Votes: 2 18.2%
  • M4 is louder at a distance.

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • AK-47 is louder at a distance.

• Both are equally loud at a distance.

• Total voters
I will try to explain to you the sound of a 5.56 cartridge first off.

The M-16 and M-4 variants which both fire the 5.56 or .223 cal sound basically like a moderately loud .22cal Ruger long rifle..... If it had a plastic stock and was missing most of it's mounting screws. Basically from the shooter position you hear more of the plastic rattling and the buffer spring than you will of the actual report of the weapons cartridge.

An AK sounds like well...... Loud, very "thuddy" (if that's a word), and has a distinct feel to the sound usual to most wood stocked rifles. If you want a good idea of what one sounds like go pick up an SKS its a different round but very similar. Or if you cant seem to find an SKS, try firing a .30 Cal rifle with a wood stock then imagine the sound without a cracking noise.

Trust me the wood matters, it has something to do with dampening the vibrations when firing. An easy test for this would be to get two .22cal Long rifles one with a wooden stock and one having a fiberglass FRP or plastic stock, both rifles must be the same model, and two identical .22cal cartridges. You will notice an incredibly different sound from both rifles.

Last edited:
My company here in Iraq, we use the saw for supressive fire. I have the M4 and its a hell of a weapon. **** yeah. shout out to all my devil dogs out there, stay frosty

-1 LT T. Rector

I hear at Quantico their bulding a new Sniper weapons system based on the 249, it'll be all the rage.

I hear at Quantico their bulding a new Sniper weapons system based on the 249, it'll be all the rage.

Really? Why? What advantage does a 249 give as a sniper weapon as opposed to a standard bolt or semi-auto system.

Really? Why? What advantage does a 249 give as a sniper weapon as opposed to a standard bolt or semi-auto system.

No not really, sorry inhouse jesting.

I expect that target interdiction will continue to be performed by bolt action/semi automatic rifles over the forseable future.

//KJ.

But I was serious........okay not really. But this one time on SOMCOM II:smile:

Shhh! Do not let the cat out the bag here..
Do not tell them about the superduper secret decoder ring!..

Uhuh, I mean uhmmm....Oh no, did I just do it?
**** I hear the black silent helicopters are a coming..:hide:

Shhh! Do not let the cat out the bag here..
Do not tell them about the superduper secret decoder ring!..

Uhuh, I mean uhmmm....Oh no, did I just do it?
**** I hear the black silent helicopters are a coming..:hide:
Buckle up Buttercup black UH60 inbound.:shock::lol:

I attended the SFA Convention at Ft Bragg last week.
They hauled a bunch of us to a range where we fired the new stuff to our heart's content.
MP5s, Glocks and Berettas.
Also several variants of whatever they currently use firing 5.56.

All were louder than I recall and I shoot a lot of bigger stuff at home.

I liked a lot of the new features over the CAR I once lugged around SEA.

Last edited:
Back