Questions involving New Zealand & British Armies...

ISLANDFOX

Hi, there's a few theoretical situations me and some friends have been thinking about, and we want to get all the facts straight;

First off, if one were to enroll as a basic soldier (Rifleman) in the NZ Army, and served, what is the age where one is forced to retire? Obviously older people are not going to be able to perform in these roles. What happens to support these people? Do you get a desk job for the Army or what? What happens to a retired soldier?

Secondly, international transfers- (please correct me if any of my facts or numbers are wrong), I believe that after 3 years serving in the NZ Army, one can be transferred to the British Army? How exactly does this work, in regard to keeping rank etc. And then, if one were to consider applying for something like, say, the SAS, one has to have served in the British Army for 3 years at least- could the time served in the NZ Army count for this instead? Or would one have to serve 3 years in NZ, and then another 3 in Britain to be able to apply?

The info on this sort of thing is pretty sparce on the New Zealand Army site, as our Army's a stinking hole with less people in it than my suburb. I'd appreciate any informed replies greatly.

Thanks. :)

You should just jump the Tasman and come over here. It's easy for Kiwi's to join the Australian army-- by comparison. You can join as a resident, and it'll get you your citizenship as long as your eligible.

We've got a fair few Kiwi's in the army. If you are looking at the SAS, you could join the Aussie SAS fairly quickly. 2 years in an Infantry battalion then do the testing. So all up if you were to start the steps right now, you could be in the SAS in 3 years.... but if your heart is set on the British army, I can't help you.

you sign a 15 year contract. At the end of that contract depending on your abilities you may be given a contract extentsion that will continue to be extended so long as you remain a contributing member of the service.

As far as being transferred to the British Army, I have NEVER heard of that!!! I would suggest to you that before you imagine applying for special forces, that you at least join the organisation to see if it is what you want to do, or if you are cut out for it.

The questions you are asking are fairly off the wall (with regards transfers), its not suprising that its not on the NZ Army website. I am sure though if you had rung 0800NZArmy your questions could have been answered. Suffice to say though, comments such as.."as our Army's a stinking hole " would indicate that you are probably not putting your best foot forward...I hope this helps

""as our Army's a stinking hole ""

Heh, perhaps a slight exageration, but considering the miniscule amount of people serving in it, and the tiny amounts of and underwhelming equipment and vehicles, you could see how one could reach such a conclusion.

I'm sure I've heard of transfers to the British Army from any Commonwealth country, as well, although I'm not sure of my sources. I'll try and find something on it.

Thanks for the comments, people.

Im fairly sure entry into the Brit army is similar to entry to the NZ army. Which is you must be a citizen or you must have lived there for 5 years or more. It may be a different story when you are already serving in the NZ army though. I thought about going down that track but I just love NZ so much, and a small army is'nt all bad.

I'm telling you.... Australian Army is the go. Especially if you want to serve overseas.

Here's a bit about it from defence recruiting.
Overseas Recruitment

Overseas recruitment is designed to supplement, but not replace, Australian domestic recruiting efforts. Overseas recruitment will permit the Australian Army's sponsorship of ex serving or serving foreign military personnel for service in the Army. Individuals will be recruited on the basis of their experience and/or skills in order to relieve shortfalls in Australian Regular Army personnel capability.

Army will only sponsor the recruitment of ex serving or serving foreign military personnel for service in the Army. Foreign nationals who do not have prior military experience must apply for enlistment in Army through Defence Force Recruiting once they have satisfied normal Australian permanent residency requirements.

Army has nominated a series of appointments and trades as occupations that are considered suitable for sponsorship. Occupations have been broadly grouped into Officer and Non-Commissioned Officer (NCO) categories. The NCO category includes personnel of Warrant Officer rank. Personnel recruited from overseas under the auspices of the Labour Agreement must be recruited to an occupation as defined in the Agreement.

An individual who is of a rank appropriate to the Agreement, but who has not completed the required minimum level of formal study or who is below the rank specified, but has operational experience, skills or formal training sufficient to warrant recruitment, action may be considered under the Employer Nominated Scheme (ENS). The ENS is a separate provision and is not part of the Labour Agreement.

So enlist in the NZ army, then transfer across. We need 1500 new troops ASAP. Get with the winning team.

Jaysus, Army Recruiting should be paying me for this.

If you are wanting to find more about transferring to the British Army from NZ, perhaps the best thing to do would be to talk to someone from the British Army. They have a live online chat where soldiers answer those questions http://www.armyonline.mod.uk/ i think it is available from about 12 pm until early evening UK time (which is 13-14 hours behind NZ). Good luck.

ISLANDFOX said:
Hi, there's a few theoretical situations me and some friends have been thinking about, and we want to get all the facts straight;

First off, if one were to enroll as a basic soldier (Rifleman) in the NZ Army, and served, what is the age where one is forced to retire? Obviously older people are not going to be able to perform in these roles. What happens to support these people? Do you get a desk job for the Army or what? What happens to a retired soldier?

Secondly, international transfers- (please correct me if any of my facts or numbers are wrong), I believe that after 3 years serving in the NZ Army, one can be transferred to the British Army? How exactly does this work, in regard to keeping rank etc. And then, if one were to consider applying for something like, say, the SAS, one has to have served in the British Army for 3 years at least- could the time served in the NZ Army count for this instead? Or would one have to serve 3 years in NZ, and then another 3 in Britain to be able to apply?

The info on this sort of thing is pretty sparce on the New Zealand Army site, as our Army's a stinking hole with less people in it than my suburb. I'd appreciate any informed replies greatly.

Thanks. :)

The standard contract has changed over the years from twenty years to installments of six or so. A rifleman is not 'forced' to retire as such, from the twenty year mark the NZDF may offer you an extension. These are usually offered in three year instalments for anywhere up to fifteen years.
As a Rifleman moves up the ranks he will inevitably design and conduct more training. That will take them away from the 'sharp end' more and more, however the experience they have gained makes them better qualified than any other trade to conduct training. The NZ Army relies on the Rifleman trade to produce its trainers. All the top jobs at The Army Schools in Waiouru are reserved for Riflemen.
Having said that there are plenty of thirty-forty year old Riflemen still in the Battalions who can outpace their much younger comrades.

As for what A Rifleman does when he retires? Pretty much anything he cares to. Although there is a lot of work on the circuit these days.

There is no 'transfer' procedure for foreign armies. You get out of the NZ Army and enlist in theirs. What your conditions of service are depends on what your trade, rank and qualifications were in the army you left, not to mention what if any position the new army has for you.

As for the 'our Army is a stinking hole' crack, you have no right to comment unless you have served. Turn up at the Recruit Depot with that chip on your shoulder and you will find it knocked off very quickly in a most unenjoyable manner.

If you are looking at the SAS, you could join the Aussie SAS fairly quickly. 2 years in an Infantry battalion then do the testing. So all up if you were to start the steps right now, you could be in the SAS in 3 years.... but if your heart is set on the British army, I can't help you.

I was under the impression that our special forces were still running "direct entry" programs to make up numbers. Where you do the testing first, then recruit training, then infantry training, then all the SF training etc... straight off the street. I have a few mates who have transfered to Commandos and they don't have to spend 2 years in a grunt battalion.

Back