Question for the Marines here.

03USMC

Do any of the Marines here feel that First Sergeants should come from the same MOS as the Companies in which they are assigned? 0369'S to Infantry companies etc.
I ask this because it has apparently been brought up by the Gunners (CWO 0306 TYPES).
Any thoughts?

Yes for the most part.I think that in order to be a 1stSgt of an infantry unit you need to be infantry. At the same time those same 1stSgt's are gonna need admin schoolin because a lot of their job will consist of that. I still stay with keep the infantry with infantry and teach them the other stuff.

Thats pretty much what the Gunners were saying. Seems that the First Shirts in some units in the sandbox are doing some really silly garrison type sh*t .
They also broached the idea of assigning 0369 Master Sergeants in each company. Sorta like the Arty's Field Artillery Chiefs. Let the them handle training and let the 1st Shirts do the admin thing.
Having had Airwing and MP First sergeants I understand where they are coming from.

I am of two minds on this issue. I was in an artillery battery, and my very first First Sergeant was from tanks. He was an excellent First Sergeant and learned all he could about artillery. The Battery Gunny ran the technical side of things and the First Sergeant ran the admin side. No complaints.

Next First Sergeant we had was an Admin SNCO from the Air Wing. How he ever got assigned to a direct support firing battery is anyone's guess. He was completely out of his element. He knew the admin stuff cold, but the discipline and leadership a good First Sergeant brings was lacking.

I don't know that a First Sergeant from that MOS is essential, but I think a First Sergeant should be familiar with the type of unit assigned to. Such as Combat Arms units should have First Sergeants from Combat Arms, etc.

First Sargeants should be from the basic job that they are the most proficient. So, combat arms (Inf, Arty, Tnks) 1st Sargeants should be the only ones assigned to those units.

I had 1st Sgt's from the wing and Mp's and while they may have been outstanding in their MOS they never really could grasp the whole Rifle Company culture.
I also had 1st Sgt's from Tank's , Arty, and Combat Engineers who were great and made every effort to learn the duties of their Infantry Marines.
To the extent of asking questions of Lcpls .
I guess my opinion would be if you can't send em 0369 1st Sgt's at least send em 1st Sgt's from a Combat MOS. And let the support guys stay in support.

Agreed. I had a great SgtMaj while in Korea, was on extended duty with the units in country after Team Spirit and was caught with a case of OB in my teams GP tent by a Major, winger flyboy, and he was pissed. My SgtMaj stood by me until the end, all the way up to the Colonel. Did see a lick of restriction and actually was given a 72 by the SgtMaj and my commander. Great Marine, learned alot about leadership from him.

Update:
Gunners P/O Sgt Major of Marine Corps.
Apparentally Sgt. Major Estrada Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps (air winger) has some hurt burn over the Master Gunners comments on 1st Sergeants needing to be tatically sound.
He has said that he thinks the way things are are just fine. :)

Back