Purchased another Shotgun (I'm getting pretty bad)

5.56X45mm

Milforum Mac Daddy
I went to the gun show excepting to buy a thirty dollar stock for my Remington 870. I came out with a two hundred and thirty eight dollar Chi-Com Winchester 1897 Riot Shotgun Clone.......

Yeah, I hate buying Chi-Com crap but this gun was a steal. I always carry my Blue Book of Gun Values and the listed price for a 100% Condition Norinco Model 1897 Riot Shotgun is $275. This one was tagged at $259. I was able to talk the dealer down to $220. SO after the $5 Background Check Fee and the 7% Sales Tax. It came out to a total of $238.

It's not the smoothest shotgun action. Real Winchester are much sweeter but they also go for over a $1,000 in new condition. I wanted one for a long while for both WWII Reenacting (Riot and Trench Guns were issued) and also for Cowboy Action Shooting. SASS Rules state that I must use firearms that were designed before 1900. The 1897 Riot Shotgun was one of the original designs. The Trench Model came out during WWI.

I've been smoothing up the action. Took it apart and cleaned it up. Also working the action a couple thousand times will smooth it up because all of the nicks and burrs and worn down. Later I will apply some Flitz Metal Polisher and work the action for a couple of hours (Watching a good movie or two). That will really smooth it up.

Oh, before I forget. This clone is like the original. It does not have the trigger disconnector like a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500. That means as long as I hold the trigger and work the action. The weapon will fire. Picture six 00Buck being fired under the span of two seconds..... ;D

YL-1897-800px.jpg

Real pictures coming soon...

Shame on you for buying a Chi-Com knock-off. Shame, shame, shame. :wink:
Frankly I wasn't even aware Chi-Com made a copy, then again what have they NOT copied?

Had it been me I would have gone for an M1 Carbine, M1 or even a 1903A4 Springfield with a 2.2x Weaver scope. But thats just me. I don't like Shotguns much (I dislike the kick), I prefer the simplicity of the bolt action rifle.

Last edited:
Oh, before I forget. This clone is like the original. It does not have the trigger disconnector like a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500. That means as long as I hold the trigger and work the action. The weapon will fire. Picture six 00Buck being fired under the span of two seconds..... ;D

That was gonna be my question. All I can say is .......Sweet.

Are you a fan of M1014 Combat Shotgun or Benelli Super 90 M4? heh

Nice shotgun, 5.56. Waiting on your real pics. heh

Soon... I will have a Benelli M4 Shotgun. I have two M1 Super 90s. One in Twenty Gauge and another in Twelve Gauge.... Great damn shotguns.

I've always been a fan of the Saiga-12 shotgun, basically a 12 gauge semi-auto Kalashnikov. If I had the dough, I'd DEFINITELY shell out for one of these Tromix modifications.

http://www.tromix.com/Welcome.htm

It's a real shame they're not allowed to import the Saiga-12 SWAT version made in Russia, it has a bolt hold-open device and a magazine guide so you don't have to rock 'em in like on every other AK. I'm told that is a lot harder with shotshells.

Last edited:
WHAT A DAMN PIECE OF CRAP

PIECE OF COMPLETE CRAP

IT JAMMED AND THE REAR RECEIVER PIN SNAPPED IN HALF. THIS WAS WITHIN LESS THEN FIVE SHOTS. I HAVE ALWAYS SAID THAT BUYING CHI-COM NORINCO MADE GUNS WERE A WASTE OF MONEY AND I STAND BY MY COMMENT. I MADE THE MISTAKE OF GIVING NORINCO A SECOND CHANCE. I WAS WRONG.

It pays to be patriotic ;)

Yeah... The Ghost of John Moses Browning himself had something to do with this.

I was able to contact the dealer that sold me the shotgun. They're located in Naples, Florida. That's the west side of the Great State of Florida. It's about a hour and a half drive across. They said that they will either send the shotgun back to Norinco (No) or that I can get a full refund in Store Credit if I drive to their store (Yes).

So I'm going to the store this Saturday (Oct 6) and I'm going to buy something else with the refund. I don't what yet. Maybe another firearm, maybe magazines for my firearms, maybe ammo. I don't know but at least I'm getting a refund.

Thank John Moses Browning for that.... he was pissed that I bought a cheap Chi-Com knock off instead of the real deal.

Psst... get the Saiga-12, I found one for like $450 at the cheapest.

Naw actually do what you want, I wanted you to get a Saiga for my own selfish reason; I don't know anyone who's shot one yet, but man it looks good on paper!

Yeah... The Ghost of John Moses Browning himself had something to do with this.

I was able to contact the dealer that sold me the shotgun. They're located in Naples, Florida. That's the west side of the Great State of Florida. It's about a hour and a half drive across. They said that they will either send the shotgun back to Norinco (No) or that I can get a full refund in Store Credit if I drive to their store (Yes).

So I'm going to the store this Saturday (Oct 6) and I'm going to buy something else with the refund. I don't what yet. Maybe another firearm, maybe magazines for my firearms, maybe ammo. I don't know but at least I'm getting a refund.

Thank John Moses Browning for that.... he was pissed that I bought a cheap Chi-Com knock off instead of the real deal.

Talk about Divine Intervention. John Browning just punished you from beyond the grave for buying a cheap knock-off of his gun.

Like Zeus hurling lightening bolts from Mt.Olympus.

And naw, save up and get the original Winchester 1897, Or the Winchester 73 (I loved that gun). My Granddad "found" one at the conclusion of WWII in Germany and brought it back. Unfortunately it was stolen in a buglary 25 years ago. -Grandad was pissed, so was I, that was my favorite piece.

Last edited:
Sorry for the off-topic. Mmarsh, your grandad "found" Winchester 73 in Germany?

Sorry for the off-topic. Mmarsh, your grandad "found" Winchester 73 in Germany?

Just slightly OT, but yes. As the fall of Germany was approaching the was a tremendous demand for any type of gun to arm the Volksgrendiers. When the war ended there was these huge supplies of every gun imaginable.

5.56 would have been in pig-heaven.

My Granddad was a Senior U.S officer in Germany, He brought back a bunch a guns including a P08 Lugar (which was also stolen), the Winchester, a rifle from Napoleon era, a KAR 98 (in bad condition) and couple of other antiques that I don't remember. They are all in my uncle's attic

My uncle has no interest in firearms, when I move back to the states I am going to see if I can get them, and maybe restore them.

13th Redneck

In the states, all retailers by law have to take back defective returns. They don't have to give store credit, but they usually do because customer service is very important in the USA. (Moreso than in Europe, although thats changing). The worst that could happen to 5.56 is that they would give another chi-com, but its unlikely. I worked retail for 3 years, store credit is an easy option for a store because that 'credit' still has to be spent within the store. The money never goes elsewhere as in a full refund. Futhermore, the customer is not pissed off like 5.56 is right now and takes his future business elsewhere.

Last edited:
Just slightly OT, but yes. As the fall of Germany was approaching the was a tremendous demand for any type of gun to arm the Volksgrendiers. When the war ended there was these huge supplies of every gun imaginable.

5.56 would have been in pig-heaven.

My Granddad was a Senior U.S officer in Germany, He brought back a bunch a guns including a P08 Lugar (which was also stolen), the Winchester, a rifle from Napoleon era, a KAR 98 (in bad condition) and couple of other antiques that I don't remember. They are all in my uncle's attic

My uncle has no interest in firearms, when I move back to the states I am going to see if I can get them, and maybe restore them.

You're right, I would have been in pig heaven. Before WWII, many firearms were sold all over the world. Hermann Göring owned a Smith & Wesosn Military & Police Model K revolver. Just because it was germany did not mena that the world's most popular firearms would not have been sold there before the war. Colt, Smith & Wesson, Winchester, Stevens, Savage Arms, Ithaca, Browning, etc...

When I was in the sandbox. It was the same deal. I saw many firearms that I wished I could have taken home with me as a war trophy but today's world is much different than that of those that fought in WWII or WWI. Bringing back anything was a no-no.... I handled STG-44s, MP-40s, AK-47s, C-96 Mausers, Lugers, Makarovs, TT-33 [SIZE=-1]Tokarevs, etc....

But sadly every firearm that I wanted I could not bring back. Everything I also saw some more modern firearms too. Colt Pythons, Smith & Wesson Model 29s, Walther P5s, FN BAR, FN FAL, etc....
[/SIZE]

13th Redneck

In the states, all retailers by law have to take back defective returns. They don't have to give store credit, but they usually do because customer service is very important in the USA. (Moreso than in Europe, although thats changing). The worst that could happen to 5.56 is that they would give another chi-com, but its unlikely. I worked retail for 3 years, store credit is an easy option for a store because that 'credit' still has to be spent within the store. The money never goes elsewhere as in a full refund. Futhermore, the customer is not pissed off like 5.56 is right now and takes his future business elsewhere.

You're somewhat right. When it comes to firearms that is a complete different issue. 99.9% of the time store returns don't happen. You must send the firearm to the manufacturer to be repaired or replaced. With purchasing used firearms it is 100% on you, the buyer.

This Gun Store that sold me the firearm did something very nice. They said that they will either send the firearm to be repaired or that they will give me a full refund in store credit. The main reason why they did that because it was a new firearm that was purchased but also because it was made by Norinco. Norinco firearms in the USA are not going to be sent back to Norinco to be fixed because there is currently a importation ban on Norinco made firearms. There is such a large number of them in the USA that you can sitll buy one new but that is it. The ones in the country are it. No more will be imported.

Because of that, they knew that I would raise hell over it. So they will offer me the store credit, I'll get something else. They'll still their money and they will also try to fix that POS and sell it to some other poor sucker.

Last edited:
Back