Question to fairly new U.S. Marines.

AikiRooster

Tube Monkey USMC
What are the basic issues these days?
I saw a boot camp program on the military channel the other day and it looked like the Recruits didn't have to wear the very uncomfortable combat boots that I was stuck with wearing. It looked like the had on some type of black colored Danner boots. Those are really nice if thats what there being issued these days.

current issue is 3 sets of jungle digi's, 2 sets desert digi's, 1 set brown combat boots and 1 set jungle boots (breathing holes)

?

Have any pic's of the new issue you can post in here?
What's a digi? Is that the new word for cammies or what? Obviously the terminology has changed some.
Are brown boots dark brown? How do they look? Are they plain combat boots or nice Danners? What color are the jungle boots? I mean the cloth part of the jungle boot, I'm assuming the leather in the jungle boot is still black but the cloth came in olive drab or black when I was in there.

possibly, the army just brought there new digi's into the sytem, i dont know the specifics on when the army is issuing the new stuff, but frankly, it doesnt bother me :),

I went to then Island on feb 7 2005. the above issue is correct. they are Bates made and also Belleville boots. they're both issued. suede with rubber soles. Pretty comfortable when you break them in. You are given a 300 prepaid card that comes out of your first paycheck for a toothbrush and toiletries and crap like that. you're also issued you charlies, alphas, corofram, and covers both pis$ cover and barracks cover. you get the woolly pulley sweater all your trousers and garment bag. the pt gear is also issued...short green shorts green skivvy shirts white socks black socks(for charlies alphas etc.) brown boot socks for utilities (our Drill Instructors wouldn't let us call them digis! we got seabags and smaller carry on bags we called didy bags. and also hygiene bags as well.

that is about all I can think of as far as clothing goes. i hope this helped. i will try to get my camera out and take a picture of all the stuff i still have form boot camp!.

The Army's new ACU (Army Combat Uniform) is essentially the same pattern as the Marines' uniform but without the black.

army_uniform_1.jpg

I'm not sure about the Marines but, the Army boots look like this.

army_uniform_3.jpg

cheers for that

welcome back imp, hows it all going with the training? PM, im curious as to how its all cracking!

Answer/Reply.

Wow, the uniform's have changed alot.
Those tan boot's look more comfy then the old combat boots thats for sure.

the picture rndrsfe shows w/ the guy in desert digis, his boots are not the boot camp issued ones, those are the pre-Iraq deployment issue, there much better for the dessert, i dont know why specifically but they are supposedly. and for futuredevildog, there not meant to match a tree or bush, there meant to break up your outline so when someone is looking at you through NVG's they cant really see you to well or if from 25' or more its very difficult to see you, trust me i tried them out :)

Answer/Reply.

Yhea, they look like the ones they started handing out when I was in the first Gulf War. I didn't get a pair though because they didn't have my size then.

Both the Marine Corps and the Army are going to tan boot's. They are much cooler in the sun and also no need for plishing to maintain them (the real reason we're supposed to polish our boot's, not to look good). The digi's were coming out with the boot Marines just as I was getting out of the Corps in August of 2003. I am currently in OCS for the Michigan Army National Guard and I have heard (and we all knwo what that means) that the Guard will see the Army's digi's last, but they should be hitting everyone in Active Duty coming out of basic by this fiscal year (October). Hope this clears anything up.

Back