Questions for U.S. personnel who were/are stationed abroad.

I hope there is enuff of you lot on this message board.

I know that stores, sports facilites and all that stuff exist on U.S. military bases, so there is no real need for American military personnel to leave the base and interact with the local population much. But I'm assuming that most of you have left the base on occasions other than field exercises and transit to another U.S. base.

My questions are: First of all, which country/countries were you stationed in? How much do you leave the base to visit places in your host country and interact with locals? What is your impression of the region of the host country you're in? How do you like the populace? Do you have friends or partners among them? Are there some aspects of life in that country that are better/worse than life in the U.S?

I'm really interested in your views on this one.

I cannot help you on this issue. The only time I have been overseas was for Kosovo in 2000 and Iraq 2002-2003. Those places are not like Germany, Italy or Korea. I do here there is plenty of drinking for soldiers to do. :cheers:

Doody said:
I cannot help you on this issue. The only time I have been overseas was for Kosovo in 2000 and Iraq 2002-2003. Those places are not like Germany, Italy or Korea. I do here there is plenty of drinking for soldiers to do. :cheers:

Sweet 8)

Yeah, I mainly meant stationed somewhere that doesn't involve any combat or peace-keeping duty.

Re: Questions for U.S. personnel who were/are stationed abro

Mohmar 'Deathstrike' said:
I hope there is enuff of you lot on this message board.
My questions are: First of all, which country/countries were you stationed in? How much do you leave the base to visit places in your host country and interact with locals? What is your impression of the region of the host country you're in? How do you like the populace? Do you have friends or partners among them? Are there some aspects of life in that country that are better/worse than life in the U.S?

I'm really interested in your views on this one.

Gemany.
A lot.
Good.
They were pretty swell.
Yes.
Yes/Yes.

gladius said:
Gemany.
A lot.
Good.
They were pretty swell.
Yes.
Yes/Yes.

Haha. I was hoping for a mini-essay-like answer, but this is pretty straight forward too :D. Thank you.

Can u elaborate on which aspects were worse and wich were better?

Mohmar 'Deathstrike' said:
Haha. I was hoping for a mini-essay-like answer, but this is pretty straight forward too :D. Thank you.

Can u elaborate on which aspects were worse and wich were better?

That is actually kinda hard most Western countries are pretty much equal. Its more like comparing apples and oranges than saying whats better or worse. I guess its more what you prefer, rather than better or worse.

Having said that I can elaborate a little. I think Germany has a better public transpotation system (but agains its alot smaller than the US) and also it relatively "safer" over there, I enjoyed going out there and seing the stuff and interacting with the people, I was somewhat easier to do over there (due to public transport), I though it was great and fun.

As the US goes as far as whats better (its one of those thing thats hard to put your finger on) its that feeling that everything is so much more grand, there so much more to explore, people in general are willing to cut loose more (for the most part), its hard to describe though. But as far as something concrete we probably have better large gathering/entertainment/lesuire malls over here. I prefer to live over here becausethere probably more opportunities, ect. Having said that I would love to go back to Germany to visit again. There is stuff you can experience over there that you can't over here, and vice-versa, but again its not better or worse its more unique to the place.

Back