Putin's headache - Page 2

--

May 1st, 2007  
LCPLSMITH

Haha alright, one, I live in Los Alamos, where both of my parents work at the Los Alamos National Laboratory, the same lab that creates the first nuclear weapon, and the same lab the has continued to create nuclear weapongs for the US today. Nuclear weapons hit in midair by other forms of weaponry (i.e. patriot missiles) would not create any type of toxic cloud. IN FACT, the only way a nuclear bomb becomes toxic is when to the two pieces of radio active material (i.e. uranium or plutonium) crash together, as one is shot towards the other with a precise speed at a precise moment. In order for this to happen, the trigger has to be activated, and this cannot happen from the weapon being hit or even destroyed. Nuclear weapons come from countries who abide by the Nuclear Technoology and Weapons Treaty, so they are all built to precise specifications. One such specification is that the weapons cannot be detonated by anyhting like dropping them from a plane from any height. One could theoretically drop a nuke from space and have it impact the earth and it would not detonate. They are built that way for a reason. A common misconception is that the bombs dropped on Nagasaki and Hiroshima, created by Oppenheimer were detonated on impact with the ground but in reality, they were detonated by the internal trigger. that alone, almost completely invalidates the argument that the US is worried about a nuclear clous driftig towads the US when the bomb is "detonated" in the air...
May 1st, 2007  
bulldogg

Can you read at night without a night light? LOL... thanks Lance Corporal, as you were, just do me a favor and put your geiger counter on silent, that noise is annoying as hell.
May 1st, 2007  
Gator

I'm shocked to see so many Phase III qualified Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technicians on one Board, and, so many willing to talk about the ins and outs of a Nuclear Weapon..... and, not just any a Nuclear Weapon, but a North Korean Nuclear Weapon.

Funny, if I were to post about such ins and outs of a Nuclear Weapon (besides being against the Law) I would be inundated for Official Links for things I Posted as "Fact".... Rule #6 would be invoked, with bump, after bump following.
--
May 1st, 2007  
LCPLSMITH

Hah turn off my geiger counter eh? I guess youre right, all that radiation in the clouds comen our way, that Geiger counter is gonna be off the charts... You might need to let me know how to shut it off, and why its annoying as hell. And youre right, I don't honestly know anything but what we learned in school and what I've been taught by my father (who builds the triggers for nuclear weapons), and what I was taught in the 0352 explosives and disarmament course at the Marine Corps Infantry Training Battalion (and helped the Ordanance Disposal team in Iraq disarm countless IEDs during my first deployment to Al Anbar). I talk like I know what Im talking about, but youre right, I don't, but seeing as how this is an open forum, and everyone is allowed to put in their two cents, I found it legitimate to share what I've been taught, true or not. How about this, next time, I'll throw in that little disclaimer (that Im full of my self and I think im a Bomb Technician, and Ill try and convince everyone I know all there is to know about nuclear weapons). Thanks you all, for enlightening me, so I can better add my two cents that'll be discounted by everyone who clearly really knows everything there is to know about nukes and/or the subjects at hand.
May 1st, 2007  
bulldogg

Being new to the Boreds Lance Corporal you may reference the title under a user's name for clarification of their comments. It was pretty clear to me you were stating a personal opinion.

Cayman, you may reference my links, second post in the thread, its been cleared for public consumption.
May 1st, 2007  
ASTRALdragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator
I'm shocked to see so many Phase III qualified Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technicians on one Board, and, so many willing to talk about the ins and outs of a Nuclear Weapon..... and, not just any a Nuclear Weapon, but a North Korean Nuclear Weapon.

Funny, if I were to post about such ins and outs of a Nuclear Weapon (besides being against the Law) I would be inundated for Official Links for things I Posted as "Fact".... Rule #6 would be invoked, with bump, after bump following.
I'm sorry if my knowledge acquired in upper division nuclear chemistry and mechanical engineering classes aren't up to par as your vast and infinite wisdom on all that is true. I guess American universities just don't teach us young 'uns the same thing they taught the older generations huh?
May 1st, 2007  
Englander2

Topic: Putin's Headache

There are facts and there are opinions, sometimes its difficult to notice the difference. However, there is certainly no need for ASTRALdragon to be in anyway ashamed of his youth or education. Were that the case, I should shut up for being to old, ( I was around before WW2), but despite all well meant insults I enjoy on these lines, they remain for me quite interesting, because they not only give opinions from people across the world, but also there is the chance to learn much, not known before.
I was up to now, under the impression, that nuclear reactions can be set off by a nearby explosion when thereby molecules are divided into other elements, causing more energy to be released than came from the original detonation.
It is pleasing to note, that the experts on this line are of the opinion, that this cannot take place by an explosion caused by (For example), patriot missiles. I just now wonder why various areas in Serbia are suffering radio active pollution, although the shells used did not cause an atomic explosion.
May 1st, 2007  
LCPLSMITH

Thats an interesting question Englander. Once again, I don't want to make you believe that I know all there is to know about the subject, but one thing I think we'll all agree on is that radio active material does not need to be detonated to give off mass amounts of radiation. I, personally, do not know a whole lot about whats currently happening in Serbia, nor do I understand the circumstances that brought them to their dilemma, but I would assume that they have trace amounts of various radioactive materials at various places in Serbia. But, once again, this is purely speculation. I know that when I was in Iraq, due to the fact that many of the IED's we disarmed were unidentified (i.e. they didn't fit under a normal bomb design), there was the fear of nuclear material within the shell it self. Because of this, we wore our MOPP suites, which would help shield some of the radiation, because we were told that even before opening the shell, the radiation, if present, would already be seeping out. Luckly, we never encountered any "dirty bombs", but the fear was there. We were not allowed to detonate the so called "dirty bombs" because it would spread the radioactive material, if present. That could be why the serbs have a radiation problem, due to the shells impact with that harmful material.
May 1st, 2007  
Big_Z

Such hostilities, but with tact. I am loving it.
May 1st, 2007  
Missileer

When President Kennedy was killed in 1963, our Nike Hercs were refitted with nuclear warheads and we got a little heads up on what we were fiddling with every day. The Hercules was designed to climb above a formation of bombers and then arc down into the middle of the formation before being detonated. Even today, a lot of the information is still classified as to what would happen to a Tu-95 Bear loaded with nukes. When a nuclear explosion occurs close to anything electronic, the EMP is enough to overload and disable most electronic devices.

When a nuclear device detonates, we had 40Kt on the Hercs, there is a white hot, blinding flash that will melt human flesh as well as metal fuselages. Then the shockwave hits with the force of a hurricane and pulverizes what hasn't been burned. Any distortion of the mechanical structure in a bomb will render it unable to arm for the all important fission or fusion to occur. The components of older nukes had to be aligned at perfect angles and distances from each other.

When the material goes supercritical, most of the fissile material is converted to heat and blast so the chance of the radiation emission from one bomb setting up a chain reaction in a nearby critical mass is nil.