Question: The People & International Relations?

Ollie Garchy

Americans on Promoting Democracy--Poll (September 29, 2005)

Chicago Council on Foreign Relations and Program on International Policy Attitudes.

A new poll finds that a majority of Americans reject the idea of using military force to promote democracy. Only 35% favored using military force to overthrow dictators. Less than one in five favored the US threatening to use military force if countries do not institute democratic reforms

----------

My question is simple: how many forum members feel that they actually contribute to or influence the foreign policy decisions of their governments?

We all read the papers and/or watch the news on tv. We are therefore marginally aware of current events. But, are we responsible for the actions of our governments? Do we have any influence other than the occasional vote every so often?

Historians understand that government officials often conduct their business behind closed doors. The records of these deliberations (if any are made) are subsequently either destroyed or deposited in a closed archive. The "sensitivity" of this material determines when the public is given access to the stuff. In general, most of the documents are declassified about 20 or 30 years after the event. The best material sits around for nearly 100 years. Yes, some WWI and WWII documents are still closed.

Without access to the documents, how do we even know what our governments are doing? How can we "poorly informed" masses be held responsible for their actions? Should we question the actions of governments? Are we responsible?

http://www.cfr.org/publication/8932/americans_on_promoting_democracypoll_september_29_2005.html

I believe that America really has no right to interfere in other countries business. I know that I will get jumped on for saying that because this is such a pro-military forum, but I think its true. We have no real right to force other countries into accepting American ways. Now, in the case of Iraq, I think we liberated a group of people who needed liberating. In the case of an oppressive dictator, we can be confident in our ability to overthrow that dictator. But we cannot, I repeat cannot, just arbitrairily march into a country and say,"Hey! You need to become a democracy, just like the United States." That's not fair.I personally know that I have no influence at all considering I am still two years away from voting, but as for the members here of voting age who do vote, I say they have the power to choose the officials that run the country, therefore, they choose, indirectly, the foreign policies and the like. A sad fact is, many of us do not keep up with current events...I know that I do because I enjoy them...Sometimes I believe I was born in the wrong time because my age says that I enjoy partying, drinking,smoking,sex, and drugs. But my personality says that while I do and will enjoy some of those things; I also enjoy the occasional intellectual battle. Thats why my mom says I'm addicted to this forum...Because of the Political Decussions section, I am on here a lot of my free time...She hates it, but it helps me become my own person...Anyway, the point of that little soap box was that people need to become aware of whats going on in this country because, believe it or not, it does effect them.

I think that we as the People only have the information given to us. We may not have all the information, but we have to make the best decision based on the known facts. We have to take that information and use it to form an opinion. We are somewhat responsible for the gov't.s action because we choose the gov't.

the US is a representative democracy. this means the people we elect people to make our international decisions for us. this way the average person doesnt have to be constantly aware of international politics, our gov't does it for us. if they make a decision we dont like, we can elect someone else in the next election. while it would probably be a good thing if more people were aware of what is going on in the world, we dont have to. if the common citizen would vote directly on what course we would pursue, i think their would be problems, as the people tend to change their minds on issues frequently. i try to stay informed on what is happening, but it is hard.

Ollie said:
Without access to the documents, how do we even know what our governments are doing? How can we "poorly informed" masses be held responsible for their actions? Should we question the actions of governments? Are we responsible?

You and I will never fully know what is going on behind those doors. Luckily I can't remember something I was held responsible that was done by the Dutch government. Then again would you want to be informed over all that the government does? I know I wouldn't! But sometimes foul times require foul deeds. I don't agree with how they solve some things, but then again who am I to judge? I am not elected to solve the problems and don't know the full scope..... And those documents can stay where they are, because I wouldn't want to know.... would you?

therise21 said:
the US is a representative democracy. this means the people we elect people to make our international decisions for us. this way the average person doesnt have to be constantly aware of international politics, our gov't does it for us. if they make a decision we dont like, we can elect someone else in the next election.
But what if you don't even get informed about their decisions until 30 years later? Another point that bothers me is that you may elect another government, but the people that run the whole business, namely the diplomatic body and intelligence, stay in place and often have a lot of competences.

therise21 said:
while it would probably be a good thing if more people were aware of what is going on in the world, we dont have to. if the common citizen would vote directly on what course we would pursue, i think their would be problems, as the people tend to change their minds on issues frequently. i try to stay informed on what is happening, but it is hard.
I agree, that would probably cause very populist campaigns by certain groups. It's like that in Switzerland, they have a direct democracy with many referendums which I find a good idea in general but the campaigns are often overtly xenophobic and polemic... and succesful. (I'm half swiss so I always get leaflets and material for postal vote)

Loki, they are very astute observations, good show.

I must say that I feel that on a local level as a voter I have a high level of control but on the national level none. And Ted is correct in the hypothesis that you cannot influence that which you do not know about.

Unfortunatly i think the media have a more influence on goverments than the man in the street.

It's what the media lets us know about that influences us. If they have a story that might influence you towards one decision or another on a topic, then they stop becoming reporters and become commentators. They should present the facts to you straight and let you make your own mind up.

Even if we don't consider ourselves responsible for the decisions made in secrecy by our officials, i bet that foreign governments and citizens will.

KC72 said:
Unfortunatly i think the media have a more influence on goverments than the man in the street.

I think it would be safe to say that the media uses the man in the street for influencing government policy. If you see what our popular papers sometimes publices and how "the masses" react to that! You can't convince me that you could not forsee such reactions. So yes KC, I reckon you are right.

an "must mention" thing in this thread is:

is the media grown too strong with too tight conections to big-coperations who have significally political intrest....

Ace said:
an "must mention" thing in this thread is:

is the media grown too strong with too tight conections to big-coperations who have significally political intrest....

The media is the new priesthood and god rolled into one...all bow before the new graven image.

And on the sixth day viacom made the digital spectrum and saw that it was good. - excerpt from the book of mediagenesis.

Back