PT in CAP

CadetGirl605

I hate PT (physical training) i can't pass it. I know i can run the mile because i do it in gym every year. I'm just not sure that i can do it every month. The guys in my squadron don't help because they just laugh at everything I do wrong. So now i can't go on any CAP activities until i pass PT...what do i do? :evil: :(

You can't go to a activity if you don't pass PT? Why?

Ok, back to your question.
So what you need to do is know what your limits are. Like say you can only do 10 push ups, then do 10 push ups every morning and every night, after 4 days do 12 push ups, and keep working up from there. The same could be said about sit ups and running. Just keep pushing, but do it slowly. If you do decide to do weights, then talk to a trainer.
The key is to work out every day, don't rely on CAP or school for your exercise. Just remember, it's easier for your body to go down hill then it is for it to go up. So I would suggest you get a friend to encourage you and possibly work out with you. If you want ideas for what to do other then push ups and running, let me know. I can always post that, I just don't want to do it now because I don't want to boggle you.

If you want to go out side of the norm, I highly suggest swimming. You can take it at a Jr College (don't worry if you aren't that age, you can still take classes) or find some place near by. Swimming is the best sport when it comes to working out every part of the body. I started swimming last semester with my College and I'm in better shape then I have been in for years! And it's fun!

CadetGirl605 said:
I hate PT (physical training) i can't pass it. I know i can run the mile because i do it in gym every year. I'm just not sure that i can do it every month. The guys in my squadron don't help because they just laugh at everything I do wrong. So now i can't go on any CAP activities until i pass PT...what do i do? :evil: :(

I'm replying to my own post... :? :? :?

I can't go on any activities because you need your 101 card and you don't get that until you pass PT.

101 card? You mean the ES card? Last I checked ES is optional. Not mandatory. Also, PT has nothing to do with ES, theres no connection other then you need to be in shape for certain NSCA.

Yeah, the best thing to do is work slowly on your strength. Trying to get stronger too fast can have deleterious effects on you. Right now I’m still recovering from running too fast too soon from track season that ended about a month ago. (Shin splints are a b :cen: h) When the male cadets laugh at you, you can smile at their ignorance that a woman's body isn't shaped like a man's, and there for can, and usually, takes longer for them to get up to par.

fronzz said:
and you need to be an airman to get it.
Oh, that too. It makes no sense that it would be mandatory! I hear about Sq's doing this and all I can think of is....WHY?! A good portion of cadets joined to Fly, not I'm not one of them, but really, why boggle down cadets like that?

Sorry....I'm ranting again.....I've been bored since school let out so I'll just go shut up.

ok, heres the actual requirements for phase 1 cadets.

CAPR 52-16 Cadet Program Management 1 Apr 03 said:
2-4. PROMOTIONS.
a. A new cadet grade is earned when the cadet completes each achievement (except achievement 8, 9, 11, 12, 13, 15, or 16, which confer no promotion in grade) and the squadron commander (or deputy commander for cadets) signs the CAPF 52-1 (or 52-2, 52-3, 52-4 as appropriate). When the squadron commander or the deputy commander for cadets signs a cadet’s CAPF 52, they are attesting to the cadet’s ability to assume the next grade. By promoting a cadet, the squadron commander is recognizing that the individual is capable of accepting increased responsibility.
b. There are no temporary promotions or demotions, including temporary or “field” promotions or demotions at encampments and other activities.
c. There are no discretionary grades.
d. Cadets will wear their earned grade on their uniform at every CAP activity.
e. Commanders should retain a cadet in grade if the cadet’s performance or maturity does not demonstrate an ability to accept increased responsibility commensurate with the promotion. In such instances, commanders will provide the cadet with appropriate counseling to include a synopsis of the skills and behaviors that the cadet must improve upon. A date for a subsequent review will be made. Use of the CAPF 50 Cadet Progression Evaluation is required.
f. A cadet progression evaluation using the CAPF 50 will be made at least once per phase. Evaluators will be cadet officers of higher grades than the cadet being evaluated, or senior members. Commanders may approve or disapprove the evaluation; ultimately it is the unit commander’s responsibility to ensure the cadet’s progress is evaluated properly and that he or she receives appropriate counseling once per phase.

CAPR 52-16 Cadet Program Management 1 Apr 03 said:
2-6. PHASE I. The “learning Phase” involves three achievements. Progression may begin when the cadet’s name appears on the national CAP web site. Progress in this phase is recorded using CAPF 52-1.
a. Cadets will not wear the CAP uniform unless they fully comply with CAP dress and grooming standards. Full compliance is required before Achievement 1 is completed.
b. Cadets should complete the self-study portion of the first three achievements. Each achievement is named to bring attention to CAP and aeronautical achievements:
Curry- Civil Air Patrol’s first National Commander
Arnold- US airpower development
Fiek- Pioneer in aviation mechanics.
c. The physical fitness requirements include successfully competing the Cadet Physical Fitness Test (CPFT) as outlined in CAPP 52-18.
d. Leadership training deals primarily with the military-style aspects of cadet life, using the United State Air Force as a model. To complete each achievement, a closer book test based upon one chapter of Leadership: 2000 and Beyond and selections from the CAP Drill and Ceremonies Manual will need to be passed with a grade of 70% or higher. After passing, the squadron commander may allow the test to be corrected to 100% by having the cadet go over the questions missed with a cadet officer or senior member. Records should indicate what the cadet originally scored to evaluate their ongoing performance. Some test also include performance exercises that must be passed. Drill is an inherent part of every cadet’s training and is required in the leadership portion of this phase. Every unite has an opportunity to demonstrate their skills by participating in wing, region, and national competitions.
e. Aerospace education is introduced in this phase. Aerospace education is a combined self-study and group study program. Cadets will take tests based on one module of Aerospace Dimensions, using CAPT 61 (January 2001). The minimum passing score is 70% for all tests. Tests are not timed and are closed book. Once the test is passed, it will be corrected to 100%, open-book, by going over the questions missed with the AE mentors. Records should indicate what the cadet originally scared to evaluate their ongoing performance. Tests do not have to be taken sequentially, but all tests must be passed to complete Phase II.
f. Moral leadership is introduced in this phase, and the cadet’s active participation is required. Cadets will receive credit for participation in moral leadership for their achievement. Participation in one-half of the moral leadership forums offered since the completion of the last achievement is required for promotion.

See Paragraph 2-4 of CAPR 52-16 Cadet Program Management 1 Apr 03
http://level2.cap.gov/documents/u_082503073142.pdf

I believeyou have to be an Airman to attend CAp activities such as encampment, but i have seen basics, so do not worry

CadetGirl605 said:
fronzz said:

No some of the Airman Basics have gotten it too..
Actually he's right, you do need to be a Airman or above to get your ES card. And yes, you do need to be a C/Airman or higher to go to encampment, however I think she is referring to activities as a whole...right? If it's just encampment that they wont let you go to, thats understandable.

CAPR 60-3, Section 2-3a:

"To participate in emergency services training or operations, personnel must be current members having completed level one and cadet protection training (senior members) or achievement one (cadets)."

alliehz said:
CadetGirl605 said:
fronzz said:

Actually he's right, you do need to be a Airman or above to get your ES card. And yes, you do need to be a C/Airman or higher to go to encampment, however I think she is referring to activities as a whole...right? If it's just encampment that they wont let you go to, thats understandable.

Well from what I am hearing, their Sq. has 12 yr olds run the show at airman and let them break all rules. he reminds me of the 12 yr old 1st Lt in Ohio, only i guess the ohio kid has a brain in his head. However it is not allowed for cadets to yell at other cadets. Please give me a number or an e-mail so I can help. I cant stand when things like this happen

I'm sorry, cadets aren't allowed to yell at other cadets?
Has the definition of hazing changed again?
I know that the regs say
CPP (CAPR 52-10), "Hazing is defined as any conduct whereby someone causes another to suffer or to be exposed to any activity that is cruel, abusive, humiliating, oppressive, demeaning, or harmful. "
But isn't taking it too far to say no yelling at all?

alliehz said:
I'm sorry, cadets aren't allowed to yell at other cadets?
Has the definition of hazing changed again?
I know that the regs say
CPP (CAPR 52-10), "Hazing is defined as any conduct whereby someone causes another to suffer or to be exposed to any activity that is cruel, abusive, humiliating, oppressive, demeaning, or harmful. "
But isn't taking it too far to say no yelling at all?

Motivational yelling is good, 12 year old squealing because the cadets mess up is not the solution. The solution is to explain the movement again and demonstrate not yell

USAFAUX2004 said:
alliehz said:
CadetGirl605 said:
fronzz said:

Well from what I am hearing, their Sq. has 12 yr olds run the show at airman and let them break all rules. he reminds me of the 12 yr old 1st Lt in Ohio, only i guess the ohio kid has a brain in his head. However it is not allowed for cadets to yell at other cadets. Please give me a number or an e-mail so I can help. I cant stand when things like this happen

And which SQ. might that be?!!

General said:
you cant pass PT? In Civil Air Patrol!!!! Ha!!

PS No yelling kids

US Air Force!!!!!! We are cool!!!! Paperwork is dangerous!
That was harsh. First off, she might be too busy, and second, haven't you heard? she comes from a corrupted Sq- I don't think they heard the new PT standards. (the 3 out of 4 thing)

And for the last time, don't say NO yelling. That statement is an absolute, and last I checked you need to yell when you drill, call a room to attention, or when you are motivating your cadets. I would like to see a unit ran by staff that talks all the time...

*steps off soap box*

Back