Question about joining the French Foreign Legion

--

March 18th, 2018  
sqrtms1

Topic: Question about joining the French Foreign Legion

Hello

I need advice regarding the subject.
I have been thinking about that for the past 18 months and I am 2 weeks away from traveling to enlist.

While I do not really understand my motives, I know I am not in for a thrill, I have used weapons before and I loved them. Death is not something pleasant to be around but I do not mind, I would say I am in a time in my life when I am in bad need for discipline, and a sense of belonging to fill a void inside of me that no other thing could. I believe military tradition with all the hardship it brings will help me.

I am 35 years old I am an Electrical and a computer engineer, served as electrical officer on commercial ships, worked in construction, project management, and even cryptocurrencies. I am fluent in 2 languages and I understand French. I have traveled to at least 30 different countries and I did a fair share of reading.

I am a good cook, a licensed open water diver, and an amateur sky diver with no criminal record.

I pass the physical requirements but again I know all of that may account to nothing when being selected, yet I have a sort of intuition that this should be my next move in life.
March 18th, 2018  
I3BrigPvSk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqrtms1
Hello

I need advice regarding the subject.
I have been thinking about that for the past 18 months and I am 2 weeks away from traveling to enlist.

While I do not really understand my motives, I know I am not in for a thrill, I have used weapons before and I loved them. Death is not something pleasant to be around but I do not mind, I would say I am in a time in my life when I am in bad need for discipline, and a sense of belonging to fill a void inside of me that no other thing could. I believe military tradition with all the hardship it brings will help me.

I am 35 years old I am an Electrical and a computer engineer, served as electrical officer on commercial ships, worked in construction, project management, and even cryptocurrencies. I am fluent in 2 languages and I understand French. I have traveled to at least 30 different countries and I did a fair share of reading.

I am a good cook, a licensed open water diver, and an amateur sky diver with no criminal record.

I pass the physical requirements but again I know all of that may account to nothing when being selected, yet I have a sort of intuition that this should be my next move in life.
I presume you are considering to join the Latvian military. You said you are 35, that might be an issue so check if you are too old for joining the military. If that is not an issue. Go for it! it's much better to do what you really want to do than having regrets later in life when it's too late to do something about it.
March 19th, 2018  
BritinAfrica

Quote:
Originally Posted by I3BrigPvSk
I presume you are considering to join the Latvian military. You said you are 35, that might be an issue so check if you are too old for joining the military. If that is not an issue. Go for it! it's much better to do what you really want to do than having regrets later in life when it's too late to do something about it.
Joining up was the best move I ever made, my only regret is taking my discharge.
--
March 21st, 2018  
oz codger

I tried to join, but they said I was too old!

OC
April 12th, 2018  
Warwick

Ehh???? How old were you?

They generally don't turn you away that quick????
April 13th, 2018  
oz codger

See my profile!

April 17th, 2018  
JOC

Well I won't want to go thru boot camp at age 35. Perhaps if the air force accepted you? At least in the US, the Air Force and Navy are much lore forgiving physically than the U.S. Army.
April 18th, 2018  
BritinAfrica

I always wandered around with a clipboard and a pen looking busy, so I was left alone.
April 18th, 2018  
I3BrigPvSk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinAfrica
I always wandered around with a clipboard and a pen looking busy, so I was left alone.
That's the RAF, eh?
April 19th, 2018  
BritinAfrica

Quote:
Originally Posted by I3BrigPvSk
That's the RAF, eh?
Surely you cannot expect an erk to get all sweaty and horrible like a pongo.