A question about rank - Page 4

--

August 24th, 2014  
BritinAfrica

In the British military a man could be made an "acting" higher rank paid or unpaid in that higher rank.

In many ways it was extremely unfair, if a Corporal (or below) was made acting unpaid Sergeant he had to live in the Sergeants Mess and pay mess bills which can get very expensive on a Corporals pay.
August 24th, 2014  
The Highway Man

That was me in the late 80s, I was a substantive Corporal in South Armagh on weapons intelligence. There was no available Corporals mess accomodation, so I was made up to local Sergeant unpaid, living in the Sgts Mess, I only used the mess to sleep as I spent most of my time out on the ground on terrorist investigations. It cost me a bloody fortune on a corporals wages!
August 25th, 2014  
BritinAfrica

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Highway Man
That was me in the late 80s, I was a substantive Corporal in South Armagh on weapons intelligence. There was no available Corporals mess accomodation, so I was made up to local Sergeant unpaid, living in the Sgts Mess, I only used the mess to sleep as I spent most of my time out on the ground on terrorist investigations. It cost me a bloody fortune on a corporals wages!
There was an airman below the rank of corporal promoted to acting unpaid Sergeant, from what I hear he struggled to pay his mess bills, I think that he demanded that he be reduced to either Corporal or Senior Aircraftsman. In the RAF there were no Corporals messes, they lived and ate with the riff raff.
--
August 25th, 2014  
Kesse81

Do you Britts still use the rank Lance Sergeant?
August 25th, 2014  
The Highway Man

Some of the Guards regiments have Lance Serjeant. Some cavalry regiments also have Corporal of horse, and Regimental Corporal Major.
August 26th, 2014  
BritinAfrica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesse81
Do you Britts still use the rank Lance Sergeant?
If I remember correctly a Lance Sergeant is a Guards Regiment full corporal, but instead of two stripes he wears three white stripes, while a sergeant wears three gold stripes. Lance Corporals wear two strips instead of one as usual in other corps or regiments. Queen Victoria didn't like the single stripe worn by a Lance Corporal, she demanded he wore two.