Question about recruitment.

justin1552

Hurr Durr
Ok, I'm planning on joining the army. My stepdad said that you want to join and then they'll take a look at my grades and say, "Can you say, Kitchen Duty?" He also said that with my grades the most dangerous weapon i'd handle would be a potatoe peeler, and that they would classify me as not being able to know the business end of a rifle. My grades are sort of good. 1st Marking period I got mostly A's, and 1 or 2 B's and My mid-terms for this marking period grades were 1 F, 3 C's, 2 B's, and 2 A's. So i'm not sure. Can any of you help?

Ok, I'm planning on joining the army. My stepdad said that you want to join and then they'll take a look at my grades and say, "Can you say, Kitchen Duty?" He also said that with my grades the most dangerous weapon i'd handle would be a potatoe peeler, and that they would classify me as not being able to know the business end of a rifle. My grades are sort of good. 1st Marking period I got mostly A's, and 1 or 2 B's and My mid-terms for this marking period grades were 1 F, 3 C's, 2 B's, and 2 A's. So i'm not sure. Can any of you help?

The grades that you get in High School could have a major effect on what you score on your entry tests when joining, so my advice to you would be to start cracking your books a little more so that you do not have to settle for the lower scoring MOS positions. If one of my kids came home with a F on their report card I would have a major one on one with them to clear up any type of selective listening phase that they may be going through. Don`t become a sh_t bird and let your parents or yourself down, turn your dads frown upside down, and if you need help with your studies don`t be afraid to ask your dad or mom.

I am glad you have the wish so serve your country. That is to be commended.

As far as grades, I will be blunt. The Army will take you regardless. They dont care so much about your high school grades as they do your ASVAB score, and even that you can get a waiver for.

The real question is why are your grades sliding? You obviously have the intelligence to perform well in school as you proved in your first semester. The same motivation and discipline you exhibit in high school will follow you into your future, college, career, or Army.

Do your best. Dont let things get in the way of your schooling. Right now, your job is to be a student. Part of being in the Army is performing your job no matter what that job is, and if you can start doing that in small ways before signing box 12, your attitude will be ahead of the game all the time.

I am glad you have the wish so serve your country. That is to be commended.

As far as grades, I will be blunt. The Army will take you regardless. They dont care so much about your high school grades as they do your ASVAB score, and even that you can get a waiver for.

The real question is why are your grades sliding? You obviously have the intelligence to perform well in school as you proved in your first semester. The same motivation and discipline you exhibit in high school will follow you into your future, college, career, or Army.

Do your best. Dont let things get in the way of your schooling. Right now, your job is to be a student. Part of being in the Army is performing your job no matter what that job is, and if you can start doing that in small ways before signing box 12, your attitude will be ahead of the game all the time.

I know someone who had a 1.9 GPA and signed up..I'm not saying letting your grades slide is good, i'm just proving the Army is desperate. When you're out in the combat zone and you have to wear full gear in 110 degree weather are you just going to say "this is too hard" and let everyone around you down? I'm not one to preach but work you ass off now, it will pay off later.

Last edited:
It's not that i'm dumb, i'm just lazy. I don't do my homework, but if I have a test or quiz, I ace it with ease. I'm already getting used to carrying a TON of stuff on my back, every Saturday and Sunday I go to this field with my stepdad, in rain, sleet, or snow, and I carry 150-175 lbs of gear while jogging. I plan on being infantry or Airborne and he said that those you don't need to go to school and it's driving me crazy. I know I can deal with the physical stuff, it's just if they give us homework like paperwork and sh*t to do. Also, the 1st Marking Period grades may have something to do with an incident at school that I really don't want floating around the forums, but if you want info on that matter, PM me.

It's not that i'm dumb, i'm just lazy. I don't do my homework, but if I have a test or quiz, I ace it with ease. I'm already getting used to carrying a TON of stuff on my back, every Saturday and Sunday I go to this field with my stepdad, in rain, sleet, or snow, and I carry 150-175 lbs of gear while jogging. I plan on being infantry or Airborne and he said that those you don't need to go to school and it's driving me crazy. I know I can deal with the physical stuff, it's just if they give us homework like paperwork and sh*t to do. Also, the 1st Marking Period grades may have something to do with an incident at school that I really don't want floating around the forums, but if you want info on that matter, PM me.

I know the feeling you have, I love physical activities but I hate doing paper work. But physical fitness is only one part of being a Ranger. I have trouble in school too, I can't stand sitting in a desk and learning about stuff that I don't care about...but down the road I know it will matter. I don't want to look back and feel like I really messed up.

I am currently finishing off High School through the Internet.

I was expelled from my previous school due to attendance, and grade problems.

From grade 4-8 (my first 3 years were spent in Hawaii and Australia) I was an Honor Student, had almost perfect attendace, and was a part of the GATE (Gifted and Talented) Program, of which I was accepted into for high test scores and advanced school work.

In my Freshman Year I was accused of skipping %85 of the school year, and after many meetings, was forced to repeat the 9th grade.

... That following year I was told I was going to be "let go" because I had many F's and D's, and had allegedly skipped over %80 of that school year also.

Now, I may be young and naive.. But I wasn't foolish enough to do such things.
I had never skipped a school day in my life, and I enjoyed most of my classes; I was innocent.

Will this history become a problem for me?

Last edited:
I am currently finishing off High School through the Internet.

I was expelled from my previous school due to attendance, and grade problems.

From grade 4-8 (my first 3 years were spent in Hawaii and Australia) I was an Honor Student, had almost perfect attendace, and was a part of the GATE (Gifted and Talented) Program, of which I was accepted into for high test scores and advanced school work.

In my Freshman Year I was accused of skipping %85 of the school year, and after many meetings, was forced to repeat the 9th grade.

... That following year I was told I was going to be "let go" because I had many F's and D's, and had allegedly skipped over %80 of that school year also.

Now, I may be young and naive.. But I wasn't foolish enough to do such things.
I had never skipped a school day in my life, and I enjoyed most of my classes; I was innocent.

Will this history become a problem for me?

I think they will take you as long as you have your GDL.

And just how far are you jogging with 150 lbs worth of crap on your back.

Last edited:
Don't overdo the jogging with weights on your back. You can destroy your knees and they can fail you when it really counts. And never use ankle weights either.
Do a lot of back exercises when you work out. If you have a strong back and strong thighs, usually the heavy stuff will sort itself out.
Here's a tip for carrying heavy stuff. Put folded towels under your shirt on your shoulders. The weight of the pack should keep it in place long enough and it'll put less stress on your shoulders. Just hope the DI doesn't notice.

And just how far are you jogging with 150 lbs worth of crap on your back.

Heh. I'm not really sure. I usually jog at this field behind the park near my house that the midget league uses as their football field during the summer. I'm gonna guess about 5 miles worth of jogging around the entire field. My stepdad is my DI and he makes sure that I only carry the standard gear which isn't that heavy. Until he fills it with weights, then things get not fun.

It's not that i'm dumb, i'm just lazy.

That right there is all I need to hear. You want to do this weighted jogging thing, so you do it. Just like you dont want to do your homework so you dont. I see a pattern here. Part of the responsibility of being in the military is doing your job regardless of whether or not you want to. If you dont have the motivation to do simple things like homework, what makes you think you could handle the job of point man or the tedious job of pulling guard duty for hours at a time?

I sound harsh and I apologize, but I am trying to open your eyes to the fact that being in the military isnt all fun and games. You dont enjoy every second and some of the work is hard hitting and high speed, and other things are tedious and boring. But regardless of how it rates on your excitometer, both jobs must be done 100%

It seems to me that you have some desire to serve and a good level of ability. Dont let those things slip from you. Apply yourself in whatever you do, military or civilian, and you will go far.

I saw no harshness in what you were saying. And believe me, I know the military isn't fun. But then again, did any of you that did join go because you thought it would be fun?

Does it really matter if you dont have the best grades. If your capable of comprehending the situation then you should be judged souly off of grades. But what about that. How does it work?

I saw no harshness in what you were saying. And believe me, I know the military isn't fun. But then again, did any of you that did join go because you thought it would be fun?

Yes - with me it was good times with some bad times on occasion, the best feeling in the world is flying cross country in a tank and engaging targets at a high rate of speed.

I would like to challenge you on running with 150 pounds worth of items, I find that hard to believe, even the most hard core would not be able to do that on a continued basis.

Like I said, if he did that, his knees wouldn't last very long.
It is a stupid idea.
But it's a free world and that's his problem.
Training is not some kind of torture. It's a smart, practical way of readying your body for what aims you have.
Hit the weight room and focus a lot of your exercise on your lower back and thighs. That will help you with your pack carrying.
For cardio, the elliptical machine with some levels of resistance will help. It helps work your running muscles while not putting any impact on your knees.

Just me but I never outside of one or two occasions ran with a loaded ruck for any distance. 13th is right it's alot wear and tear of your body.

And what was the max weight of your ruck sack and other gear, I have run 2 miles during PT with 75 lbs and that was a ass kicker. A 150lbs is a little far fetched for me.

Back