Question about Easter...

5.56X45mm

Milforum Mac Daddy
How does a Holiday that celebrates the Resurrection of Jesus Christ evolve into a holiday about a little bunny that sh*t chocolate eggs?

Same goes for the Christmas tree. Pine-trees were quite rare in Judea.... I just love the combination of old Germanic symbols into Christianity. Imo the Roman Catholic church was the first and still one of the most efficient Multinationals. Their pr worked smoothy and they had a super product. Who can boast that they can sell the after-life?

He/ it will probably have one of the baskets which contain an endless supply of eggs. The ultimate gadget for servicemen, a little napsack which weighs almost next to nothing..... but it will keep you firing for days on end! Santa also has such a sack, but for bigger people. I reckon that buny size might also fit on your belt and it doesn't have to be a entire rucksack. I wonder if that rodent will give up his sack?

bulldogg said:
It goes to the time when the Roman Catholic Church was co-opting pagan holidays in an effort to ease and boost conversions.

http://independent.gmnews.com/news/2006/0412/Front_Page/042.html

Even the name "easter" is pagan and has no roots in christianity.

I can delineate the rest of the holidays for you as well... they all have their true roots in pagan worship.

Yuppers, this is one of the reasons why, so I was told, that Jehovah's Witnesses do not celebrate holidays. One of the reoccuring statements I have been told is that nowhere in the bible does it mention celebrating any particular holiday or birthday. It just says something to the effect of observing them and paying due respects.

It seems that most, if not all, christian holidays have some form or aspect of pagan religious rites incorporated into them.

But please do break them all down bulldogg. I would be interested in reviewing them for my next theological debate at work.

Christmas was the celebration of the winter solstice. It revolved around the evergreen tree, a phallic symbol, and was celebrated with an all out orgy if the church's version is to be believed. There are conflicting histories from the pagans themselves about the nature of it.

There is nothing anywhere in the bible about December 25th. In fact the little evidence contained in the bible giving us clues would put his birth actually in late August early September for two reasons. One, this is when the Romans conducted their poll tax that had Joseph and Mary venturing back to Nazareth. And two the sheep were in the field. In winter the sheep in Israel were penned up and fed hay, it was after harvest that they would have been in the field eating the stalks and fertilizing.

Sidenote, the word pagan actually originally meant "farmer" or rural person. It was an epithet equivalent to the usage in the US of the modern term "redneck".

More to follow...

I do not mean to bash anyone's religion. There was a writeup on the catholic religion that I had read a loooong time ago. The hat the Pope wears, the robes they all wear, the different types of crosses, the saints, so on and so forth. Each practice or ceremony was adopted from a "pagan" religious practice.

Easter is named after the German goddess of rebirth, Eostara, whose holiday was celebrated on the vernal equinox (around Mar 21). Eggs are symbols of rebirth, rabbits of fertility, easter grass and flowers symbols of spring-- which is why they were all associated with this spring holiday. Chocolate is mostly easy to sell, but could also be associated with fertility.

vetwife said:
Easter is named after the German goddess of rebirth, Eostara, whose holiday was celebrated on the vernal equinox (around Mar 21). Eggs are symbols of rebirth, rabbits of fertility, easter grass and flowers symbols of spring-- which is why they were all associated with this spring holiday. Chocolate is mostly easy to sell, but could also be associated with fertility.

How quaint that the Germanic tribes saw rabbits as a sign for fertility, so what else hasn't changed? :) Doesn't chocolate only work on women? I heard it had something to do with the hormones.... is this also true?

Back