A Question For all the youngsters not in yet

--

June 8th, 2004  
Rotty261

Topic: A Question For all the youngsters not in yet

I have read a lot of posts from some of you guys that are not yet enlisted because your still in shool or on delayed entry program, and it seems that a good portion of you guys are wanting to become Special Forces in some branch. I do not want to discourage anyone but I have looked into SF myself and you have to be very determined to make it in any SF no matter what the branch. My last supervisor was 6 years prior Army Ranger and I have talked in depth with him and my last commander who was 12 Army Green Beret and to make it through the courses to be awarded that title is no joke. I am sure the wash out rate is very high, so I guess I am just trying to get peoples input on what they are doing to prepare themselves and maybe some of the other folks on here can help you out with a regimented PT program to make sure your body is ready. Then all you have to worry about is conditioning your mind to endure all the hardships they throw at you. Like I said before don't want to discourage anyone just want the youngsters to be prepared for probably the hardest thing they have ever done. But I am sure the reward is weel worth any thing you have to do to get it. Good Luck to all you future military guys and gals....
June 8th, 2004  
RnderSafe

SF is only an asset the Army has. SOF (Special Operations Forces) is what special operations units would be referred to when speaking generally. I know I keep saying that, but eventually - folks WILL catch on! (Tell the media too, please)

And grrr, on "Green Beret". Those are hats!

Good topic, Rotty.
June 8th, 2004  
Italian Guy

SOF SOF SOF SOF SOF SOF SOF SOF 8)
--
June 8th, 2004  
SHERMAN

He He...I want to be a Redleg, or MI....Not special forces.
June 8th, 2004  
Marksman

SF??never i wanna sit behind some howitzer listening some hard rock and droping some heavy duty shels on the enemy
June 8th, 2004  
Koldun

I've had several friends over the years who were Special Forces, SEALs, or Marine Recon. (In fact, my friend Phil -- Marine Recon -- has a cameo in the movie "Heartbreak Ridge"; he's the Marine coming out of the shower as Mario Van Peebles starts playing "Bionic Marine".)

Anyway, they unanimously agreed that their Special Operations training was the hardest thing that they have ever done -- and that the first ones to wash out of the training were almost the always the ones who had come swaggering in with the "I wanna be a Green Beret/SEAL/Recon Marine because I'm a real bad ."

I've never been dumb enough to want to go Special Operations. 8) There's always been other stuff to do.
June 8th, 2004  
FutureRANGER

I don't want to be an ultra-black secret commando dude, I want to join the Army, and if I like it I'll reŽnlist. Then I want to go to college and become a politician. Heck, who knows, one day I might be Mr. President

Not that I don't think SOF are the coolest things on earth. Every teenage male does (and if he don't I don't want to talk to him ).

And about my sn, FutureRANGER, I have no 'plans' for that, but once I'm in its always an option for me to try.

When I was little one of my favorite games was the Commando series. Anyone ever play any of those?
June 8th, 2004  
Marksman

all of them
June 8th, 2004  
Pogue

it's been my dream. I want Infantry, Ranger, and to be able to wear that green beret. I will achieve that sf patch or I will die trying.
June 8th, 2004  
TankGeneral

I gotta be an Army Engineer:My dad was. I know im going to enlist:my dad, both my real grandfathers , one of my gandmothers(NOT A NURSE!), and my uncle have been enlisted and im going to carry on the tradition!