A question. Please drop in :)

MightyMacbeth said:
lol, wait wait.. what are you talking about sunb! and PJ?? sounded scary yet funny lol

Mighty, there are security issues with wireless networking. You can choose to have an open or a secure network. An open network means that anybody that is within reach of the signals sent from your wireless node can logon to your network and surf the web and even catch up your data communications with the right tools. If you have a local server installed, either a dedicated PC as server or if you are running Windows 2000 Server edition (as an example) on your primary PC, it is possible to gain full read/write access to your private files. You can actually end up being locked out of your own network if someone is mean enough to do so.

A secure network requires you to manually log on to your at home network with a username and password, there are as well some other bits that can come in handy such as data package encryption and limitation of the distance the radio signals are sent, but you don't have to spend too much time thinking about that until you want to learn more about it.

There are actually a large number of people who install wireless networks and believe it is secure because it is "at home", but a guy with a laptop and a networking card can catch up your signals 300 to 500 meters away, and you don't even notice.

Get your connection working first, then we can chat about security and how to install it properly :sleep:

Last edited:
MightyMacbeth

Before bdoing/buying anything...

Could you explain what you are trying to do? What is your goal?

Last edited:
sunb! said:
An open network means that anybody that is within reach of the signals sent from your wireless node can logon to your network and surf the web and even catch up your data communications with the right tools. If you have a local server installed, either a dedicated PC as server or if you are running Windows 2000 Server edition (as an example) on your primary PC, it is possible to gain full read/write access to your private files. You can actually end up being locked out of your own network if someone is mean enough to do so.

Speak of the devil I watched a demonstration of that at a trade show this past week, very impressive and scarey. After what I saw the secure connection is the only way to go.

bulldogg said:
Speak of the devil I watched a demonstration of that at a trade show this past week, very impressive and scarey. After what I saw the secure connection is the only way to go.

Interesting, very interesting. Can we tell us a bit about that demonstration?

At this trade show a guy was showing off his company's latest and greatest wireless modem. One of the gentlemen watching inquired as to the security of it and was assured off the cuff of its wonderful security features. So this gentleman takes his laptop out of the case and begins to "hunt" the other's connection. I do not understand how it was done but I know in the end he was downloading the files off the demonstrator's hard drive.

so many people dont secure thier wireless networks properly.
my friend and i did a test: we walked up my street with his laptop with wireless card and scanned for networks. we found 10 networks, 4 of them were not secure!
its so easy to secure them, the instructions should come with the wireless card.

mighty: to get broadband you should call your internet service provider and upgrade your package. they will then come to your residence and install the cable and a broadband modem.a cable will run from the cable they install to the modem, and then from the modem to your computer. this will give you broadband internet access.
now if you want to have wireless access to the internet you will need to purchase a wireless router and a wireless internet card. they will need to be set up. long story short cable now goes from wall into modem and then into wireless router. install the wireless card into your computer and it will now pick up the signal being transmitted by the router.
remember when installing stuff to have the modem turned off as you wont be secure to start with. keep it turned off until you have completed all the steps required to secure the wireless signal or you risk someone doing bad stuff to your computer!

my my my..

uhh... I dont know what to say..

*deep breath*, lets just.. stay cool for now heh.. Except that security thing really got my attention.. hmm.. how should I secure my wireless network in the same day as me getting it? is it something I install or what exactly.. ? I dont want to get it and then ask for it, cause it might be too late lol...

Anyway, mmarsh, I am thinking of getting me some type of wireless network :)

Interesting story gentlemen, and Locke, thanks for the info :)

Like Locke said, they're really easy to lockout. Unless you plan on having top secret documents on your computer, don't fret too much about it. No one should keep any financial/personal information on their harddrive anyway. I keep mine on encrypted pen-drives, when they aren't on my body or stuck into my computer, they're in my safe.

I've never had any problems with anyone trying to access my stuff. Lockout your wireless, throw up some firewalls, good virus protection.

You're more likely to have your personal information stolen from Amazon.com than your home computer files if you take the basic security steps these guys have mentioned.

quit stressing!!!
when you buy the router and networkcard the instructions WILL be in the box. they will be broken down into thier most basic steps. it is all set out there for you. and if you struggle, call your ISP/ get the dude to set it all up when he installs the cable.

yep, heh, sorry.. just worried :)

anyway, umm, do I have to buy a new networkcard?? I got one already, the dlink network card.. That should do right?

Back