questions about drill...

tankgirl_88

Hey, i was wondering if anyone has any tips about working on your 'drill voice'. I am doing the RMC prep year, and as i have recently become flight leader, this would be of a great deal of help. The hard thing i think, is sounding RIGHT. i know the commands well enough, its just that i want to try to avoid sounding whiny, b :cen: y, or high pitched. I have noticed this seems to be a problem for girls, sounding tough and all. :oops:
Anyways. if anyone has any tips, i would appreciate it.
thanks
tg :D

If you sing you will understand this more.

When you sound off use your diaphragm like the guy above me said. If you don't know how do this. Put your hand on your stomach, now say "ah!" as you do that push down on your stomach with your hands and open your throat. Now try to do that without pushing with your hands, instead push with your stomach. The end result should be you becoming louder and clear.

I know being a girl and sounding off may be a little weird, but with time a practice you'll be fine. Oh, and please pretty please do not sound off with a girly voice, it hurts the ears...*shudders from memorys of a female flight sgt*

good luck,

As both alliehz and Nulli said, use your diaphragm. Commands will be much clearer. Whatever you do, don't call commands from the throat. You'll kill your voice, and being Flight Leader, that would not be a good thing...well not for you anyway. ;)

try to sound like a man... jk ... use your diaphram as they said, but we don't seem to have that problem, our ALPO seems to be a little quiet.

At encampment I had a female flight sgt, she would use her throat when she sounded off, and by the secound day she lost her voice. It was actually pretty funny, she would report and all you would hear is like one or two words at best. And when she would call commands we would be like "wha?" then she would get mad...fun times. Anyways, learn from the people who have gone before you.

Do as the others said, but also, try to "bark". May sound weird, but if you do it right, the results are great. Make it deep and "rolling". You won't sound like a complete jackass, snapping your commands with some retarded, high-pitched or wannabe sound.

The Marine Corps Order P5060.20 states that your command voice should make proper use of all the muscles on your face. You should pronounce your commands and the commands should be given at a 120 beats per minute pace. Use inflection (the rise and decline of ones voice) to inspire confidence. A distinct, smart sounding, snappy command will recieve distinct, smart, and snappy replies (movements). Be confident. Be loud. Do not over bark your command. Be distinct, Use diction. and you should be fine.

Oh yea, dont slur your words or anything like that. Diction, what he said. Make sure they understand you, so they all dont get confused and do different things.

alliehz said:
If you sing you will understand this more.

When you sound off use your diaphragm like the guy above me said. If you don't know how do this. Put your hand on your stomach, now say "ah!" as you do that push down on your stomach with your hands and open your throat. Now try to do that without pushing with your hands, instead push with your stomach. The end result should be you becoming louder and clear.

I know being a girl and sounding off may be a little weird, but with time a practice you'll be fine. Oh, and please pretty please do not sound off with a girly voice, it hurts the ears...*shudders from memorys of a female flight sgt*

good luck,

The part about singing- I try SOOO hard to get my various future Drill Commanders to do chorus. I've been singing my entire life and I have quite a massive command voice.

There's an exercise that you can do, also. You lay on the floor and grab the ankles of a partner(Your partner should be standing above your head). As hard as you can, try to kick your partnerin the face(feet together, legs straight) and exhale at the same time. Your partner should push your feet away as hard as possible, but you shouldn't let your feet touch the ground. Do about 3 sets of 25. You will work your diaphram and your fat stomach at the same time.

You can also watch anything you think is funny and laugh as hard as you can... It's good for the heart and mind!

http://www.drillpad.net/DPcommandvoice.htm

This will help you a LOT, considering you're Air Force and use the term "flight." You can listen to examples by clicking on the little text boxes. A key to cadence, which we're taught at Leadership Academy, is to leave a one scond count in between prepatory and execution.

bellow it out of your gut, but dont make it sound like your speaking German. you'll have someone MAD at you in no time. :D ;)

Back