A question. Please drop in :)

MightyMacbeth said:
Hi :)okay, so I got a question. What is the D-Link network card?

A computer question I can actually answer. "D Link" is a name brand, like "Kellogg" or "Dell."

As to the second part, someone else can probably answer it in more detail than I can but here goes:

A network card is basically a card that allows your computer to communicate with other computers. It makes it so that you can share resources, files, hardware and internet connections with other computers on the network.

hmm I see.. so basically, that d-ling thing needs that router in order for me to be able to have wireless internet right?

And how much does that approximately cost?

Well Mighty Mac B, first off your gonna need a broadband connection. I remember you telling me the one day that you had dial up, which is a no-go. If you do have broadband, you connect the ethernet wire from your modem into the router. Then you need to hook up your wireless card to your PC. That should do the trick.

MightyMacbeth said:
hmm I see.. so basically, that d-ling thing needs that router in order for me to be able to have wireless internet right?
Absolutly ...... and a Broadband Connection .
And how much does that approximately cost?

Well Depends ...... You can Get a Router For Around 120 Pounds to 300 Pounds .. :)

Steps you need to take (I'll have to use US dollars, so the prices will probably be off for you):
  1. Get broadband connection. This will run you 30 to 50 USD a month.
  2. Get a wireless router, network cards for your computers. Anywhere from 50 to 100 USD for the router and 30 to 80 USD for the cards.
  3. Connect the modem to the router via ethernet (looks like a chunky phone cord), it will come with your modem and router
  4. Get online, play.

1)whats a broadband connection?

2)I got that internet card, its the d-link network card right? , so all I need is a router?

3)ethernet? and wait a second, u confused me, connect the modem to the router? via ethernet? whoa... I think I need a facilitated definition of all those stated devices...

4)lets not dream too much :lol:

MightyMacbeth said:
1)whats a broadband connection?

3)ethernet? and wait a second, u confused me, connect the modem to the router? via ethernet? whoa... I think I need a facilitated definition of all those stated devices...

Broadband is another word for internet access with greater speed than 128 kbps (maximum allowed speed on ISDN with both ISDN channels in use), normally the definition is used to identify any given ADSL speed.

Ethernet is your family of protocols made for networking, suitable for LAN/WAN and internet/intranet network access. You find a brief documentation on Ethernet here :-> http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/ito_doc/ethernet.htm

Anyways, a router is a device that forwards data packets along networks, typically connected to at least two networks (LAN - WAN or LAN - ISP). Routers are located at the gateway; where two or more networks connect.

Last edited:
oh, I see.. hmm, it would take a while to clearly distinguish what you have kindly stated, and I shall do my best :)

oh one question, how will it be possible to get a broadband connection first when I only got dail-up? am I supposed to get broadband first and then work on the wireless? is that what the guys meant?

anymore is always welcomed :)

Last edited:
Hi,

MightyMacbeth said:
oh, I see.. hmm, it would take a while to clearly distinguish what you have kindly stated, and I shall do my best :)

oh one question, how will it be possible to get a broadband connection first when I only got dail-up? am I supposed to get broadband first and then work on the wireless? is that what the guys meant?

anymore is always welcomed :)

Contact a Internet Service Provider To get a Broadband Connection First then Use the Wireless Thingy :) ...

Check out VMP Internet Services Inc. or Arab Telecomm, not sure how much broadband is per month, though.

Remember to secure your wireless at home network though, you do not want your next door neighbour sniffing your private documents and stealing your bandwidth, do you? :mrgreen:

sunb! said:
Remember to secure your wireless at home network though, you do not want your next door neighbour sniffing your private documents and stealing your bandwidth, do you? :mrgreen:

Only if she's really hot. :mrgreen:

Back