Question

KC72

can anyone tell me the exact number of British and French loses in world war one? i can't seem to find a definitive number.

Also, can someone tell me the numbers of French and British evacuated from Dunkirk?

There is no definitive number. Exact casualty figures from any war is a relatively recent phenomenon, and the First World War is definitely not a recent one. Both sides sent millions of men into that meat grinder and the battlefields of France, Belgium and Germany remain dotted with crosses which state, "A Soldier of the Great War, Known only unto God" We'll never know, so you basically have to read the estimates and support only those that seem reasonable to you.

Dean.

For the British War Dead try the Commonwealth Graves Commission. Now a number of you might find this site very interesting, even more so if you have a British or Commonwealth link. You can type in a name and the force if you know it and get a list of the people that were killed, it will tell you were they fell and when and where you can find the grave. This covers both World Wars.

Please don’t forget the Canadians

Over 600,000 Canadians enlisted in the Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF) during the First World War (1914-1918).

In fact, by the end of its four-year duration 418,000 Canadians had fought in the Great War - 60,000 gave their lives "for king and empire" and are buried in the fields of Belgium and France.

Back