Questions

Lamm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a few questions I would like to ask, so if you have any input, please help me out. Thanks.

1. If one were to apply and get accepted for an NROTC four-year scholarship with the plan to switch to Marine Option, when would be the soonest time one could switch to Marine Option and is it guaranteed that one could switch?

2. If one were to join the Marines and put 20 consecutive active duty years in service then join the Reserves after the 20-year marker would/could that person collect his/her retirement while being in the Reserves? It sounds like a stupid question and I think the answer is no, but its never hurts to be sure. And if someone did do that, had 20 years active duty then went into the Reserves for lets say 10 years, when the person finally retired could he/her collect retirement right away or does he/her have to wait until he/her is 65? Also, how would that work anyhow? Would it be a combination of your 20 years active duty and 10 reserves?

3. If one were to be in the Reserves for 20 years, he/her get his/her pension at the age of 65, correct? Is it based on how many drills you put in? Or, say if you retired as a Staff Sergeant, would you get as much as a staff sergeant who served 20 years active would get?

4. In Recon and Force Recon, do 2nd and 1st LTs. lead platoons, Capts.-companies just like Lts. and Capts. would in the regular FMF?

5. Intel Officers-they lead Recon and Force Recon platoons, correct. I also heard that as an Intel Officer you spend half the time leading a Recon/Force Recon platoon and the other half doing something else, not including your B MOS. What is that other job? If there is such a thing.

6. B MOS's- do all enlisted personnel have a B MOS? If so, from which rank would a Marine be required to do his job for his B MOS. And does a Marine get assigned to a B MOS, then go to training for such a job, or does the Marine get to pick, or have any say in it?

Some of these questions are out of curiousity, but all interest me. Thanks for any and all help.
Lamm

Lamm said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a few questions I would like to ask, so if you have any input, please help me out. Thanks.

1. If one were to apply and get accepted for an NROTC four-year scholarship with the plan to switch to Marine Option, when would be the soonest time one could switch to Marine Option and is it guaranteed that one could switch?

2. If one were to join the Marines and put 20 consecutive active duty years in service then join the Reserves after the 20-year marker would/could that person collect his/her retirement while being in the Reserves? It sounds like a stupid question and I think the answer is no, but its never hurts to be sure. And if someone did do that, had 20 years active duty then went into the Reserves for lets say 10 years, when the person finally retired could he/her collect retirement right away or does he/her have to wait until he/her is 65? Also, how would that work anyhow? Would it be a combination of your 20 years active duty and 10 reserves?

3. If one were to be in the Reserves for 20 years, he/her get his/her pension at the age of 65, correct? Is it based on how many drills you put in? Or, say if you retired as a Staff Sergeant, would you get as much as a staff sergeant who served 20 years active would get?

4. In Recon and Force Recon, do 2nd and 1st LTs. lead platoons, Capts.-companies just like Lts. and Capts. would in the regular FMF?

5. Intel Officers-they lead Recon and Force Recon platoons, correct. I also heard that as an Intel Officer you spend half the time leading a Recon/Force Recon platoon and the other half doing something else, not including your B MOS. What is that other job? If there is such a thing.

6. B MOS's- do all enlisted personnel have a B MOS? If so, from which rank would a Marine be required to do his job for his B MOS. And does a Marine get assigned to a B MOS, then go to training for such a job, or does the Marine get to pick, or have any say in it?

Some of these questions are out of curiousity, but all interest me. Thanks for any and all help.
Lamm

1. Talk to an OSO or NROTC Det Cmdr.

2-3 That will require some looking into policy

4. Majors generally have command of FR Companies.

5. Are you talking about an 0202 Intelligence Officer? Generally when not in Command of a Platoon or Company, Bn etc. Officers serve in Command Staff Billets S-1,S-2, S-3 etc.
6. No not all enlisted have B-MOS', B-MOS's are assigned after completion of the required courses.

5. 0203. Would the Command Staff Billets go for all Officer MOS's?
This what I came up with by looking around online.

"Initially, the ground intelligence officer will serve as a scout sniper platoon commander in the infantry battalion. In this respect, this MOS is much like the infantry for the first 12 to 18 months. Upon successful completion of this first billet, you will probably serve as an intelligence officer on a battalion, regiment or division staff. If you particularly enjoyed commanding a scout sniper platoon, you may volunteer to command a reconnaissance platoon. If selected, following a rigorous screening process, you will command a reconnaissance platoon for approximately 24 months. You must be eligible for top secret clearance with access to special compartmentalized information (TS/SCI) based on a Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI). "
The way I understand it, 0203's can command recon platoons as well, if selected. Correct? But they are usually not in the field with their platoon, they are directing them from a command post. Please correct me if I am wrong.

https://www.tbs.usmc.mil

https://www.tbs.usmc.mil/Pages/MyMOS/All_MOS_FAQ_Detail.asp?MOSid=0203#What is this MOS?

6. I know when you're an enlisted man, you go to training for your B MOS's, but at which rank are you required to have a B MOS? If so, when this happens do you have any say in the B MOS you are assigned?

Thanks for the help.
Lamm

===============================================
To be more specific for number five. What does an Intel Officer do when he's an Intel Officer on a battalion, regiment, or division staff? Y'all probably say, duh, gather intel. But, could can someone explain more? Is that pretty much it?
I want to be an 0302, but am keeping my options open ofcourse. I know 0203's can lead scout/sniper and recon platoons. And, if they do, are those Officers in the field with their Marines when their Marines are fighting? Sniper, probably not as much, but what about Recon?
Thanks.
Lamm

===============================================

Also, when one, either an enlisted Marine or Officer of Marines, both Infantry, finishes his training, do you get a wish list as to where you want to be stationed? I'll be graduating Boot Camp at MCRD SD, will I just be sent to Camp Lejeune for SOI, then to Pendleton foy my next duty station? Or am I way off here?
The reason I'm asking is because I figure I'll be young and seeing the rest of the world wouldn't be a bad idea, so being stationed overseas wouldn't be either.
Thanks for any and all help.
Lamm

Back