Questions about the national guard concerning being 18 when in High school and others

tylert14

Hello guys, nice forum you've got, I was asking my military savy friend some questions and he recomended that I come here and ask also.

My main question is, I will be 18 a few days after I start my Sr. year and I wish to join the National guard when I turn 18. I was planning on going to basic the summer before sr. year (with my parents signature, I know) and then starting the day I turn 18 so I can get some of my time in the guard served ASAP. So I guess my question is... Is that possible? I've heard of the DEP, but from what I understand, the other scenario I stated above is possible.

Here's some of my other questions, I'll make a list and number them so if anyone knows answers could you number the answer in your post the same number as my question.

1. Are there any 3 year contracts in the NG.

2.I'm in PA now, but I plan on moving to NC to go to college, how will I go about transfering, will it be a big hastle, is it even feasable?

3.From what I understand, I get to pick out 3 MOS' that I would like to go into when I enlist. Is it garaunteed I will get them, almost positive, or is that just something they "go off of" and I can get stuck with anything?

4.Im not going to lie, I don't want to go into infantry or something more "front line ish" I have no problem serving my country, but I have plans that really need financial support and that is mainly why I will be joining, I don't want to put myself in harms way any more than necesary. I'd like to do something that carrys over into the civilian world.

5. Any suggestions for MOS' that carry over into the civi world?

6. From what I understand even though it's the national guard, Its almost a given that I will get deployed, my question is, how long will my deployments be, and how many of them?

7. I plan on getting a part time job and going to college all while being in the NG, how will that work when I get deployed?

8. How does the sighning bonus work? It's advertised up to 10 thousand dollars I believe, "up to" being the key word I suppose. So how much should I really look forward to getting, and do I get it when I enlist, or after my 4 years are done.

9. Any info on the NGs college support would be welcomed.

Thank you to anyone who reads my (long) post, looking forward to some feedback.

-Tyler

First off, yes, it is possible. I'm currently 17 and I joined with parental permission and am currently serving one weekend a month, two weeks a year, and am going to basic this summer before my Senior year.

As for your three year contract question, I truthfully have no idea. I personally signed up for an eight year contract, but that's just me.

Going to NC shouldn't be a problem. All that you would need to do is ask your recruiter, and he'll put you on the right track. You'd be able to fly out on one of the next military airplanes over for the cost of an MRE...about $7

MOS' are not gauranteed. I have actually ended up enlisting in my secong pick MOS. With recruiters working all over the nation, an MOS will eventually get full, hense the picking of three of them.

Just about anything you do can carry over into your civilian life. I personally went Cavalry Scout, bt others choose things like being mechanics, pilots, and even people who put up interior lighting! But I'll warn you. If you are ever deployed to a warzone, you are a soldier forst, a rifleman second, a warrior third, and then fourth you are whatever your MOS designates you as.

Just about anything. I've given a few examples above.

Deployment time depends on where you are going, and how much they need you. As for how many of them, I truthfully have no clue. However, you are given an alotted amount of time to relax between deployments.

Well, just think., If you're deployed, you're usually out of country. That means the job as well as college stops.

Enlistment bonus. The fun part. "up to 10 grand" I happened to get 20 grand as my enlistment bonus. You get half after you complete basic and AIT, and then the other half I believe after four years.

College support. How does this sound? 100% college tuition assistance. Not to mention a possible tuition waver. Ask your recruiter, they can explain it better than I can.

Hooah, and good luck!

PV2 Murphy

Hi, Tyler. Cyrus covered you pretty good, but he was off on a couple of things, more specifically the MOSes. I'll also try to expound alittle on some of the other things he posted for you.

I'm no longer in the Army, currently USAF, but I work jointly with all branches very often, and try to keep current on all of the recruiting tidbits.

tylert14 said:
1. Are there any 3 year contracts in the NG.

All contracts for the military run 8 years. Depending on how you choose to serve, some of those years will be what's called IRR (individual ready reserves). So you're joining the National Guard, you'll sign an 8 year contract, but you'll only actually actively serve 2 days a month, 2 weeks a year for 6 of those years. Your last two, your name just stays on a little list in case some bad juju goes down and they need you back.

2.I'm in PA now, but I plan on moving to NC to go to college, how will I go about transfering, will it be a big hastle, is it even feasable?

It's not that hard to transfer Guard units. You tell your current unit, they help set you up with your new unit, then you report when you move.

3.From what I understand, I get to pick out 3 MOS' that I would like to go into when I enlist. Is it garaunteed I will get them, almost positive, or is that just something they "go off of" and I can get stuck with anything?

You get to pick your MOS. So let's say you want to be an 11Bravo (infantryman). And that is ALL you want to be. With the Guard you've got to look at two things. A) is there an NG unit within travel distance that has this MOS. B) is the MOS available at MEPS.

(I know you said you don't want infantry, but I'm going to use it as an example for you)

I would advise you to NOT sign any contract for ANY MOS you don't want. The Army will guarantee you an individual MOS. So, say your Guard unit DOES have 11Bravos in it, when you get to MEPS and they say "well, we don't have infantry (not likely, but it's an example), would you like to be a cook, truck driver, etc?" You would say "No, I'll just come back when that MOS is open." Don't settle and don't let anyone push you into any job you don't want. If you walk out, they'll call you back and eventually you will get the MOS you want (as long as you qualify for it).

4.Im not going to lie, I don't want to go into infantry or something more "front line ish" I have no problem serving my country, but I have plans that really need financial support and that is mainly why I will be joining, I don't want to put myself in harms way any more than necesary. I'd like to do something that carrys over into the civilian world.

5. Any suggestions for MOS' that carry over into the civi world?

That's fine, and that's an okay reason to join, but remember that you will be subject to federlization and that means you could be deployed. Remember that, and understand that if it happens you are required to go. Nothing is free.

As for the MOS', some will carry over and some won't.

Army Enlisted Jobs Check that link out and read through some of the jobs available. Make up a list of ones that interest you and maybe post them here with any questions you have about them.

6. From what I understand even though it's the national guard, Its almost a given that I will get deployed, my question is, how long will my deployments be, and how many of them?

You may, or you may not get deployed. There is always a risk. How long will depend on a lot of things. I know some ARNG guys that were gone 24 months, some 18, some 12 and some 6. I think the average is around 12 to 18 months.

7. I plan on getting a part time job and going to college all while being in the NG, how will that work when I get deployed?

The law requires your company to hold A job for you. It might not be the job you had when you left, but they do have to give you a job when you return.

8. How does the sighning bonus work? It's advertised up to 10 thousand dollars I believe, "up to" being the key word I suppose. So how much should I really look forward to getting, and do I get it when I enlist, or after my 4 years are done.

Bonuses depend on a lot of things, from the job you pick to the number of years you sign on for. Most of the time they split the bonuses up, so for example, you get a 10K bonus for signing as an 88Mike (truck driver), you get 5k after you finish basic/AIT (your school) and another 5k after so long with your unit.

9. Any info on the NGs college support would be welcomed.

Most states offer educational incentives, some states offer 100% tuition assitance if you attend a state school (don't let it fool you, there IS a limit as to how much you can spend, but it's pretty reasonable). The Federal government always offers TA to Guard members now. You have to apply, and the only have so much money alloted, but if you get your app in early there's a good chance you can get it. Then there's the GI Bill.

National Guard and Reserve Tuition Assitance

ARNG Educational Benefits Information

Hope all of this helps you.

Just a note on deployability; if you absolutely DO NOT want to be deployed when you are MOS qualified, join ROTC. I am a reserve Soldier and I signed "split option" contract that says I can take year between basic and AIT to go to school (in my case, college). I swindled the Army out of a deployment by contracting with ROTC at my college in between BCT and AIT, so now I am won't be deployable for another 3 years (to get my degree and commission as a 2LT).

My point is that keep in mind once you become MOS qualified, you WILL be deployed. No ifs ands or buts about it, if you are eligible for deployment in the Guard or Reserves, DoD will do whatever it can to get you to play in the sandbox. So take PJ's advice and don't take no for an answer, and fight tooth and nail to get what you want. Good luck and stay out of trouble.

Maytime said:
My point is that keep in mind once you become MOS qualified, you WILL be deployed. No ifs ands or buts about it, if you are eligible for deployment in the Guard or Reserves, DoD will do whatever it can to get you to play in the sandbox.

That isn't necessarily true. There is a good chance one will be deployed, yes, and anyone joining should realize this and be prepared for it, but it isn't a guarantee. There are guys that have been TRYING to get deployed and have yet to do a tour in any of or theaters of operation. It depends on your unit and your job.

I think Maytime's point remains though. If you join, go ahead and be prepared (mentally and physically) to deploy, if it doesn't happen, it doesn't, but if it does at least you are prepared.

The law requires your company to hold A job for you. It might not be the job you had when you left, but they do have to give you a job when you return.

Note: The job they hold for you must have equivalent pay, benefits, hours etc as the position you left. If I am not mistaken you are also eligible for any raises in the time period you are gone.

Example: You work part time as a welder making $15 an hour and work 25 hours a week. You deploy and they hire a replacement for you. You come back and they decide to keep your replacement on. Say the only position they have open is a stockroom job, but it only pays $7.50 an hour for 15 hours a week. If I am not mistaken they have to pay you the $15 an hour and give you a minimum of 25 hours per week. I may be totally wrong.

I know a friend of mine deployed and when he came back his employers wound up paying him his old pay to do a job that they usually paid someone less to do. (make sense?)

Marinerhodes said:
Note: The job they hold for you must have equivalent pay, benefits, hours etc as the position you left. If I am not mistaken you are also eligible for any raises in the time period you are gone.

Example: You work part time as a welder making $15 an hour and work 25 hours a week. You deploy and they hire a replacement for you. You come back and they decide to keep your replacement on. Say the only position they have open is a stockroom job, but it only pays $7.50 an hour for 15 hours a week. If I am not mistaken they have to pay you the $15 an hour and give you a minimum of 25 hours per week. I may be totally wrong.

I know a friend of mine deployed and when he came back his employers wound up paying him his old pay to do a job that they usually paid someone less to do. (make sense?)

You're right on the money.

Back