Question about a Waiver for the Marines

53Fleet

I am a concerned civilian who befriended a young man attempting to enlist in the Marines in May of this year(09). He interviewed in Fontana, CA and divulged a misdemeanor on his record that happened when he was 12 years young. Leaving the principals office at school after a meeting he said under his breath:"watch your back." This was post 9/11 and the principal pressed charges. This young man's Public Defender told him to let him handle it....resulting in a misdemeanor count on his record. Now he is being told that he will be denied entry into the Marines due to this unfortunate incident from years ago. What is so striking...had he not mentioned this at the interview, he would have been in. Instead his recruiter suggested he travel back to Palm Desert and consult with the recruiter there. This lengthened the timeline, resulted in a longer interview, and then a request for waiver and denial. My question: would one misdemeanor disqualify a candidate or is the recruiter just telling him that a waiver request was submitted? Now they tell him that their quotas have been met and that he is out of luck. Had he had a father in the picture at 12 years old this never would have resulted in a count...kids mumble things under their breath all the time. My own son was written up by our local police for trespassing when he was young. Had I not gone and fought it in court(which resulted in dismissal) that would have been on his record as well.
Here is an honest young man that would no doubt serve his country well. I welcome any suggestions to make his dream of becoming a proud Marine come true.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I AM NOT A RECRUITER

Tell him Marines don't give up. It could be a test from the recruiter. I wanted to join and my recruiter gave me the I'll call you next week over and over. I was over weight and had a lot of piercings. When the recruiter knows he is serious things will start to work out.

Option b is you going in with him. Understand though that he is a grown man. BUT him bringing in back up shows he is serious about joining unless you interfere and start talking FOR him.

Good luck

Back