Pure English - Page 2

View Poll Results :when in the world is the purist English spoken?
England 16 53.33%
Scotland 6 20.00%
Ireland 1 3.33%
Wales 1 3.33%
USA 5 16.67%
Canada 0 0%
Australia 1 3.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

--
Boots

January 28th, 2005  
A Can of Man

Well English crossed over into Ireland later on didn't it? In fact, Irish is a different language from English.
Actually an interesting note is one of the orignal speakers of English, the Bretons are now in France.
January 28th, 2005  
Locke

i know abt enlgish crosing over there, what i meant is that scotland, ireland and wales are less culturalyl diverse than england, meaning the english they speak probably has fewer words adopted from other cultures.
but im no expert at all, im oging merely on what i see on TV (ie i dont know jack!!!)
January 28th, 2005  
A Can of Man

Hmmmm, Maybe it's Scotland then. Isolated, they do speak English... pretty much everything around them is pretty local.
Then again slang ruins everything.
It might actually be Pitcairn. LOL
--
Boots
January 28th, 2005  
Locke

lol you cant say billy connolly speaks english!!!!
all i know is he speaks pretty much every swear word that has been invented, and then some!!
January 28th, 2005  
Charge 7

Doesn't say "best" it says "purest". Englishmen would obviously speak the "purest". However, if it's "best" that you want, I'll go along with OutcastHuman and vote for the Scots.

"I canna give ya warp speed, Cap'n. M' bairns will blow for sure!"
January 28th, 2005  
Anya1982

Topic: here you go

Off the North Coast of Scotland there are a bunch of little Islands Ilse of Sky etc.

They speak the actual Queens English.

But the purist English in the world is spoken in a town in Scotland called Inverness
January 28th, 2005  
Charge 7

Isle of Skye. It's the seat of my clan.

The "little Islands" are The Hebrides. Skye and Lewis aren't so very little either.

My mother's parents came from there. My father's mother from Glasgow. I have a German surname so people think I'm German and my father's father came from Stuttgart, but I'm far more of a Scot.
January 28th, 2005  
Anya1982

Topic: have to say

Half my family are from Avoch "Black Isles"

The other half Are from Co. Kildare in southern Ireland.

Amazing thing is me and my bro are the only english in family and thats cus we were born here lol

If you listen to the inverness accent they don't sound northern scottish like they should, they sound like an off english with a scottish twang
January 28th, 2005  
A Can of Man

That's interesting!
January 28th, 2005  
Anya1982

Ah well I know alot, I just talk about the useless information rather than the intelligent stuff lol