm84.htm

Back