Question on Agent Orange

phoenix80

Banned
I couldn't find much about this issue on the net except a few vague and general stuff.

Could any one tell me why it was used?

Thnx!:salute2:

Agent Orange was but one of the many defoliants used in Vietnam, there were different colors for different things.

The VA for years denied the claimes to Vietnam Veterans because the Vietnam Veterans sort of stuck to the name Agent Orange for all their ills, but it was the defoliants together which caused the trouble in Veterans.

All the VA had to do for years was prove that Agent Orange did not cause at least some of the problems which were being attributed to Agent Orange exposure, once the terminology was changed the VA really had no leg to stand on legally.

Defoliants used in Vietnam cause many problems in Veterans, the defoliants got into the Water Table, so, defoliants also got into the food supply.

Vietnam Veterans are pretty much covered Service Connection wise for I believe anything wrong (really wrong, as in bad things to have) from the neck down, last I heard those with Brain Tumors could still not Service Connect under the defoliants used in Vietnam, but a number of Vietnam Veterans with such problems were pushing a case not very long ago, so it may be bumper to bumper now.

Sadly, many were lost before any benefits could be paid to the Service Member or Surviving Spouse and or Dependent Children.

that and offspring were affected years afterward because, apparently, the defoliant is not easily cleansed from the body.

that and offspring were affected years afterward because, apparently, the defoliant is not easily cleansed from the body.

Agreed, and for that it would be, in my opinion, easier to go against the DoD, rather than the DVA, as the Department of Veterans Affairs is not real big on pediatrics, nor does the DVA deal well with Non-Veterans with Medical Issues related in some way to the United States Military.

The Department of Defense, and not the Department of Veterans Affiars ordered Troops into Theater, and the Department of Defense, and not the Department of Veterans Affairs ordered the release of a toxin in Theater, thus exposing United States Military Troops.

I say pay them, and issue them a permanent DoD Dependent ID Card for Medical Benefits and such, but I'm not put in charge of such things.

Well, other than a massive class-action suit, I don't know what would get their attention, as the VA and most military-run hospitals are busy cleaning their acts up after the healthcare scandal.

Well, other than a massive class-action suit, I don't know what would get their attention, as the VA and most military-run hospitals are busy cleaning their acts up after the healthcare scandal.

The VA has been trying to reshape its image for years, as the VA wants to become the Medical Provider of choice among eligible Veterans, and not just the one Veterans go to when there is no other choice.

The trouble at Walter Reed has nothing to do with the VA, even though when I read the paper and watch the News I see and hear the words "Veterans Care" used when talking about the trouble at Walter Reed Army Medical Center.

The VA still has over 150 hospitals (for the time being), 875 Community Based Outpatient Clinics, over 130 Nursing Homes, and many more Medical Care Centers, and, the VA still has room to grow, as there are some 25 million Veterans in the US, and more on the way.

Even though the VA cares for over 5 million, there is always room for more, and the VA wants more to use the VA System, because if it is not used, it will go away.

Touche. However, wouldn't one look at the current fracas and possibly be skeptical of VA treatment? That's the angle I'm referring to.

Touche. However, wouldn't one look at the current fracas and possibly be skeptical of VA treatment? That's the angle I'm referring to.

The VA would not treat Dependents in house, even if the VA were tasked by the Government to provide benefits to those Dependents with problems from defoliants used in Vietnam.
The VA would pay the bill for those Dependents with problems from defoliants used in Vietnam (if tasked) treated at a Civilian Medical Care Provider, and pay them Compensation if so ordered.

The trouble with that is the VA would have to shift the money for such away from Veterans Care, so someone who got his or her legs blown off may have to do without something or wait longer to get something.

Now, you take the DoD, well one can try and stretch a few more years out of the operational life of and Aircraft Carrier, do without an expensive Missile or 2 here and there (which will never be used anyway) add a few bucks on to the cost of selling used Weapons Systems to other nations around the World, use Military Troops instead of expensive Civilian Contractors for things, and come up with the money to take care of those with problems from defoliants used in Vietnam.

One of the strangest use of semantics there was.

Agent Orange is from the same chemical family as "round up" herbicide. What made agent orange different was that it was contaminated with dioxin, a powerful poison.

When it came down to it, the VA didnt see a product that was used all over the US at that time as causing the symptoms and problems claimed by the vets. so they poo-pooed all the claims initially.

The Army soon realized it was contaminated with dioxin, and kept its mouth shut. they then started systematically destroying the left over Agent Orange from vietnam real quickly on johnston island in the pacific.

its just like the current gulf war syndrome.

Back