Question for Iraq veterans

deerslayer

Milforum Swamp Dweller
I'm working on a piece right now concerning the infamous "Death X" intersection in Iraq. It was one of the most dangerous intersections in Baghdad before the LA National Guard relieved the guys who had the road duty there. But, I can't seem to find any pictures of the place. Anyone know where I can get more information?

I've just done a quick DRN (defence restricted network) search for "death x" and I've found nothing. I've also tried searching civilian sources and still got nothing.

Not sure about this Death X place... has somebody been pulling your leg?

nah, "Death X" is what the guy told me. He's a 12B with the LA National guard. And yes, the place did become pretty safe after his unit got there, from what I hear.

Can anyone tell me of any other prime repeated ambush points they've encountered in Iraq?

There was a plane crash in my city the other week- he was supposed to be the NCOIC, so he had to make some calls. Since he was 60 miles away in another city, the men who were supposed to be under him thought he was pulling their leg.

Last edited:
any of the same type that you've seen in Iraq, Team Infidel? Places where a mounted patrol will always catch RPGs or small arms fire? (rhetorical question)
If so, can you describe the immediate area?

(I greatly appreciate any help y'all can give me)

deerslayer said:
any of the same type that you've seen in Iraq, Team Infidel? Places where a mounted patrol will always catch RPGs or small arms fire? (rhetorical question)
If so, can you describe the immediate area?

(I greatly appreciate any help y'all can give me)

Sorry, not the forum for it.. pushing the OPSEC

that's where I got my info on the "death x" intersection. The point of the piece is to illustrate the daily hazards that infantrymen face, because I believe, despite news coverage, that people back home forget what our people in uniform are doing. It displays the men, the actions, and the results as common- everday occurrences that we should all think about.
As a result, the piece uses only one main character (for viewpoint and color) and refers to the other characters simply by rank. I think that people who read it would have a positive response if there were only one character to bond with.

Last edited:
Anyway, I solved the dilemma by creating a scene of a (surprise, it goes with the territory) more-or-less common setting- intersection in a residential block. Christened the area after a fishing spot in my area, Hell Hole.

I've titled it "Steel Horses: The Commoner's War in Four Quarters"

Back