Puma to get Spike LR

johnnyQAMR

The germans have confirmed that the Puma AIFV will be fitted with twin Spike-LR along with the MK 30-2 dual-feed air bursting munition cannon and a MG 4 5.56 mm co-ax in a remote controlled turret.

Sounds good, apart from the co-ax. A 7.62mm MG 3 would be my choice.

Any one got other ideas? Let me know.

(note: info from this weeks JDW e-mail)

The germans have confirmed that the Puma AIFV will be fitted with twin Spike-LR along with the MK 30-2 dual-feed air bursting munition cannon and a MG 4 5.56 mm co-ax in a remote controlled turret.

Sounds good, apart from the co-ax. A 7.62mm MG 3 would be my choice.

Any one got other ideas? Let me know.

(note: info from this weeks JDW e-mail)

What's the caliber on the Mk.30? I'd assume either 25mm or 30mm.

Any reason stated for the MG4 op, rather than the MG3?

Yes, it is 30mm, as for MG 3 over MG 4 I would want the range of 7.62mm over 5.56mm for tgt's out past 5-800m that don't need the 30mm ie: infantry in open.

I would still go with 7.62mm, as on a AIFV the size of the Puma you can carry a lot of ammo no matter what caliber.

I would still go with 7.62mm, as on a AIFV the size of the Puma you can carry a lot of ammo no matter what caliber.

We'll IMO .50 is an excellent weapon for coax use. Just gives that extra umph you need. Aside from that, if I where in an infantry unit, I'd think twice before assaulting Triple A without some kind of support.

I love the .50 cal (i had a M2HB on my M113A1) but would not use it as co-ax due to its size and slow rate of fire (550 rpm) even the NZ M113's had a 7.62 L43A1 co-ax (up to 1,200 rpm).

The integration of the multiple role lightweight guided missile system (MELLS) will make the PUMA not just another military vehicle it will place it above the rest.
Lets see how many of these, due to his cost, they eventually build.

Best regards

The integration of the multiple role lightweight guided missile system (MELLS) will make the PUMA not just another military vehicle it will place it above the rest.
Lets see how many of these, due to his cost, they eventually build.

Best regards

Why will it place it above all other vehicles by going this route.

Because it will have a better chance to kill its enemies without placing itself into harmsway.

Thats my opinion.

Best Regards

The german gouverment council " Haushaltsausschuss" had the Weapon SPIKE LR for the SPz Puma give the " OK" .:bravo:

Back