Pryor's Wisdom??

bulldogg

Milforum's Bouncer
U.S. comedian Richard Pryor died on Saturday at age 65. Pryor's wife, Jennifer Pryor said he suffered a heart attack on Saturday morning and died at a hospital in the Los Angeles suburb of Encino. Pryor had also been suffering from multiple sclerosis for almost 20 years.

Widely considered to have been one of the most influential comedians in the United States, Pryor broke many barriers for African Americans in the business during his heyday in the 1960s and 1970s writes CBC news. He was one of the first black performers to have enough clout to negotiate his own Hollywood deals.

Born in Peoria, Ill. in December 1940, Pryor had a grandmother who owned a string of brothels and his mother was a prostitute. He was renowned as a gifted storyteller known for his blunt, often raunchy examinations of race and modern life. He used vulgarities as well as racial epithets in his desire to reflect real life.

"You can do anything you want and you can say anything that comes to mind, just so long as it's funny," said Pryor.

Remember Richard's funniest SNL skit with Chevy Chase:

White? Black. Negro? Whitey. Colored? Redneck. Tarbaby? Peckerwood. Spearchucker? White trash. Junglebunny? Honkey. ******? Dead honkey.

In 1980, Richard nearly lost his life when he suffered severe burns over 50 percent of his body while freebasing cocaine at his home. A long recovery period followed, during which time he struggled to kick his longtime habit and rediscover his creative energies. Spiritually renewed by a trip to Africa, he declared he would never use the word "******" again.

Timeline:
1940 Richard Franklin Lennox Thomas Pryor III born to a prostitute mother and pimp father, Peoria IL.
1958 Joins U.S. Army.
1964 Moves to New York City.
1968 Releases record Richard Pryor featuring among other things, his Supernigger character.
1974 Pryor's single That ******'s Crazy hits the top 40.
1976 Bicentennial ******.
1980 In the midst of a cocaine binge, comedian Richard Pryor attempts suicide by dousing himself with rum and setting it ablaze. The self-immolation attempt goes haywire when the flaming man leaps from his apartment window and runs down the street, screaming in agony. Pryor barely survives the incident, and only after six weeks of intensive care and three skin graft surgeries.
1986 Autobiographical film, Jo Jo Dancer, Your Life is Calling.
1986 Afflicted with multiple sclerosis.
May 1991 Suffers a third heart attack.
1995 Autobiography, Pryor Convictions and Other Life Sentences.
1997 Lost Highway (appears in a wheelchair.)
2005 Dead (I wonder if Chevy will finish the SNL skit at Richard's Funeral)
What has happened to us in that in the space of 30 years we have gone from ground breaking comedy uttering words in an effort to break down barriers to where today those same words uttered bring lawsuits and protests? Wtf? A very funny man has passed that helped me pass many exams in high school (secret technique I will share by PM if youre just that bored) and it has jarred my memory to ponder this question. Have we gone forward or backwards??

Last edited:
Wow, I completely missed that on the news! What a shame for he was one funny guy.... I didn't know his background that well, but you could see he observed far sharper than he'd admit.
But to answer your question Bulldog: I reckon we have gone backwards, but we are not standing still. My guess is that the new generation comedians will use current affaires in their shows. And then you'll again have the the hilarious (or cynical as some will say) combination of human behaviour and politics at it's worst, silliest or stupidest.

It's hard to believe that one who suffered so much could make so many laugh. I've heard that to be a true artist, first you have to suffer. I guess that explains his unique genious for comedy.

R. I. P.

Your question as to whether we have gone backward or forward is provocative.

During the mid 60s when Pryor was getting his start stumping from one gin bar to another, the Civil Rights movement was still in it's infancy - the profanity Pryor used for punchlines was used by a large portion of our society (blacks and whites alike) and it's common usage was accepted by all. Today, about the only time you hear that kind of language is when it's a black entertainer firing one-liners looking for a laugh and it's usually being done before a predominately black audience. Because of Political Correctness, "black" humor is only the providence of the black community, whites are barred from using these epithets in either comedy or everyday usage by Political Correctness. Usage of these profanities by whites can often land the offender in jail or in a court of law.

Blacks are no longer forced to ride in the back of the bus (Rosa Parks), Affirmative Action has partially alleved (not completely) the inequalities blacks have suffered in this country since their days of slavery. This has caused a backlash among a small portion of the white community which continues today. Overall, progress has been slow but gradual. The backward movement (if any) has been of a transient moment and was caused by the actions of a very few bigots (black and white). Equality is still a bone of contention to a large portion of our American citizens but there continues to be progress.

Pryor's humor seemed to bridge the gap in some magical way, after all, humor is universal. Richard Pryor was one of the prime comedians who almost single handedly changed the face of humor by poking fun at the "combination of human behavior and politics at it's worst, silliest or stupidest" and went a long way toward pointing out the absurdity of the black/white divide.

RICHARD PRYOR (AND HIS HUMOR) WILL BE SORELY MISSED.

R.I.P. Richard Pryor.

Last edited:
Interesting how you interpret his question Chief. I linked it to a comparison between the current generation of stand up comedians and him. That's is why I figured that the current ones haven't got the need/ wish to analyse the society they live in. Some do but most don't! Eddy Murphy is funny, but he can sit anywhere on the bus where he wants. Because guys like Pryor (on the comedies side of things) had done the hard work.
In that respect I say we have gone backward. The political engagement is (understandably) less, because we have come so far!

Affirmative Action has partially alleved (not completely) the inequalities blacks have suffered in this country since their days of slavery.

Institutionalized racism is so wonderful!!!!

I saw it a different way

Ted said:
Interesting how you interpret his question Chief. I linked it to a comparison between the current generation of stand up comedians and him.

bulldogs quote at bottom of page:
What has happened to us in that in the space of 30 years we have gone from ground breaking comedy uttering words in an effort to break down barriers to where today those same words uttered bring lawsuits and protests? Wtf? A very funny man has passed that helped me pass many exams in high school (secret technique I will share by PM if youre just that bored) and it has jarred my memory to ponder this question. Have we gone forward or backwards??
======================================================================
Definitely looked like he was combining comedy and the state of the country in one paragraph.

Back