Questions, Questions, Questions!

DadsAVet

Hello! I am trying to find any information I can on my Dad's military history in the U.S. Army. He was drafted on Dec 15, 1959 and completed 8 weeks of basic training and "Field Communications Crewman" at Fort Carson, Colorado. He was then transferred to Fort Ord, California where he was stationed until honorably discharged on Mar 9, 1962. He was in the Reserves until Dec 14, 1965. Dad was the "company carpenter" and also the driver for the Sargeant. He did not serve in any wars.

I have looked everywhere I can think of, trying to find anyone who can tell me what the abbreviations are for. Thank you in advance, and for the taking the time to read this post.

On his DD214, Line 12 "Last Duty Assignment and Major Command":
ConCo ConGp (with "Ump" typed above ConGp) USACDEC, Ft Ord, California

I know that is his company information, but what is the company? I've tried google, the US Army, posted questions on multiple Military forums and facebook pages, but no one can tell me what it means. I'm pretty sure ConGp means Control Group---I just want to make sure.

Also curious if anyone knows where my best bet would be for finding a military yearbook with his platoon or company's group photo at graduation? I've been to The Military Yearbook Project but he isn't in any of the books or photos uploaded to that site. THANKS SO MUCH!!!:type:

Hello! I am trying to find any information I can on my Dad's military history in the U.S. Army. He was drafted on Dec 15, 1959 and completed 8 weeks of basic training and "Field Communications Crewman" at Fort Carson, Colorado. He was then transferred to Fort Ord, California where he was stationed until honorably discharged on Mar 9, 1962. He was in the Reserves until Dec 14, 1965. Dad was the "company carpenter" and also the driver for the Sargeant. He did not serve in any wars.

I have looked everywhere I can think of, trying to find anyone who can tell me what the abbreviations are for. Thank you in advance, and for the taking the time to read this post.

On his DD214, Line 12 "Last Duty Assignment and Major Command":
ConCo ConGp (with "Ump" typed above ConGp) USACDEC, Ft Ord, California

I know that is his company information, but what is the company? I've tried google, the US Army, posted questions on multiple Military forums and facebook pages, but no one can tell me what it means. I'm pretty sure ConGp means Control Group---I just want to make sure.

Also curious if anyone knows where my best bet would be for finding a military yearbook with his platoon or company's group photo at graduation? I've been to The Military Yearbook Project but he isn't in any of the books or photos uploaded to that site. THANKS SO MUCH!!!:type:

Hi,

Have you tried with the national archives?

http://www.archives.gov/

I have his DD214 and was told that it holds all the information there is. Do you know of other forms I need to request? I have a request in for replacements of his medals. Thanks for the suggestion!

I just went ahead and requested his complete Military record.

Any idea what those abbreviations mean?

Contact brinktk and crazytanker.
Two nice gentlemen we have here on the forum. I am sure they will be happy to help you

I have his DD214 and was told that it holds all the information there is. Do you know of other forms I need to request? I have a request in for replacements of his medals. Thanks for the suggestion!

The DD214 is the main form used for veterans. It should have much of the basic info concerning your dad. You can try contacting the "Department of Veterans Affairs" for more data, however they can be tough to get though to. I don't have their phone number presently but you can write them at:

Department of Veterans Affairs
810 Vermont Avenue
Washington, DC 20420

or

http://www.va.gov/

Last edited:
Sorry JOC!
Should also have mentioned you, also a distinguished gentleman. :p

I3BrigPvSk may also be designated as a gentleman.
(but because he is Swedish - I will never admit it in public ;-))

Last edited:
Sorry JOC!

I3BrigPvSk may also be designated as gentleman.
(but because he is Swedish -will I never admit it in public ;-))

I think I'm over rated, thanks Kesse.
You are cracking me up about 13.

Don't know about year books in my 6 years we never had one , to the best of my knowledge your Dad is entitled to the NDSM national defense service medal and perhaps a good conduct medal , those were the only medals around at that time .

Thanks for the info Tetvet! His DD214 says: Marksman (Rifle), Expert (Rifle), Meritorious Unit Award, and Good Conduct Medal. Those are the medals I have requested for replacement.

On the yearbooks, I was told he was "definitely" in a yearbook or company photo somewhere, and that I would have to work hard to find it. Ugh, it's so frustrating!

Thanks again!

Sorry JOC!

I3BrigPvSk may also be designated as a gentleman.
(but because he is Swedish - I will never admit it in public ;-))

I'm a gentleman, I never do anything immoral....:angel:

Have you contacted Fort Carson? When your dad did his basic training there, they may have a photo of him and his platoon.

http://www.carson.army.mil/

Last edited:
I can't find any way to contact the Ft. Carson base from their website. I did post a question to their twitter but haven't received any kind of response. Thanks for the tip!

Back