Question for any Israeli's

usinfantryMOS11c10

My question is regarding service in the IDF.

I am Jewish, 26 years old, and I have served in the US Army as a mortarman.
I plan on leaving for France in a couple of months, to serve an enlistment in the Foreign Legion, in order to save money up for when I immigrate to Israel.

Here is the problem though.

Upon my arrival into Israel I will be 31 or 32ish. I've looked all over the immigration website, and on the IDF website and I cant find anything regarding military service as a career. The only things I can find are things like Mahal, which is for volunteers and it says the age limit is 24.

Can anyone perhaps tell me if when I do immigrate to Israel and get my citizenship, if there is an age restriction on soldiers who wish to serve as a career?

I don't really know what else I would do for a living there, other than the IDF or security. I will have money saved up so I won't need to find employment right away I would guess. However, I would like the added comfort of knowing that I could be employed as a service member, before I go and get my citizenship.

thats a damn good question...same one i have. im 24, and have 1.5 years in the us coast guard. 2.5 left in my active and 4 in reserve... so i figure ill be around 30 when i get there(unless of course i can nullify my reserve years somehow) im not against joining security forces, but would prefer joining the idf in some fashion.

Reply for your question

My question is regarding service in the IDF.

I am Jewish, 26 years old, and I have served in the US Army as a mortarman.
I plan on leaving for France in a couple of months, to serve an enlistment in the Foreign Legion, in order to save money up for when I immigrate to Israel.

Here is the problem though.

Upon my arrival into Israel I will be 31 or 32ish. I've looked all over the immigration website, and on the IDF website and I cant find anything regarding military service as a career. The only things I can find are things like Mahal, which is for volunteers and it says the age limit is 24.

Can anyone perhaps tell me if when I do immigrate to Israel and get my citizenship, if there is an age restriction on soldiers who wish to serve as a career?

I don't really know what else I would do for a living there, other than the IDF or security. I will have money saved up so I won't need to find employment right away I would guess. However, I would like the added comfort of knowing that I could be employed as a service member, before I go and get my citizenship.
If serving in the IDF is what you want then contacting the Jewish Agency without delay while you are still of the age to serve a term in the regular forces would be your best bet. The most common path is to make aliyah and activate your citizenship through the law of return. If you wait then your options are fewer, there are older veterans who serve at all ages in the Home Guard or MaShatz and some of these units serve in the border areas. Another option for the older applicant is the Tourist Police which is not a bad way to go for an English speaker, it may also be possible in your 30s to serve as a reservist. With all due respect, joining the Legion to save a wad of cash is not a good way to go. In the first place, taxes can consume a great part of that income and secondly, you should consider this, mon ami. Would you rather sacrifice your life for the honor of the Legion or dedicate it to the defense of the home of your ancestors? You may not survive the Legion so be careful how you hazard your life. The US and Israel are allies and share research and developement of military devices that have saved many American lives on the battlefield. US marine units are currently training in Israel for desert warfare as do US police departments for counter terrorism training and top gun pilots to enhance their effectiveness in air combat. Many Americans both Jewish and non-Jewish have served with honor in Israel in defense of the lives of all who live in the country against the same kind of terrorism that has struck the US. The Israel bashing comments of those who have not been there, have not served there, and have no first hand knowledge of the facts on the ground deserve little attention and less respect, internet forums are full of personal hatreds and prejudices. My wife's family has dual citizenship and I have served a stint in the IDF reserves, there is no army anywhere that tries harder not to harm civilian populations. You simply cannot get your facts from five second sound bites on the news. If this is something you want to do then contact any Israeli consulate and just get on a plane and go. I have no regrets,Behatzlacha, good luck.

Back