Questions about the raptor.

Stealth doesn't mean invisible, and definitely not invincible. Any aircraft of any stealth level can be picked up by radar or thermal imagers or listened to (its radio/radar/microwave emissions) and triangulated/tracked with pinpoint accuracy. There are many factors that determine an aircraft's survivability. However, the fact that stealth planes are much less likely to be engaged by the enemy defenses [in comparison to conventional aircraft] remains valid.

Re: Questions about the raptor

Stealth doesn't mean invisible, and definitely not invincible. Any aircraft of any stealth level can be picked up by radar or thermal imagers or listened to (its radio/radar/microwave emissions) and triangulated/tracked with pinpoint accuracy.
In time when technology of the opponents catches up with the F-22A but, as of now the F-22A is way ahead. The APG-77 does not set off opponents RWRs and, IRSTs such as the Typhoon's PIRATE or the F-14D's TCS / IRST (AN/ASN-130) system do not alert those two fighters of the F-22As presence until the opponent of the F-22 is deep into the AMRAAM's envelope!

That is what makes the double digit SAMs so deadly, they also have LPI radar systems! So, your plane can be detected and tracked and you have no idea that your plane is in danger.

The reason only one F-117A was shot down was because the USAF got arrogant, they flew the F-117 into the same target area three nights in a row! The Serbian AD noticed that targets in this area were being hit precisely at a few minutes after 10PM local time. Studying the the targets in the area and the placement of the radars they noticed there was one area where the gap being two fixed radar sites was greater than in other areas. So on the fourth day, the Serbian AD placed a mobile radar in the gap. A few minutes before 10PM the mobile site turned its radar. A few minutes later the F-117 flew almost directly over head, killing the F-117 was easy after detection.
The USAF saw their mistake and never flew the same routes in and out of target areas again. The F-117 was shot down on day four of a seventy-three day campaign. The fact that F-117's flew continuously during this period of time, shows the killing of the one F-117 was NOT the result of some technical breakthrough in detection of stealth.

That's probably what happened.
Obviously I know it doesn't mean that it's completely invisible to radar, but my point was that it has to be invisible enough. The question is, is the PAK-FA invisible enough? Plus the F-117 was the first generation of stealth aircraft.

'Zastava-Arms', thank you for the four photos of the F-117 wreckage. I have seen many other photos of the F-117's wreckage but these four are new to me. Again thanx. -Adrian

As far as im aware of, they were taken by Serbians [Kinda obvious].

Obviously I know it doesn't mean that it's completely invisible to radar, but my point was that it has to be invisible enough. The question is, is the PAK-FA invisible enough? Plus the F-117 was the first generation of stealth aircraft.

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?pageId=2254

Thats a interesting article, and I somehow doubt that they actually detected the Russians before they flew over.

Did you even read the article?
It was a failure of leadership rather than a failure of equipment.
They didn't see the need at the time to have fighter planes on such a short alert status, though they should have known that the Russians like to pull off a funny with allied air forces or naval forces.
Actually I'm not sure if in 2000, the Russians regularily did that at all.
But if you read the article, the carrier was at its most vulnerable state where it could not launch aircraft due to refueling and was in a station where it expected minimal to no threats.
Also the said aircraft in question were conventional Russian aircraft. Should we conclude that all Russian 4th generation fighters are stealth? Is that what you're getting at? Because you posted it as a response to me saying that the Russians have no experience with stealth aircraft currently.

The incident refers to the following:
The Russians timed their little "practical joke" while the USS Kitty Hawk (a non nuclear air craft carrier that requires refueling at sea) was in its most vulnerable state.
The Americans thinking that nothing was going to happen decided to keep their guard down.
The Russians were probably not even noticed while flying around in their own airspace because that would be expected of them. The Sea of Japan is not a very big place. By turning suddenly and going straight for the carrier group, aircraft on alert-30 probably will not have had time to react.
Had the threat been absolutely serious, those Russian jets would have been blown out of the sky by fleet SAM systems. But remember, in the 90's the US tried so hard to make Russia a friend of the US. They weren't going to blow up half of Russia's useful airforce (yeah, that's what the guys who showed up were, about half of Russia's 4th generation air force capable of flying) over something like this.

According to your logic, the suicide fishing boat used to attack the USS Cole should have been invisible to the naked eye.

removed by admin

Last edited by a moderator:
You should read my posts.
I'm no big fan of George W Bush.
If it was plasma stealth paint you were talking about, why didn't you even say so? There's been rumors about a stealth coating for conventional aircraft but seeing how this has not really caught on, I am very skeptical about it.
If it were real, couldn't you see how Russia could totally trump all US aircraft sales? Buy a Russian flying junk and get plasma stealth coating 50% off!!! Budget stealth jet. But no such deal has materialized. Why? Because the stealth coating is probably not as half as effective as they claim.

I give credit to Warsaw Pact equipment where it's due. I give it criticism to where it's due as well. I've already pointed out some Russian gear that would get my nod, but I guess unless I think everything out of Russia is bad ass you won't be happy.

Then why only one down?

hahahha so funny :) great stuff.

well first of all Russians often tend to find the best ways out. US makes a stealthy plane and Russia will simply make a radar that will expose your stealth.

but in general stealth was invented by USSR in the 60's

as for PAK -FA.....lets wait and see but as always fan boys will scream thhat its Russian.

often when wars start and Russians go to war with their own RUSSIAN weapons people tend to not want to be on the wrong side of the barrels/missiles etc.

as for PAK -FA.....lets wait and see but as always fan boys will scream thhat its Russian.

often when wars start and Russians go to war with their own RUSSIAN weapons people tend to not want to be on the wrong side of the barrels/missiles etc.

To be honest, I seriously wasnt expecting that reply.

Do you think any of these jets will be as good or as stealthy as the Raptor. When all these are complete, will the Raptor still be the definitive fighter jet in the world? Do you think 183 Raptors is enough, due to these fighters?

As good may-be but not as stealthy as Raptor ..
Raptor as visible for radars as ping pong ball (so it is INVISIBLE) no radar can catch a ping pong ball ... So it is the stealthiest thing in the world ...

Finally found a picture of the PAK FA

fu3uhy.jpg

The Raptor is considered the best air superiority fighter. Too bad the F22 project is canceled =( but it just costs too much. The US is suppose to sell a few to Japan because Japan's scared of N. Korea and I think those F22 can handle N. Korea. There's a reason why Japan specifically selected the F22, it's the best.

We'll have to see how the bugs in the F-22 get ironed out.
You don't need an F-22 to handle North Korea though obviously it'll help.
Japan's looking to have her Imperial Japanese Military up and running in 2045. They're slowly preparing to take off the whole Self Defense Force mentality and doctrine. They want to be a regional and world power once again, which is the real reason they want the F-22.
With their problems of population shortage though... we'll have to see what's in store for them. A huge influx of Korean immigrants? That would be like history repeating itself.
Anyways, F-22 for Japan isn't really so much about North Korea but the region as a whole.

The US is suppose to sell a few to Japan because Japan's scared of N. Korea and I think those F22 can handle N. Korea. There's a reason why Japan specifically selected the F22, it's the best.
Apparently one Democrat (Rep or Senator?) has blocked funding for the Air Force to even study an export version. The Manufacturer says if the line is disassembled it won't be reassembled. The Govt is taking a long term gamble that they have enough.

Back