questions about the M16 M4 and AR-15

USMCGrunt

Well i know there different but i thought the m16 was the standard weapon in most military branches. why do i see peeps in iraq with AR-15s and M4s and M16s?

The United States uses M16A2s, M16A4s, and M4 carbines. In the Marine Corps, which seems to be your main interest, it's mainly M16A4s (the ones with quad rails and a flattop upper receiver), with M4s for certain ranks. Obviously there are exceptions.

Oh, and the Navy uses M16A3s, as I found out this summer. Fun, but you'll never touch one if you go Marine, so not a big deal.

A3's are basically just A2's with an A1 trigger group that allows full auto fire. The Navy has a small number issued to NSW, Seabees and inland and coastal waterway security groups as well as SBU's.

Most Special Forces groups such as SAS, Marine Force Recon, SEALs, Green Berets, Israeli special forces, etc. jumped on the AR-15 for it's customability, i mean you can do anything with that thing, If you get fast you could switch from shooting a 5.56 to changing your reciever in 30 seconds to shooting 9mm, .50 Beowulf, .22, .300 fireball 6.8mm, or 6mm, plus thousands of grips, sights, lasers, and underslung grenade launchers, and its's reliability, the gas system on an AR-15 blows out dust and other materials with every shot, making it a perfect weapon for Iraq and Afghanistan. Its accuracy is very VERY good. (much superior to the AK-47) and besides the myths about the standard 5.56 round, it has killed alot of asian losers in vietnam, terrorists and enemies of NATO.

the M4 is for more close quarters combat and is prefered by some troops in Iraq and Afghanistan because of urban and house to house fighting.

Hope that helps and Fun shootin :cowb:

Most Special Forces groups such as SAS, Marine Force Recon, SEALs, Green Berets, Israeli special forces, etc. jumped on the AR-15 for it's customability, i mean you can do anything with that thing,

The USAF adopted the AR15/M16 first to replace theM1/M2/M3 carbine series, USASF followed them issuing limited numbers to ODA advisory teams in Vietnam, by all accounts SF was not impressed with the M16 until the bugs were worked out mid to late 1960's.

As far Recon as late as 1969 still fielding teams with M3's and M14's and Marine Rifle Companies also fought adopting the M16.

The SEALS did not adopt the M16 readily favoring instead the Stoner 63 LMG/Rifle System.

Most Commonwealth troops (Aussies, Kiwi's etc) first adopted the M16 in a carbine role when it was adopted the main battle rifle being the L1A1 Brits too.
the M4 is for more close quarters combat and is prefered by some troops in Iraq and Afghanistan because of urban and house to house fighting.

The M4 is pretty much maligned in A'stan do to the increased distances on engagement.

The M16 was adopted to decrease the combat load of the rifle man while increasing his ability to carry more ammo. The M16 hasn't really become highly adaptable until recently.

Back