Puppy causes bomb scare... Ahhhh, I love the UK

5.56X45mm

Milforum Mac Daddy
Puppy causes bomb scare

09 July 2009 07:51

A bomb disposal unit was called to Rectory Farm in Hingham after a puppy was found carrying a live 50 calibre machine gun round in its mouth.

The young dog was blissfully unaware of the consternation she had caused after picking up the bullet which was about five and a half inches long and badly corroded.

The chocolate-coloured Cocker spaniel called Rosie belongs to Mike Foster and his wife Jane, who live in a cottage at the farm in Watton Road, and is recovering from a serious operation.

“Rosie has been very ill with a life-threatening internal problem and has been on pen rest for a few days. We have to take her out for walks on her lead every day, and she was rooting around in the front garden as dogs do,” Mr Foster said.

“She's not allowed to chew things because she is on a special diet and I saw she had got what looked like a stick in her mouth. She was running about with it. When I finally managed to get it out I was about to throw it away when I thought: 'Hang on, that's not a stick!'

“I put it somewhere fairly safe and called the police.”

The incident happened at about 7pm on Tuesday and officers cordoned off the driveway to the farm, which also has a campsite and fishing lakes, pending the arrival of the bomb disposal unit. They retrieved the bullet and took it away for disposal.

Happily, the puppy suffered no ill effects. Mr Foster added: “I don't know how many lives dogs have, but she must have used up about three!”

It is thought the machine gun round may have been dropped by the RAF many years ago.

http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/content/news/story.aspx?brand=ENOnline&category=News&tBrand=ENOnline&tCategory=news&itemid=NOED09%20Jul%202009%2007%3A51%3A16%3A980
Yup..... they call a bomb squad for a live fifty caliber round..... give me a break. Walk into my pickup truck and I have boxes of live ammo rolling around on my floorboard.

What a waste of tax payer money on that.... It's a rifle round not a NUCLEAR DEVICE.

Proper way to dispose of the round is simple..... walk over to said puppy, grab said round from said puppy, dispose of said round in trash can. Simple as that....

Bloody hell... I've tossed live .50 BMG rounds into a camp fire. They just go pop.... nothing more. It's not contained in a chamber so the pressure can't build up.

But then again.... this is the UL we're talking about. Not too long ago they taped off a whole beach because some nimrod spotted a fired .303 case from WW2 lying in the sand. Everyone and his brother showed up in lime green vests, vans, cars, flashing lights, bomb squad, ropes, ladders, dogs, spotlights, crowbars, shovels, stretchers, everything they had. The spectators were pushed back a block or two for their safety.

They also had a similar incident with a live .22 Long Rifle round found in the doorway of a shop..... roped off the block, bomb squad, etc.....

But I guess this is what happens when you disarm an entire nation and make the populace afraid of anything and everything including pointy knives.

Last edited:
Yup..... they call a bomb squad for a live fifty caliber round..... give me a break. Walk into my pickup truck and I have boxes of live ammo rolling around on my floorboard.

What a waste of tax payer money on that.... It's a rifle round not a NUCLEAR DEVICE.

Proper way to dispose of the round is simple..... walk over to said puppy, grab said round from said puppy, dispose of said round in trash can. Simple as that....

Bloody hell... I've tossed live .50 BMG rounds into a camp fire. They just go pop.... nothing more. It's not contained in a chamber so the pressure can't build up.

But then again.... this is the UL we're talking about. Not too long ago they taped off a whole beach because some nimrod spotted a fired .303 case from WW2 lying in the sand. Everyone and his brother showed up in lime green vests, vans, cars, flashing lights, bomb squad, ropes, ladders, dogs, spotlights, crowbars, shovels, stretchers, everything they had. The spectators were pushed back a block or two for their safety.

They also had a similar incident with a live .22 Long Rifle round found in the doorway of a shop..... roped off the block, bomb squad, etc.....

But I guess this is what happens when you disarm an entire nation and make the populace afraid of anything and everything including pointy knives.

LOL quite frankly this doesnt surprise me one little bit.

This might have been more serious than people think. Was the puppy wearing a turban? Does not state in the article.

In which case the puppy would have had to be detonated by remote control.

Did anyone check to see if it had swallowed a cellphone?

I find the turban comment rather misleading as puppy could have been an Irish Wolfhound and thus an IRA supporter.

Ok I will stop there.
:)

Back