PT

crazykid

well i'm new to NJROTC my first year i'm a Seamen recruit in a few weeks should be seamen apprentice :D but i'm new and i can max out in push ups(67) and sit ups(100) on the pt test but i really need to work on running and i was wondering if any one has any tips or suggestions on how i can improve my running? any advice would be nice thank you :D

Run, run, run, and run some more. That's the only way that you'll improve.

As for some small tips that'll help you in the long run (no pun intended), here's a couple:

a) When you run, try and roll your heels so that you aren't constantly pounding the ground and putting unnecessary pressure on your knees.

b) Take long breaths. The longer the period of time between breaths, the longer you'll be able to run since you won't be constantly gasping for air.

c) Keep your arms relaxed. I know it sounds silly, but if your arms are tense, you're wasting energy that could be used for that extra mile or so.

I was told these a few weeks ago, and I found them all to work very well. I hope these work for you, and anyone else who needs some help.

crazykid said:
well i'm new to NJROTC my first year i'm a Seamen recruit in a few weeks should be seamen apprentice :D but i'm new and i can max out in push ups(67) and sit ups(100) on the pt test but i really need to work on running and i was wondering if any one has any tips or suggestions on how i can improve my running? any advice would be nice thank you :D
Ahhh a seaman recruit I was a seaman ,but I just got promoted yesterday
by captain Garett so now im a petty officer 3rd class. Im sorry if I want off
topic their but are you im high school or college?

crazykid said:

How far do you have to run?
If it is a mile or so, just run almost everyday for about 2 miles or so.

just keep running..that is the only way you will get faster unless you build up lower body too...work on your push ups and sit ups still dont forget about that

crazykid said:
PT test is 1 1/2 miles at my school and i'm in High School
O.k. I don't know when you guys do the requirements for the Physical Fitness Ribbon,but try and get that ribbon it is for 1st years to get it.

Make sure you get a pair of running shoes. I know this may sound stupid, but I made this mistake. In the offseason for baseball I would run a little bit every day while wearing a pair of basketball shoes. By the time baseball season came, my knees hurt so bad when I ran that I couldn't even run to first base.

Back