Pure English

when in the world is the purist English spoken?

• Ireland

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wales

• Canada

• Australia

• Total voters

Anya1982

Banned
Right I know this may sound boring but its a question to see how much people know.

So we all know the "Queens English" is scottish but where abouts in scotland is it (I know).

Also where is the purist english in the world spoken!

Lets see if the intelligence of this site can be put to some good research use.

I will let you know if you are right or wrong :lol:

(hense I actually know these answers lol sad I know)

Well, I'm going to take a completely random guess but...I think England. They seem to speak much more refined English anyways, that'd be my guess

People are obviously going to vote for their own country here ;)

I'm not going to vote though, English is English...

American English has been blended with many words from other languages. There are many French and Spanish words for example in our vocabulary. Makes sense as both those nations had every bit as much to do with the founding of the New World as Britain. So the purest English must be spoken in England. Really a no-brainer when you think about it. What else would an Englishman speak?

I said Wales because they really have nothing else going for them so might as well pitch some credit (due or undue...)

on a different note. France has been banning curtain english sounding words from their language. I guess young people started calling weekends "le weekend". There is some language panel that decides these type of things to maintain the French culture. I guess the panel took offence to such words as "le weekend" and "e-mail" so they banned it.

Fear of English pushed the government in France to act in the defense of French. To counteract the popularity of songs in English being broadcast on the radio, the government passed a law stating that at least 40 percent of the songs must be French. A similar law was passed about movies.
SOURCE

The French government has passed a slew of laws since 1975 banning foreign words from advertising, official documents, scientific meetings and publications, radio and television. But they're powerless to stem the flow of English into the vernacular, diluting what the French call "La Belle Langue", the beautiful language...The Académie Française, the elite body established more than three centuries ago to maintain French language supremacy, has lobbied for years to keep linguistic imports out of common usage. But even while "le cash-flow," "le deal" and "le marketing" were banned from the latest edition of the Academie's official dictionary, "le dead-heat" and "le boom" slipped in. Often, it's because there's an English word where there's no French one.
SOURCE

all too amusing

lol thanks eaglestrike
i think we can cross USA< canada and Australia off the list.
USA because it is so culturally diverse and as a result other words are seeping into peoples lexicon
Canada because well, the whole "French Canada" means taht it isn't pure english
Australia because, well, struth cobber, we could never speek dem words good ever!!
im not sure abt the different cultures in the UK, tho i dont think England speaks the language the best.
im going to take a punt and say its either Ireland or Scotland

Well English crossed over into Ireland later on didn't it? In fact, Irish is a different language from English.
Actually an interesting note is one of the orignal speakers of English, the Bretons are now in France.

i know abt enlgish crosing over there, what i meant is that scotland, ireland and wales are less culturalyl diverse than england, meaning the english they speak probably has fewer words adopted from other cultures.
but im no expert at all, im oging merely on what i see on TV (ie i dont know jack!!!)

Hmmmm, Maybe it's Scotland then. Isolated, they do speak English... pretty much everything around them is pretty local.
Then again slang ruins everything.
It might actually be Pitcairn. LOL

lol you cant say billy connolly speaks english!!!!
all i know is he speaks pretty much every swear word that has been invented, and then some!!

Doesn't say "best" it says "purest". Englishmen would obviously speak the "purest". However, if it's "best" that you want, I'll go along with OutcastHuman and vote for the Scots.

"I canna give ya warp speed, Cap'n. M' bairns will blow for sure!"

here you go

Off the North Coast of Scotland there are a bunch of little Islands Ilse of Sky etc.

They speak the actual Queens English.

But the purist English in the world is spoken in a town in Scotland called Inverness

Isle of Skye. It's the seat of my clan.

The "little Islands" are The Hebrides. Skye and Lewis aren't so very little either.

My mother's parents came from there. My father's mother from Glasgow. I have a German surname so people think I'm German and my father's father came from Stuttgart, but I'm far more of a Scot.

have to say

Half my family are from Avoch "Black Isles"

The other half Are from Co. Kildare in southern Ireland.

Amazing thing is me and my bro are the only english in family and thats cus we were born here lol

If you listen to the inverness accent they don't sound northern scottish like they should, they sound like an off english with a scottish twang

Back