quastion| About viatnam war

Israeli_Force

Hey all,

I was watching the lost filims of viatnam war at history channel and i notice that at the end the guys who talked there said that when they came home after the war with a good filling they been welcomed not in the best way. even one of them said that people prefared to sit on the floor and not sit next to him.

So my question is why did u welcomed them like that when u knew it wasn't their falt it was the govrement falt they just fghout for you guys.

thanks for the answers :-o

-removed-
you have here a very nice guy who fought in vietnam. but untill he answers you, if im not wrong, they treated them this way because they believed the war was wrong.

-removed-
thanx for the answer and still i think its kind of wired because what could the Soldiers do?

and not to remind that they have been after a war that their friend and relitive got killed in whats making this more hard to them.

(sorry for bad grammer or spelling)

You know that is a very good question. I often wonder the same thing. I think its because Vietnam was the first war where people could see the horrors of what was going on over there. This was the first war that was that was televised and the first of the modern era that wasn't subject to military censorship. Nightly news would post the bad things going on over there like the accidental killing of innocent people like children and wern't showing any good coming from the war. Also, people were now getting drafted and didnt agree with the reason we were their to begin with. They didn't understand why we were sending our troops into battle for no apparent reason. They were often referred to as "baby killers" when they got home and were spit on. I think it was majorly due to the news broadcasts that unfairly presented the war.

I would like to thank any of our forum members who have served in
Vietnam and apologize for what you have went through upon arrival home. You are in our prayers and will never be forgotten.

Thanx for the answer bro

its halped me to understand more why that happend but still i think it was really wrong move from the civis to behave the troops that way its like been bertade by your own country (sorry if i discribed this to hard) that your are doing your best and fghiting and then when you come home and expect to be threated like an war vetran or hero you just get slaped in your face.

Ill be happy to hear more answers

Yes I also agree that it was very wrong of the "public" to do and no one who fights for their country should ever be treated in that mannor.

On America Vietnam was not a popular war and troops seemed to bear the hostility of the public as they fighting it, rather than the politicians who sent them there. A soldier always stands out in crowd due to his uniform, but a politician seems to go by a chauffeur driven car and is not seen so much

The media is much to blame. In democracies they are allowed to tell the bad news (the one that sells). In dictatorships they end up in prison or dead.

When I was stationed in Germany there was an American who had to chase the vietcong in the tunnels. I think they were called tunnel rats. He always slept with a loaded gun under his pillow. There were others who served in Vietnam but none of them talked much about it to us.

I visited that country a ways back. Quite pretty in the central highlands when the bad guys didn't throw rocks at us. I came home to being *one of them*.... it seemed as if everyone thought we were crazed baby killers and such. Never could figure what being *one of them* meant....... bottom line the country was against this war and took it out on us.

Fast forward to today's soldiers...... they are the children of those very same persons who treated us so badly... I believe much of the adulation for the troops today stems from guilt how they treated us - it is THEIR sons and daughters now in harms way.

That said I am glad that the troops today are welcomed home the way they are, and rightly so. They have answered the call to serve, many have marched to the sound of the cannon - and they came home to a grateful nation.

Back