question about the Shahab-3

benaakatz

How much damage could one of these do to a city?

Also which missle would you rather have, the latest Shahab or the latest Jericho?

How much damage could one of these do to a city?

Also which missle would you rather have, the latest Shahab or the latest Jericho?
Shahab-3 is reported to be able to deliver a 2,000+ lbs payload to over 1,300 miles. In general rocket theory, range can be reduced (less fuel weight) to increase payload size. If the payload is a single 2,000-lb high-explosive warhead, the damage would be somewhat identical to that of a Mk-84 drop bomb, which was nicknamed "hammer" during the Vietnam war for its considerable power.

Shahab-3B and higher models, though, carry a tandem-type cluster warhead with up to five 600+ lb bombs that can target different points within a ballistic cone trajectory. CEP is said to be around 100 ft for each bomb. In this case, as the old saying goes, the whole is MORE THAN the sum of its parts and the overall damage is considerably higher. In layman's terms, that is to say a single missile can turn several city blocks into brick and dust.

how many shahab 3s does iran have? i read somewhere that they have around 100...is that right?

what are israel's plans for dealing with the missile threat? are the arrow and patriot good enough?

assuming iran launches missiles (before or after an israeli strike), how militarily do you think israel would respond?

i hope that the Israeli blow would be great,but i doubt that,in 1991 39 Sqads were shot to Israel and Israel did not even respond in the media for this,the Patriot then caused only more damage,but it has benn 19 years since then,the Patriot is better now and Israeli officials say the Arrow can deal with all the missles shot at Israel(i think they even said above Jorden)
and u have to remember that Israeli jets can fly all the way to Iran and back,maybe even from US carriers(unlickly but how awsome would that be?)
u also have to remember about the Israel-Lebanon Border with Hezbollah which is a greater threat to Israeli civvilans as it has more missiles he can shoot at Israeli people,far better capabilities than in 2006,but Israel has done it's homework to.

but honstly i dont think the area would esscelaite to such war,both sides do not wish a vast and open war.
Israel cannot afford that,Iran is dealing with inner problems and Hezbollah if u like it or not is still broken.

As discussed in some other threads, Israel has one of the worlds best radar coverage and a truly multi-layered air defense systems and its intelligence gathering capability in the immediate neighborhood is second to none.

Arrow missile system with the Green Pine radar is capable of intercepting any Iranian MRBM during its orbital flight in the outer space. For Shahab-Bs, that means their payloads won't have a chance to enter terminal phase and seperate into cluster warheads. Patriot PAC-3 can easily engage up to upper stratosphere and various other systems (including Hawk and Stinger) will readily take care of anything else Iran may throw their way.

480px-Arrow_anti-ballistic_missile_launch.jpg

Back