Question about joining the French Foreign Legion

sqrtms1

Hello

I need advice regarding the subject.
I have been thinking about that for the past 18 months and I am 2 weeks away from traveling to enlist.

While I do not really understand my motives, I know I am not in for a thrill, I have used weapons before and I loved them. Death is not something pleasant to be around but I do not mind, I would say I am in a time in my life when I am in bad need for discipline, and a sense of belonging to fill a void inside of me that no other thing could. I believe military tradition with all the hardship it brings will help me.

I am 35 years old I am an Electrical and a computer engineer, served as electrical officer on commercial ships, worked in construction, project management, and even cryptocurrencies. I am fluent in 2 languages and I understand French. I have traveled to at least 30 different countries and I did a fair share of reading.

I am a good cook, a licensed open water diver, and an amateur sky diver with no criminal record.

I pass the physical requirements but again I know all of that may account to nothing when being selected, yet I have a sort of intuition that this should be my next move in life.

Hello

I need advice regarding the subject.
I have been thinking about that for the past 18 months and I am 2 weeks away from traveling to enlist.

While I do not really understand my motives, I know I am not in for a thrill, I have used weapons before and I loved them. Death is not something pleasant to be around but I do not mind, I would say I am in a time in my life when I am in bad need for discipline, and a sense of belonging to fill a void inside of me that no other thing could. I believe military tradition with all the hardship it brings will help me.

I am 35 years old I am an Electrical and a computer engineer, served as electrical officer on commercial ships, worked in construction, project management, and even cryptocurrencies. I am fluent in 2 languages and I understand French. I have traveled to at least 30 different countries and I did a fair share of reading.

I am a good cook, a licensed open water diver, and an amateur sky diver with no criminal record.

I pass the physical requirements but again I know all of that may account to nothing when being selected, yet I have a sort of intuition that this should be my next move in life.

I presume you are considering to join the Latvian military. You said you are 35, that might be an issue so check if you are too old for joining the military. If that is not an issue. Go for it! it's much better to do what you really want to do than having regrets later in life when it's too late to do something about it.

I presume you are considering to join the Latvian military. You said you are 35, that might be an issue so check if you are too old for joining the military. If that is not an issue. Go for it! it's much better to do what you really want to do than having regrets later in life when it's too late to do something about it.

Joining up was the best move I ever made, my only regret is taking my discharge.

Last edited:
Well I won't want to go thru boot camp at age 35. Perhaps if the air force accepted you? At least in the US, the Air Force and Navy are much lore forgiving physically than the U.S. Army.

Didn't Voltaire say something about those believing in absurdities..............haha

Copied directly from the Royal Navy website:

"The UK’s elite amphibious fighting force. The team that’s on the most dangerous operations, all over the world. The one with the endless reach. These are the Royal Marines.

Royal Marines personify courage, selflessness and positivity in the face of any challenge. Ready to deploy anywhere, in all conditions by land, sea or air, on the frontline of combat and humanitarian aid operations.

Being in the Royal Marines is a state of mind: one that’s projected by the famous green beret, and protected by a unique camaraderie and unity."

:D

Copied directly from the Royal Navy website:

"The UK’s elite amphibious fighting force. The team that’s on the most dangerous operations, all over the world. The one with the endless reach. These are the Royal Marines.

Royal Marines personify courage, selflessness and positivity in the face of any challenge. Ready to deploy anywhere, in all conditions by land, sea or air, on the frontline of combat and humanitarian aid operations.

Being in the Royal Marines is a state of mind: one that’s projected by the famous green beret, and protected by a unique camaraderie and unity."

:D

Sailors pretending to be soldiers....the banter is on...

Back