Question for USMC forum members

Botak

Hi guys,

I saw a thread on another forum and it prompted me to get curious on what the reality was when deployed...

Obviously it can be pretty difficult to get an "Average" opinion, let alone a consensus, everyone has their own views and opinions...

But I was wondering if you could let me know your views on Navy Corpsmen attached to Marine Rifle units? The thread I came across indicated they were held in some derision, as if they'd taken a "back door" to their place within a given subunit...

Not being intimately familiar with US Marines beyond what I've read in books, I thought I'd ask the question here and see if such a view could be considered typical or on the other hand anomalyous. I'm definitely not looking for a Service vs Service shitstorm here. Simply looking for frank and honest views. As I said, knowing about a particular service organisation's history through academic exposure and knowing about the same organisation through a more practical perspective are two different things.

Hi guys,

I saw a thread on another forum and it prompted me to get curious on what the reality was when deployed...

Obviously it can be pretty difficult to get an "Average" opinion, let alone a consensus, everyone has their own views and opinions...

But I was wondering if you could let me know your views on Navy Corpsmen attached to Marine Rifle units? The thread I came across indicated they were held in some derision, as if they'd taken a "back door" to their place within a given subunit...

Not being intimately familiar with US Marines beyond what I've read in books, I thought I'd ask the question here and see if such a view could be considered typical or on the other hand anomalyous. I'm definitely not looking for a Service vs Service shitstorm here. Simply looking for frank and honest views. As I said, knowing about a particular service organisation's history through academic exposure and knowing about the same organisation through a more practical perspective are two different things.

I'm not speaking for all units or even speaking from MY experiences (I am not in the Marine Corps although my husband is). He has always held his "docs" in high esteem because they do everything the Marines do. The Marine Corps does not have an MOS for medical so the "docs" are responsible for in the health and well being of the Marines. Poems have even been written about "docs".

I'm the one called "Doc"
I shall not walk in your footsteps,
but I will walk by your side.
I shall not walk in your image,
I've earned my own title of pride.
We've answered the call together,
on sea and foreign land.
When the cry for help was given,
I've been there right at hand.
Whether I am on the ocean
or in the jungle wearing greens,
Giving aid to my fellow man,
be it Sailors or Marines.
So the next time you see a corpsman
and you think of calling him "squid,"
think of the job he's doing
as those before him did.
And if you ever have to go out there
and your life is on the block,
Look at the one right next to you...
I'm the one called "Doc."
Harry D. Penny, Jr. HMC(AC) USN

I hope I answered your question.

How can branch rivalry be an issue when in a firefight and you get hit ???

When you're hit, and you see the medic/corpsman coming to help you, what the **** does it matter if he's navy, airforce, army, marine ???

I hold those blokes in the highest esteem - because I know if I get hit - they will be there...

Last edited:
Medics of any kind are liked. They are the ones who walk around and ask you how you are and if anything is wrong, you get the feeling they legitimately care. In my unit Medics are expected to cover down like Infantry and scouts. They arent going to be the first person through a door but they could likely be the last one in.

Correct me if I'm wrong... In terms of branch rivalry, smack-talking will always exist, but when all hell breaks loose, keeping the team intact comes before becoming the top player.

At least, that's my impression on the situation. No personal experience.

Correct me if I'm wrong... In terms of branch rivalry, smack-talking will always exist, but when all hell breaks loose, keeping the team intact comes before becoming the top player.

At least, that's my impression on the situation. No personal experience.

Yes of course but I think thats why he was asking because there is branch competitiveness.

Why the **** would you deride the bloke saving your life? Dumb arse question.

I asked the question precisely because the sentiment is a stupid one, and inter-branch/corps rivalry aside I couldn't imagine any good reason to insult your medics.

Not being a US Marine, or a USN Corpsman however, I have no personal experience and therefore perspective on it - I'm big enough and smart enough soldier to admit when I don't know about something 100% and ask the question - the only dumbarses I've ever met in my 8 years service are the ones who don't ask questions. So no offence Wallabies, but if you don't see any value in the question, guess what mate - you don't have to, yeah? I asked it for my own info, not yours. :sarc:

I am not a Marine. I am a retired Army Surgeon who treated Marines who were injured in the Beirut bombing. I also and who did serve in SW Asia during Desert Shield and Desert Storm.

A key to morale for any one on the front line, Soldier, Sailor, Airman or Marine is the knowledge that he/she has medical support, that if he/she is wounded he/she will survive and recover. American Field military medicine is the best in the world. A wounded service member really does not care which service recovers him/her from the battlefield and treats his/her wounds.

I must add, I believe Kevin Kiley, considering the concern or lack thereof he showed for the wounded when he commanded Walter Reed, was not an example of the best military medicine in the world.

Docs in our units are one of the guys, the only rejection ive ever heard of a doc experiencing, was when a fat doc checkin into a new unit.

They fight along side us, and when I was in one particular firefight, we had one corpsman, and I felt the overwhelming urge to keep his ass safe!

Screw with me fine. Screw with my Marines, they can take care of themselves.

Screw with my Doc you best stand the hell by for your ass whippin by me and mine.

Never underestimate "human stupidity". A human being is capable of doing the most stupid things you can think of...

If you believe that mocking the guy that might save your life is way too retarded... Well, get ready for a ride.

The odds might be a little better, due to discipline, to military tradition etc... But military tradition can be double edged. If it's a good one, the medics will have a clean spot. In other occasions, it can be offensive to medics as they are not fighting units...

You see a lot of soldiers speaking about "non grunts" or god knows how they call them... And these guys arent always medics and trauma units... But they are the ones making the whole war machine work. They dont save your life with medical care, but ammo and fuel saves lives not? (not talking about the enemy's life here)

They bring food, ammo and fuel when everything is fine... And when it hits the fan, they pull guns to return fire... And they are treated like crap very often...

Medics are fine.

Absolutely none...

Correct me if I said something wrong... No need to insult people like that.

You are like a 14 year old girl... Sorry princess for hurting your feelings... Jeez...

My feelings aren't hurt.
I find it baffling that someone would try to talk with authority about something they have no clue about.

Come on, why do you say "with authority"?

And I believe I know a little about human nature. And I can say that we are able to do the most stupid things you can imagine...

And I have a little knowledge about the military world... I took the time to read books, to read people in forums, to watch documentaries... etc...

And there is a difference between saying "STFU" and "I dont agree with you, in fact you are wrong when you say..."

You behave like a caveman...

Back