Question for the future military members

When I orginally joined in 1998, I joined solely for the college money. As time went by I grew to enjoy the military a little more. March 2003 I got activated and am still on the same mission. Since being on active duty I have gained knowledge I never knew existed. I want to continue on Active Duty after this mission is complete. My National Guard enlistment will be complete 17Jul and then I plan on going Active Duty. I want to do this because I can serve my country and I can provide my family the life that they deseve.

as it was well-worded on Black Hawk Down: "I ain't gonna say shit. Why? They wouldn't understand."

I chose the Marine Corps because my dad was a Marine and I loved his sexy dress blues.

At least, that was my reason when I made my decision in the seventh grade, but now, I'm joining because it seems to me as if my dad thinks I'm worthless, and I'd like to hear him call me worthless while I'm fighting to protect his right to call me worthless.

It's really complicated.

ITS A FUNNY THING THIS PRIDE. I WANT TO BE A MARINE CAUSE NO ONE SAYS I AM ABLE. EVERYONE SAYS WHY THE MILITARY...WHY THE MARINES? I TOO AM A BIT OF A DRIFTER. EVERY TIME I ENROLL IN A COLLEGE I EITHER GET KICKED OUT OR A NEAR DEATH EXPERIENCE DIVERTS MY ENROLLMENT. I HAVEN'T LIVED UP TO MY POTENTIAL AND CURRENTLY I AM JUST GETTING BY IN LIFE BY THE SKIN OF MY TEETH. MY MORALS HAVE BEEN COMPROMISED THROUGHOUT THE 21 YEARS I HAVE BEEN LIVING. I NEED TO PROVE TO MYSELF THAT I AM NOT A POS. MY GIRLFRIEND SAYS SHE WILL DUMP ME THE MINUTE I SIGN THE PAPERS...SO BE IT... I DON'T LIKE THE MAN I AM BECOMING. IF I DON'T CHANGE IT NOW PRETTY SOON I WON'T LIKE THE MAN I AM.

I VOTE, I *****...BETTER FIGHT FOR THE COUNTRY THAT GIVES ME THIS HONOR.

I chose to enlist because it always felt like something I couldn't do, like when you are a kid and you want to be an astronaut but you find out you need a lot more school, but more like soldiers had something that I didn't, my only two family members in the military died when i was very young (they were my grandpas). I also did it because I don't want to do nothing, I don't mean any disrespect but I don't want to be middle class my whole life, in the same town, same faces, I need a change. But I don't think I would enlist if the U.S. didn't have the marines, no other branch really motivates me or make me feel like I'm undertaking something that so few even try, I don't think I could make it through army boot camp because I don't believe the Army would motivate me the way the Marines already have.

Sorry for rambling. :oops:

ACTaFOOL82 said:
I wanna join because God made me a fine instrument of warfare. j/k
...but really for the college, chicks, respect, and pimpness of a soldier in uniform. :cowb:

LMAO. You crack me up.

I joined because of many reasons:

1. Family Tradition
2. Pride in myself and my country
3. There are no jobs in Ohio
4. See the world and get to kill people...J/K

I am a 'chick'. I'd like to hear why you all think girls join up. I certainly am NOT joining up to impress girls with my garrison cap. And while men in uniforms do have their charms. Girl's don't get the same draw from guys.

Threads getitn on a bit but anyway I joined cause I went to college to study IT and damn was it boring, so I dropped out.
Then I realised I had no qualifications so I applied for a job at a supermarket, I waited a month for an interview to get this dead end job and instead of going to the interview I went to my Army careers office, the second you walk in there you get inspired like never before, now Im just waiting for my fitness test and I cant wait!
Oh and the chicks (my girlfriend did dump me wen I signed up! lol) :shock:

My 2 cents

Let me throw my 2 cents in:

I joined because I'm not originally from this country, but I realize that living in this country, has made it possible for me to be who I am today and has provided opportunities that I would not have otherwise have in my country of origin. At 24 years old, I am in a Master's program, I own my own business, I have a 2005 vehicle, I never have to think twice about going out to eat, indulging myself, or buying clothes or shoes....... and then I realized, I have so many things and I'm so young, I feel like I have a duty to give back while I can, to help protect the values and the country that have made it all possible for me while at the same time learning things that the civilian world just can't teach: a sense of duty and commitment to intangible values that tangibly make it possible to be who we are today, among other things.
I admire the young men and women that choose to serve today in times of war, and I hope that the young men who put up some of these posts are joking about their main motivation to joining the military being women and sex, because first, it sounds really pathetic and second, it scares me to think that these are the guys that are representing us abroad. I mean Cpl Graner, Lyndie England, ring a bell? Anyway....... that was my 2 cents.

Because i want a life, not just a job

I want to grow old with some stories to tell

I want to see the world

I want to defend my country and its interests

and i want to meet people from an ancient culture, and kill them
lol

So here's my story. I've wanted to be an astronaut ever since I could walk and talk. Which led me to wanting to be a pilot, which eventually led me to realizing that the military was for me. So since then I've put things together here and there, taking flying lessons doing the engineering thing, then snooping around asking recruiters some questions.
It came to the point with 9/11 and Iraqi Freedom it made me want to join sooner. Which is where I'm at now. I'm thinking Army MI because I've had this "007" thing in the back of my head my entire life also. I think that little obsession of mine goes almost as far back as wanting to go to the moon. But so far the Army has the best educational benefits, since I plan to persue an advanced degree, and I can fly helos which will get me close to the action. Not only that the Army has an astronaut program too, so who knows, maybe that time will come.

I wanna kill ppl and not get in trouble. No, I actually wanted to be a spaceman too. I may get that chance coming up, but we'll have to wait and see. My vision is just off enough to x me from the fighter pilot stuff despite my asvab score so there goes that dream. But I come from a family of grunts. Men that have seen hard dirty war. I have a daughter that I wouldn't have had if I had chosen a certain ill fated flight. 9/11 was way close to home for me. So I did my homework and ended up on the Corps. Yes the dress blues are known as panty droppers, but no real need for that in my case. I compared history of the different branches and compared the amount of bullshit the recruiters gave me. I got no BS from my Marine recruiter. Didn't promise me a damn thing, didn't tell me all these wonderful stories. So now I'm here waiting to be shipped. My advice to applicants, before you sign the dotted line. Spend much time doing ur homework on the matter. See who can offer you what in writing. And see who has the history and tradition that most appeals to you. When you do get yourself in, remember not to disgrace your service and the memory of those who came before you.

Banzai said:
My advice to applicants, before you sign the dotted line. Spend much time doing ur homework on the matter. See who can offer you what in writing. And see who has the history and tradition that most appeals to you. When you do get yourself in, remember not to disgrace your service and the memory of those who came before you.

WOW! VERY WELL SAID, BANZAI!

I want to become a Marine. I want to have more confidence, become disciplined, have honor, courage. commitment, serve my country, and maybe do some good. Why Marines? They're the best fighting force in the U.S. and maybe even the world. It's harder to become a Marine than it is to become a soldier. I want to earn the title. I want the hardest and toughest way out. The brotherhood, and because its more "team" than "one."
Lamm

I bascially wanted to join since I was 6 when I wore my Pops medals on ANZAC Day. I felt so pround, and wanted to do something for my country like my pop.

Back