Pure Beautiful

00000034.jpg

I have experienced it many times here in Denmark.
We call it Sort sol (Danish for "black sun").

Sort sol is a nature phenomenon in the marshlands in southwestern Jutland, Denmark, in particular in the marsh. Very large numbers of migrational starlings gather there in spring and autumn when they move between their winter grounds in southern Europe and their summer breeding grounds in Scandinavia and other countries near the Baltic Sea.

Sort sol takes place in the hours just after sunset. The birds gather in large flocks and form huge formations in the sky just before they decide for a location to roost for the night. The movements of the formations have been likened to kind of a dance or ballet and the birds are so numerous that they seem to obliterate the sunset, hence the term black sun. Sort sol in the marsh can occasionally comprise a formation with up to one million birds. Usually flocks break up when the number of individuals exceed about half a million birds due to excessive internal disturbances in the flock.

If a predator bird enters the flock, the starlings initiate a veritable bombardment with droppings and vomit that soil the feathers of the predator. In rare cases the sticky deposits may render the predator unable to stay airborne. Over 20 years, there have been two confirmed cases of young Northern Goshawks that drowned because the incident took place over water

Give me a call, black lab, a duck blind, and my shotgun. I'd be in pure hunting heaven.

I've seens that but with Florida Mallards, Blue Wing and Green Wing Teal ducks.

You would be a marks man with a bow and arrow. Or you could hit two birds with one stone :)

It does bring out the hippy in me though.

This is beautiful! Is it a real photo with no effects applied to it, or is it edited in pdf editor or other program alike?

It does bring out the hippy in me though.

The "hippy" in you, dougal? I don't believe you even have a hippy side, unless it's made an appearance in my absence! Pictures or it didn't happen!

But really, that is an absolutely incredible video. Thank you so much for sharing it.

Back