psychologist considering joining

DocV

Recently married, my wife and I are exploring military service in what used to be known as DoDDS. The lifestyle is highly appealing to us: see the world, exposure to folks from all over the USA, free room and board!. I am a school psychologist. She wants to stay at home and raise the kids. Please tell us about your military experience with the school system. Thanks.

Well, I went to DOD schools for 9 years so I'll try and contribute what I can.

First off the schools are simply put, far better funded then their civilian counterparts. However because of the requirements of the base where the school is, that can lead to some interesting places for the school. For example when I lived at Aviano they were hard pressed to find place for all the students. In one case a building they had scheduled to be demolished was saved so they could stick some extra students inside. Of course Aviano was a fairly recently expanded base. So they hadn't counted on having 1,000 dependent children to take care of out of nowhere.

The students should generally be better haved. Of course that doesn't hold true for everyone. If the school is onbase then you're going to have security everywhere. At Aviano the SPs would carry out a sweep with drug dogs every two weeks or so. Partly to keep drugs out, partly so they could practice.

Back